Reaching out

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by lark265, Jul 1, 2016.

1. lark265

lark265 Rookie

Jul 1, 2016

I've been a Special Ed Teacher for about 10 years now...haven't had much luck with classroom management. I have some pretty good horror stories. I've been hesitant to ask for help, which was part of the problem. Anyway, this Fall I will be teaching a counseling-enhanced elementary (3rd-5th) class. I'm a bit nervous. I know it's important to start out strong. And I do have confidence in myself. Thanks for any advice.....

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2016

I teach high school level but subbed elementary sped for a bit. What age group did you struggle with previously and what management challenges do you want to improve upon?

4. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 1, 2016

This is really good to reflect on. Was there a specific behavior that consistently threw you off or a strategy you tried that regularly failed? If you can figure out what exactly DIDN'T work, you can start to ask help for specific areas to improve. (For example, with my student teaching and subbing, I consistently found myself starting off too soft and then struggling to maintain control later; since I know that's where I messed up, I can work on being firm and consistent from the beginning).
    Starting out strong is definitely important - but it works even better if you can pinpoint WHERE to start strong.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2016

Have your ten years of SPED teaching been in an inclusion or resource room setting? Which situations gave you the most challenge? Try not to compare your style to those of the classroom teachers you may be witnessing. Each of us has our own style and we all have to do what works best for us. I always think I'm a hot mess but my principals always like the flow between my students and me. Don't be so hard on yourself. It's something I'm working on.