Re-applying to old school

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, Apr 28, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

I left the school due to politics (principal has horrible)....the assistant principal when I was there is now the principal. I've always liked him. Much better choice. I would not have even left the job had I known he would move to principal.
    I ended up at a school that had better pay and benefits...but after a horrible year...they let me go.
    The old school is now hiring. I want to send...or hand deliver the letter. This is the draft:

Mr. P,

Ever since I resigned my job from SCHOOL, I have regretted the decision. I truly miss the caring work environment that I left behind and would look forward to talking to you about the possible openings you may have, as listed on website.com.

During my time at SCHOOL, I enjoyed all of my coworkers, and the diversity of the student population that we served. The students really helped me grow, and become accustomed to different teaching and learning styles. I felt like I truly made a difference in the kids lives that needed it most. Along with the students that already had an innate desire to learn, the more challenging students kept me motivated to do my best.

This year I have taught Biology, and Anatomy/Physiology to all grade levels. I have also coached the Science Olympiad in its charter year, and several of my students placed in their events. I remember all of the hard work my students at SCHOOL put into the science events, and how proud of them I was when they completed their projects.

I am currently enrolled in a Masters program geared towards Science Education. This has helped me work towards certification, and also gain even more knowledge by doing research on teaching methods that I have implemented in my current classes. I am really excited to be in this program, and hopefully get the chance to show you how much I have grown.

Over the past year I have learned so much about myself as a teacher. With the experience that I have gained from SCHOOL and my current school, I truly believe that I would be a terrific candidate to once again be a part of the SCHOOL family.

Mr. P, please take this as a genuine interest and desire to return to SCHOOL. I look forward to a positive response from you.

3. TechTeach09

TechTeach09 Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

This comes off a bit pushy and needy. I recommend leaving out that you regret it because it was the best decision for you in the long run. It would be best to come off as "I went to explore other opportunities and nothing compares to what SCHOOL has to offer". You dont have to be a prodigal son. They have your last evaluation and teaching styles already on paper from when you were there, therefore eliminating you from having to remind them how good you are at what you do. Praise the school and their mission and goals and how the new P is the type of leader you would be honored to work with.. Just some ideas. Butter them up, you did nothing wrong when you left(right?) so its all about I am ready to come back to what I know is what I want.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

Thanks for the feedback.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

I agree with the other poster that the letter may have sounded a bit desperate...how does this sound? And I think you need to hand deliver it as well as snail mail it to HR if they ask for it there.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

thanks...there is no HR...very small school...just them...don't have to go through the county...

i'm using most of your letter, leigh ;)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Well that makes it a bit easier then st. I hope the letter helps...keep it short but sweet and really try to talk to the new P. How were things at the old school besides the horrible P?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

leigh, your version might be just a tad too stripped-down. While it's true that st doesn't want to sound desperate, she does want to sound eager. Let me think:

9. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

Re: Reapplication Letter

I am going to dress it up a bit more here and doctor a couple of errors...

Mr. P,

I am submitting my resume for consideration to return to SCHOOL as a SCIENCE teacher for the 2009-2010 school year. I would like to meet to discuss the possible openings you have as indicated on website.com at your earliest convenience.

Since leaving SCHOOL last year, I have taught Biology, Anatomy/Physiology to all grade levels, and coached the Science Olympiad. In its charter year, several of my students placed in their events at the Olympiad. I remember how hard my students at SCHOOL worked on their Science Olympiad events and how proud of them I was when they completed their projects.

I am currently enrolled in a master's degree program geared towards science education. Through this exciting program, I have done research on teaching methods that work in the science classroom. I would love to share my preliminary results with you.

With the experience that I have gained from SCHOOL, my current school, and THE COLLEGE, I truly believe that I bring even greater insight and success to the teachings of secondary-school science. It would be especially fulfilling to provide students and families with these opportunities under your leadership at SCHOOL once again.

I look forward to speaking with you further regarding my candidacy to return to SCHOOL. I look forward to your positive response.

OK... I could add more but I just went on brain-drain...sorry!!

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

Thanks...I mixed leigh's with my own...so hopefully it was ok :-/

I gave it to him...he was preparing packets for state testing with the assistant principal...he smiled when he saw me...asked how i was...then looked at my letter. His eyes got big, and he nodded. Said that they were just starting to get in resumes, and he will know more at the end of May...so wait to hear from him...-sigh-

I saw many of my old students...they asked if I was coming back...lol

Then I got to my car and started crying...hating life :)

thanks for all the help

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Hopefully he will have good news for you st!! :)

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Forgot to add the hugs... :hugs:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

His eyes got big, st? That doesn't sound bad, on balance.

Dr. TeacherGroupie has some questions. Have you been eating properly? Getting enough liquid? Sleeping? Getting exercise? Taking care of yourself, all in all, the way you'd take care of your best friend if she were in your situation?

Prescription: Get hugs whenever and wherever you can (well, as long as the hugger doesn't have cooties).

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

Good luck, st, I hope this works out for you.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

i'm going to bring toast and lettuce to lunch tomorrow...tell department head it's all I can afford to eat -smirk-

I'd love hugs...wish I could get them from bf...another issue :(

thanks, tg and jessica and leigh

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2009

So, my dear, have you been eating and getting hydration and exercising, hm?

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 28, 2009

Good Luck St82 - I think big eyes are good :) Big eyes mean happy, surprised, elated, I like you, etc. . . . . . :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Keep good thoughts and follow the wise one's advice about eating hydrating and exercising :)

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

lots of eating....not so much exercising...which I need to get on...a bike/treadmill...etc...

just been so tired/lazy

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009

His reaction sounds good! He obviously can't tell you anything right now, but from his reaction you should be hearing from him again soon.

20. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 28, 2009

ST, that interaction sounds promising. Think positive!

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 28, 2009

I need to put on my ruby slippers and say "there's no place like school"...haha

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2009

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: