Reaching Out to Parents

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutelilram, Jul 29, 2010.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Hi everyone,

My mind is spinning with all these ideas that I want to put into place this coming school year and one of those ideas is keeping contact with parents more. I was thinking of doing a newsletter type form of communication but I am not sure how frequently I should send it home.

Does anyone else here send home class newsletters? If so, how often do you send it home? How long does it take you to publish a newsletter? And, what types of information do you include in it?

I was thinking of mentioning the first names of the star students, important dates, and a brief description of what we are learning. I have a Mac laptop computer and I was thinking of getting iWorks '09 because I think they have newsletter templates, does anyone use this program?

Thank you so much and I hope you are all enjoying your summer!

3. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2010

I do a weekly newsletter. Once my plans are done it only takes me 20 minutes or so to type it up and print it out. I use a publisher template that I really like and it helps keep it looking more professional (IMO).

My newsletter contains a brief overview over what is going to be taught, up coming due dates, important school and classroom information, and this year I am having a student write paragraph about what they are doing in class and put in photos taken by a student.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 29, 2010

I send a newsletter home every Monday. It lists the objectives we are working on for the week, spelling words, vocabulary words and any updates/reminders. I also publish it on my website so parents can refer back during the week. Since I am just changing the info and using the same template it doesn't take more than 10 minutes a week (if I have my ideas together:)).

I find e-mailing parents every once in awhile with student accomplishments is appreciated as well. When I do assessments and a student's reading has really improved or someone did something extraordinary in class, it takes like 2 minutes to drop an e-mail (or a note if the don't have an e-mail account) and it makes their day.

5. appleblossom

appleblossom New Member

Jul 29, 2010

Like the teachers above, I also do a weekly newsletter that goes home on Mondays. I include most of the same things they do. I also list the homework assignments for the week and a website of the week. I have a "celebration corner" where I list accomplishments worth celebrating.

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

Last year I started doing a daily email instead of a weekly newsletter. It only takes about 5 minutes to do during my special or at the end of the day and parents just LOVED knowing what their child was doing each day... it really promoted communication between parents and children.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2010

I contact 6 parents a day M-TH and go in alphabetical order. I vary the contact so it really isn't all that time consuming. Usually I just write a sentence or 2 in their communication book. Sometimes I'll send a quick email or email a photo of the child in class and sometimes a phone call.

I also do a weekly newsletter, but it's just a template that I fill in with the main concepts of the week, important dates, etc. It's mostly photos, but that only takes a few seconds to drag them from iphoto into the template. I email my newsletter as a pdf.