READ 180 and another thing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Elocin, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I have an interview tomorrow for READ 180 6th gr. position. I don't know much about it but I am studying up tonight. Has anyone done this (I am going to post this on job seekers too).

I am a little nervous because it is for an alternative education school.....as I have never had my own classroom, I am unsure if I have the classroom management skills to handle that level of behavior management issues. But I'll never know til I try.....I just want to make sure it is fai to the kids and not just take a job to have a job, ya know? I feel secure in my classroom mgt in a traditional classroom but I am not sure how different alternative ed will be.

Any hints, tips or advice would be appreciated!

3. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

In order to successfully implement Read 180 you have to have amazing classroom management.

4. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Thank you for that info. I am finding it hard to even figure out the pathway for READ 180. The Scholastic site doesn't tell me much and the other info I have found via Google is pretty slim.

Do you do it right now? Do you mind sharing a typical day? Is it similar to the Read Naturally program? I have done that and while I had the classroom/group management part down fine, I was quite bored (and really, so were the kids). I know 180 is scripted but is it as scripted as RN? Can I give them books outside the program at their Lexile level?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just feeling a bit adrift here at such a last minute thing!