Reaching out to P about a submitted application

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mathteacher2, Jun 15, 2013.

1. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

Okay I could use some advice. I am looking for a job now, and recently applied to an opening in a school where I interviewed and did a demo with three years ago (when I was first looking for a job). It's the same school and same principal where they have the opening, and back in 2010, we had some email correspondence about scheduling my interview and demo lesson. It was a good interview and demo, but I ended up accepting the job where I've been the last three years before I heard anything official from this school. Back then, I emailed her to let her know I accepted another position and she was very grateful for my email. I'm not sure whether they had already filled the position at the time of our correspondence or if I was still a candidate at that point, but either way, it was a positive experience.

I submitted my application online through applitrack, but I wanted to reach out to her in some way to remind her of who I am so my name doesn't get lost in the pile. I'm thinking a brief email to remind her of our interview and express interest in the position. Here's what I have so far. Please give advice!

"My name is ***, and I recently submitted an application for the open middle school mathematics position you have at *** Middle School. I don't know if you remember, but we interviewed together and had a demo lesson three years ago. I very much enjoyed meeting you and learning more about your school back in 2010, and I am very excited about the opportunity to meet again."

I was debating adding more (talking about the experience I gained the past 3 years and why I'd be a good fit for the school, etc), but I was leaning more towards keeping it short and sweet. I don't want to repeat what is already in my application/cover letter.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2013

4. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

Ahh actually I guess I should have updated you guys, that job didn't work out. I ended up asking the Principal if I could schedule a day to tour the school, observe some classes and meet the intervention team, and she flipped out at my suggestion. She was very rude and snippish to me and the conversation I had with her lead me to decide to turn down the offer. It was unfortunate, but I think it was for the best.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 15, 2013

Seriously? What did she say that made you think she was flipping out? That's crazy!!! Sounds like you dodged a bullet there if she was flipping out over you seeing your room and meeting your colleagues.

6. ksnooz7

ksnooz7 Rookie

Jun 15, 2013

I sent a similar email today to a HR person. She helped me get and interview that went well last year, I also took another job that I was offered and let her know...yatta, yatta,,same story as yours almost. I sent a follow up email today and I did include 2 sentences about how my interim experience would help me in her district. I think it's a good idea, but just keep it very brief.

7. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

As soon as I asked, she said absolutely not, we cannot have you here until you get everything settled with HR. Then she told me I seemed very unsure and I had too many questions and that maybe the school was not a good fit for me. She ended by saying they could not take out of instructional time and did not have time for me. So overall it left me with a very bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Seems like they wanted to get me in and signed before I had a chance to see anything I didn't like. Also her tone of the entire conversation was very rude and she was almost yelling at me for even asking.

8. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

Okay, thanks! Maybe I will include a quick note about my experience but I'll keep it short.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 17, 2013

Sorry to hear, but it seems like this was a blessing in disguise.

10. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 17, 2013

That seems nuts that she wouldn't let you tour the school/observe. The principal at the school I will be teaching asked me to come! Why wouldn't they be able to trust you to observe if they are hiring you to teach? Just nuts. You definitely made the right call by not staying there.

11. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 17, 2013

When I was hired last summer, I mentioned to HR that I wanted to stop by my school to check out my room and get copies of the textbooks. The HR person was adamant that I not set foot in the school until I was a district employee. I think it was a liability issue.

12. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013

I could see not letting me wander the halls alone and take textbooks. But I entered the school for the interview, I don't see why I couldn't return and see a bit more. Or, if it really was a district issue, have her calmly explain that to me and apologize she couldn't accommodate me instead of acting as she did.

13. mathteacher2

mathteacher2 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013

I agree, and it makes me feel better to hear it affirmed! I'm sad/apprehensive not having a job still, but I think it was for the best.

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jun 22, 2013

Wow…I got a tour and everything in mine. If they wanted someone, they should allow you to check out the school and get a feel for it to see if you want to work there!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 29, 2013

Definitely for the best! That is the oddest thing I've ever heard. I've always been invited to come back and meet the team, see the room, etc. I think you dodged a bullet here.