re: types of disabilities in your class

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by hope037, Nov 14, 2006.

1. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

What types of disabilities do you have in your class? Which do you feel are the most difficult for you to deal with?

What are the positives aspects and the serious challenges you face in special ed?

Oh, and please say if you're in a mild-moderate or moderate-severe. The reason is I am trying to decide which credential to go for. I'm in regular ed now.

Thank you for your insights!:) :love:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2006

Almost all of the kids in my Student Support Centre have a Learning Disability of some sort, most in expressive language. Almost half have behavioiur as a second identification. I have two who I suspect may fall on the Autism Spectrum somewhere, one ADD and four ADHD. I currently see 20 students every day.

4. luvspecialkids!

luvspecialkids! New Member

Nov 18, 2006

I have a Mild/Moderate credential and work in a SDC class. I love the SDC, but I really have a special place in my heart for those with Autism. But, the Autism classes require a Moderate/Severe credential, so I am going back to school for my moderate/severe. They are challenging to break into their world and keep focused, but I love it.

I have found that the mild/moderate credential is more academic based and you will see progress quicker...The moderate/severe class is more life skills and academically slower. The class ratio is also different...more aides in a severe class...

Did I help?

5. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

Yes, you did help! Thank you! I'm still uncertain about which route to take. I see positives about both categories.

However, a friend just emailed with some horror stories about special ed and now, I'm doubting myself. I know that these are the realities, but now I ask myself if I'm up to the challenge. He said that his wife hated special ed because the class was out of control. The behaviors were vicious. One kid broke the teacher's kneecap. Others were constantly going at each other.

Another friend told me that the turnover rate is high because people can't handle the stress for very long.

I know that these are risks we take in a special ed class. The behaviors are part of the curriculum/IEP goals. But gee, can I handle it year after year? I'm not young anymore.

6. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 24, 2006

my experience has been with the autism spectrum for 13 years and I LOVE IT. Yes the behaviors are extremely challenging and the kids can be a handle full to say the least. But I truly love the children in my class. I am working with the preschool level now but I started in the 16 - 21 year age group and loved that as well.... (and boy I can tell you stories)

Yes the turn over rate is extremely high and many teachers burn out quickly, but if it is what you truly enjoy you will know and be able to stay in the field. and yes you may get injured at some point, but I believe it is the most rewarding job I have ever had....

my advise would be see if you can spend time in a class with children with autism to see if you can handle it, and don't only stay with the mild side, you may find the more challenging the class the more you enjoy it, I know I did.... :)

Good luck in your decision.....

7. hope037

hope037 Rookie

Nov 25, 2006

Thank you for that. I needed to hear it. You're right. Somehow I feel the challenging group calling to me more...

I will spend time observing these classes.

Oh, and if you have the time, I would love to hear your "stories"...

8. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

your welcome.....

I will come up with some good stories and let you know....