Ratemyteacher.com

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GeetGeet, May 14, 2014.

1. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 14, 2014

I try not to let it bother me but not too long ago I got a complaint about me on Ratemyteacher.com. I can't get it off my mind and it made me feel terrible. Has anyone else had this experience? ow much stock would you put in this kind of thing? After reading it I have had a hard time trusting that students are enjoying my classes.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

May 14, 2014

As an elementary teacher I wouldn't put much stock into it. I like to think teaching is a complex process, kids and parents do not really have the expertise to rate the effectiveness of the teaching.

The one thing I would be on the lookout for from students is comments about how you effected their self esteem.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2014

I'd brush it off. Some people write mean things in a huff or to get even.

5. Math

Math Cohort

May 14, 2014

I would say some are on point at least at my school and some are just plain lies.

6. Math

Math Cohort

May 14, 2014

Keep in mind you can not please everyone.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 14, 2014

I wouldn't let it get to you.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 14, 2014

I don't think that having all students enjoy your class is an attainable goal. One student is not going to enjoy or benefit from everything that another might. Plus, some students are just going to resent you for that low grade or being "too hard."

I don't blame you for being upset; I would be too. But, I do think that you should just brush it off. If there's something written there that has a ring of truth to it, you might want to consider if there's some modification you can make to your teaching in some way. But if not, let it go and trust that you are a good teacher. If you weren't, you wouldn't care what was said about your abilities on some website.

9. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 14, 2014

Remember, most people who complain about things on the interwebs are the people who are really angry. Generally it's done in a wave of extreme anger and the person isn't thinking rationally. It happens. I'd forget about it.

10. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 14, 2014

Thanks everyone. I am a high school teacher, and what the kid said did have some truth to it, but it hurt. I teach art, which is an elective, so being "liked" sort of matters. I do have great relationships with a lot of students, and I think they are pretty successful. I can see improvements in their work all the time. But this kid said that a lot of the class was boring. In my opinion, not everything is going to be FUN! all the time. Especially in a class focused on drawing and painting technique--where practice and patience is key. I guess I just feel frustrated because I try really hard, and I care so much about my subject and about my students, but I teach the fine arts--with real paint and pencils, etc. The teachers who teach photo and graphics have become more popular because 1. they are good teachers, and 2. kids gravitate toward technology. So the comment just hit home I guess. I don't like the fact that so much of what we do happens on a screen nowadays--I even notice a difference in the way kids see and understand space.

11. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 14, 2014

Is it possible that he wasn't really upset that your class was boring? Perhaps he was trying to warn others before they decided to sign up. Some students expect a class to be fun and are disappointed when it is not. Nothing against the teacher, some classes will be boring, but it's nice to know what to expect before taking the class.

12. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 14, 2014

I don't think that's the case. But who knows, its all anonymous, so I can't speculate.

13. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 14, 2014

When my kids complain that something isn't 'fun' I politely remind them that I am not a TV, video game, movie, or radio. And that it is therefore not my job to entertain them, it is my job to teach them. And if you're pouring your heart and soul into what you're teaching the kids, most kids are going to notice and you'll probably teach students things that they will really appreciate throughout their lives. But you're not going to 100% happiness in your class 100% of the time, and that's okay.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 14, 2014

Exactly.

I tell students this ALL the time; I am not a clown, I do not juggle while riding a tricycle, I do not dance a jig while balancing plates on my head. I am not here to entertain you ... Oh, that sucks? That's life.

15. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 14, 2014

I used to check ratemyteacher periodically. Two negative ratings stand out in my mind.

One I happened to stumble across the day after it had been posted. I knew, by what was said, who wrote it. She was ****** off because I sent her to the principal's office for unruly and defiant behaviour.

The second student was very specific about the class he/she took of mine. S/he said that I was an unfair teacher because even though s/he got 90+ on all of the assignments they got back, I still gave them a 60. Well, knowing what class they were speaking of, I know that the only students who got in that range were students who didn't hand everything in. Soooo, even though they DID get 90+ on the assignments they did, they didn't do them all.

Don't even worry about it.

16. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

May 14, 2014

Thanks again to all of you who have posted. It means a lot. You have no idea how much this has bothered me (or maybe you do, lol). It has literally kept me up a night or two--kinda pathetic that I let it get to me so much.