Raw Throat

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MrsC, Dec 21, 2010.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

Lauren's suffering with a very sore throat. She's eaten almost nothing today--she's in agony when she swallows. We went to the clinic this morning (when she asks to go to the doctor, you know it's bad). He suspects strep and started her on antibiotics since we're leaving for Florida in just a few days and she'll be playing in a soccer tournament in just over a week. It pains me to see her under the weather--she's usually so full of energy. I just wish there was more I could do to help her.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

Purchase some tea that she will drink and have her gargle with salt water. Also cough drops definitely help with the pain.

Sorry that she is feeling so icky! Hope you have a great time in Florida and she is feeling better soon.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2010

This is what my relatives recommend for colds, flu, or any type of infection around the throat or chest area, A PEG OF GARLIC, A PIECE OF GINGER, HALF A LEMON OR LIME, A TABLESPOON OF HONEY, grate the garlic and ginger add the squeezed lemon and honey to a cup of boiling water, cover let it sit for 20 mins then drink. do it at night before bed. You could also add some cayenne pepper in it too. My dad just warms up honey with lemon juice and has a tablespoon every hour or two.

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2010

Honey has natural antibiotic properties and is very soothing--honey and lemon is a great idea.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

I've never added garlic to it, but this is what we do in my family.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2010

So sorry. I had a sore throat this year that was so bad that I had to go to the dr. It went away pretty fast after I got those antibiotics.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2010

She's had some tea with honey and some Advil. We were joking a little while ago that when she starts to feel better, she is going to be hungry! All she's had to eat today is half a scrambled egg, about half a cup of chicken soup and a few mouthfuls of mashed potatoes.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 22, 2010

I find gargling with cayenne pepper, lemon juice, sea salt, and honey works well. Heat the water a bit. Advil also works wonders.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

What about some popsicles?! I know everyone in this house loves popsicles. Jello. Hubby had what they thought was that as well... he said chicken noodle soup felt good as well. I had made some stock & just threw it in the crockpot...but he even had some store bought or I just threw some chicken broth & veggies & noodles in. Tea & huney as well... we went through just about a box of tea bags in the last week.

The best chicken to use is those "roaster" chickens you can get at the store.

My throat & ear were a little sore I kept eating (well had one in my mouth) dum dum suckers.

Is she taking something at nite so she can sleep & try to prop her up a little when she sleeps so it's not just "sitting" back there. When our lil ones are sick (especially stuffy/runny nose) I usually take them in the leaving room to sleep. They get the recliner & I the couch...that way they are "up" a little.

Oh I hope she feels better soon... Tell her as much as it hurts she needs to keep drinking...water, gatorade, tea...something.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2010

Ug, I had strep 4 times one year in my old building (no windows). It sucks. Lots of tea and popsicles are great.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2010

I always drink hot lime or lemon Jell-o when I have a sore throat. I mix according to the directions, but use all hot water. It's really soothing.

13. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Dec 22, 2010

If it is strep, have her get the shot instead of the pills. It goes away a lot faster!

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 22, 2010

Soothing maybe, but sounds awful!

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2010

When I had strep/tonsillitis earlier this year, I ate a ton of fresh pineapple. Tenderized and numbed my throat so I could actually swallow. I believe it has to be fresh, not canned (something to do with the enzymes). Hope Lauren feels better soon!

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Mmmm, I love fresh pineapple. Unfortunately, it is one of the few foods that Lauren does not like at all. I'm hoping that now that we're on day 3 of the antibiotics, she'll start to feel better soon.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

Is she feeling any better?

When do you leave for Disney?

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 23, 2010

She's still sleeping and I'm hoping she will be for a few more hours. She was feeling pretty rough last night (of course, that was after braving some Christmas shopping for a couple of hours). I'm really hoping for a turn-around today.

We'll start our 24-hour drive to Orlando sometime Sunday. We can't get in to the condo until 4 on Monday and we're driving straight through, so don't need to leave early. It's hard to believe it's come so quickly! Alex will be home tomorrow, we'll be going to my sister's for Christmas dinner Saturday, then we're off!

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2010

That definitely got an EW from me too, when I read it. But I would try anything if I felt bad enough! lol

20. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 23, 2010

I hope she is better today.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 23, 2010

I hope she's feeling better! I've posted here before about my many strep throat episodes. With the help of antiobiotics, though, I'm normally feeling better by the next day (two days max).

Hope the rest of your family stays healthy! Enjoy your vacation! :)

22. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 23, 2010

Hope she is feeling better and have a wonderful trip