Re-GIFTING!?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

:DI bet everyone has done it @ one time or another.
    Everyone I've asked @ work admitted to
    doing it AND the attitude is...
    "Why keep it if you do not want it? Let someone else
    put it to use!" Another one I got, "Well! I keep
    it for 6 months, then I put it in a garage sale." I am thinking, "What if
    the person who gave it to you shows up at your garage sale?"
    Anyway, I think it is funny that a lot of people do it.
    One of the parents gave me some cherry vanilla lotion/body cream/bubble bath set. I was showing my team teacher and she loved the smell of it SO I gave her the bubble bath one.
    My pug is on the body lotion, esp when he comes in from outside.:D Too strong a smell for my taste.;)
    Rebel1

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

I consider it like recycling! Better than throwing it away or hiding it in a closet. I give away a lot of gifts that I receive. Maybe not wrapping them up and using them next year, but more passing them along to someone who will use them.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

I tend to put most of my unwanted gifts in the charity boxes at the grocery store (Goodwill, SalvationArmy, etc)

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2011

I think one reason re-gifting has become so commonplace is that too many people feel obligated to purchase gifts for a long list of people...sometimes people they don't even known well enough so they're able to make reasonable selections. Thus the generic, unwanted gifts. Of course not everyone finds themselves in this situation, but many do. If a recipient of one of these unwanted gifts knows someone who would enjoy it, re-gift away! :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

Just take the name tags off first!:eek:

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2011

I think I am going to regift some cookies. My aunt makes us a huge bag every year. Actually one for me and one for BF. It's a gallon bag stuffed with cookies - probably 2-3 dozen in each bag. Now honestly - I don't want to sound ungrateful, but why the heck would you make that many cookies for one person? I think I am going to take them down to the firehall or something.

Other than that, if I can't return it, there are a couple little things that might go on freecycle.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

I do, and shamelessly. I agree with Justme, I get more gifts than I ever need. It is so nice of people to get me things. But I am not a saver. I do not handle clutter well. I don't need more than one coffee cup or lotion dispenser or salt shaker. So I will either throw it away or regift. Regifting is recycling.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

SEND them to me!;)
    I ate a whole can of cookies in 2 days.
    Rebel1

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2011

Yes, I've done it before & I did it once this Christmas.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

I once received a beautiful crystal serving platter for Christmas....that had a Christmas card to people I didn't know shoved into the box. :lol: I still appreciated the gift. I use it every year.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 28, 2011

Here is my regift of the year-I left home on the last day of school and completely forgot my student aide's gift. I felt terrible because he is really good as my aide and is a fabulous artist-he gave me a framed piece of his art, which was a poem he wrote on paper he made himself. Beautiful. And I left his gift at home on my counter. I could have waited until after break, but I just couldn't. So I took a gift I had received that I had left in my room (chocolates, soda, and other treats), and regifted. It happens.

13. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

I once got a gorgeous coffee table book as a Christmas gift, that was inscribed to the giver on the inside of the cover. The giver saw it at the same time I did, and it was a good laugh had by all, once she got over her discomfort.

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

Some gifts just really call out for another home. The item is too lovely and valuable - and at the same time, not my taste or I don't need it.

On the other hand, some things are regifted because they are just unlovable. Those should be saved for a White Elephant party!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

3 of the 4 boxes of chocolates I received for Christmas will be re-gifted--1 went to my mother-in-law and the other 2 will be put out in the staff room for all to enjoy.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2011

I have regifted just once-to my sister. I had received from a colleague a day planner/calendar. I knew that I would never use it, I barely look at my pocket calendar in my purse! I knew my sister would love it, so I re-gifted it that same year. She loved it!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

I think this is the real test:

If it's something you would have bought for someone else, even if not for yourself, then it's OK to re-gift.

If it's simply too ugly to use, then not so much.

My family is pretty large and varied. So I can easily imagine buying something for one of my siblings that wouldn't be my taste. Re-gifting something like that is fine, as long as it's new, the quality is good and so on.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2011

How about this? I ordered a bracelet and ring for myself this summer from a jewelry party. I got it and it was so small, so I decided to give it to my little sister. It is the spoon jewelry, and we both collect spoons, so it has a special meaning, even though I didn't originally buy it for her. lol. She is getting a trip to Disney this year (I hope) but I didn't tell her yet at Christmas, but that was at the back of my mind and she did not get a big gift from me this year. I regifted something I bought for myself.

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

I have regifted, in the spirit of I can not use this/or do not like it, but you might. I like to think of it as recycling also.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

Last year we did a White Elephant party at our school. It was a last minute thing. We did it again this year, a couple of teachers used items that they received at a conference (metal water jug & a scarf) for their white elephant gift. Yes, these things must be planned.

21. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

My in laws regifted this year but it was the most thoughtful thing. My son's GF was coming to the family Christmas dinner and they've only met her once but they wanted her to enjoy opening something when everyone else was opening gifts. It was last minute when they heard she was coming so no time to shop. They wrapped a gift FIL had received - a crystal mouse, numbered for authenticity. She was really touched to have been remembered.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

Me too. That's exactly what I do. I figure if I can't use it or won't use it, then better to give it to someone else who will!

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I can't say I've ever re-gifted anything... I'm not opposed to it, but usually I get gift cards from most and then presents from my parents and boyfriend who do a great job picking them out :D

24. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

I've heard teachers on here mention that they donate some of the gifts they receive from students to nursing homes who use them as Bingo prizes. It's worth checking into if you have some extras. I'm at a MS and I mostly get edibles - yum!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

Great idea!

26. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Dec 29, 2011

I do not see anything wrong with re-gifting an item if I think it is something that the person will like. I would never wrap the gift and present it as a present, nor would I give away a "bad" item to someone just because I did not want to put any effort into a gift for him/her.

27. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

This isn't MY regifting story but it's still funny:
    My grandmother would collect things in her basement all year long and give them out as Christmas gifts. Sometimes the gifts she did not want would go in her basement closet with the other things. One year, my mom received the sweater that she had given my grandmother the year before!!! WHOOPS!

I personally regift all the time... BUT because of the above story, I'm always careful about who I regift to!

28. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

My mom collects boxes - sometimes family members use that as an excuse to buy fancy gift boxes.

We have an aunt (and cousin) who live in Las Vegas.

So my mom is sending my 7 year old cousin jewelry (mostly costume jewelry my mom bought in a box lot at an auction that had a mix of costume and real jewelry) in one of the fancy gift boxes.

So she is regifting the box, with something else inside :D

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2011

My step-daughter liked a necklace I was given. She wears it often. I probably wouldn't have.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I got a regifted item this year. My BIL got a gift card from his boss to a store that he knew he would never go to. He gave it to me on xmas eve and told me where he got it. He figured I could use it more than he could. At least he was honest about it and didn't lead me to believe that he just happened to pick up a $100 gift card for me!

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

My son re-gifted this year. Lauren got all of the movie gift cards he has received in past years and has never used--almost $150 worth.