Rate My Teacher/Professor

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mamacita, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 29, 2006

Have you guys seen these websites:

http://www.ratemyteachers.com/

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

Students and parents are rating and commenting about their teachers/professors/administrators online. Most of the comments are positive, but there are also some zingers on there. I checked it out and I'm on there, and so is my husband, and my brother, who is a business professor out west. Go look and see if any of YOU are on there.

I haven't decided yet what I think about this site. Most of me thinks it's pretty cool, but there is a little part of me that is worried.

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2006

I haven't been to either of those sites, but this semester I went to the grade my professor on Myspace, and found that my Philosophy professor (a horrible, offensive man) had really bad ratings.

A lot of students rate their professors too harshly, but when you're at a big school, it's nice to see what other people think before you spend the money for a class. I just take it all with a grain of salt and don't base my decision solely on a professor's rating.

4. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

I am surprised that I am not on there. LOL I am sure that some of the students and parents may post on those sites when they are angry with a particular teacher. Hoping that I will never be on there :eek:)

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 29, 2006

I used one of the "rate my professor" sites. I couldn't remember which one. I think it was this site. I rated three professors I had positively at TVI and one not positively. Only when I used it you didn't have to register. I think these sites can be useful, but people looking at them should understand all post positive and negative are the user bias. I found a couple that looked and sounded like my writing. The negative post was really vauge. I could have posted why this professor shouldn't be teaching, but I just put about her bias grading. (I didn't explain any proff--from her racist comments, and political bias in grading). I put a bogus address I don't like putting my real address so my account will most likely be suspended.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 30, 2006

I used that a few times in college. I rated a few professors that I absolutely loved. I also checked it out a few times to see if I could get an idea about professors I didnt know much about before signing up for their courses.

7. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Mar 30, 2006

How remarkable! I would not have dreamt this up in a million years.

Other teachers in my school are there, but I'm not listed yet. I don't know whether to be pleased or insulted. Maybe I'll rate myself!! :)

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 30, 2006

I got blocked with a warning that the site was "Unsavory/Dubious". Probably from some bad ratings.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 30, 2006

I check it regularly (I check ratemyteacher.ca, the canadian site) as I have been added to it by someone. It is moderated, so should remain respectable. I haven't seen anything bad in all the time I've been visiting.

10. historyteacher

historyteacher Companion

Mar 30, 2006

Jane, thanks for the information. I joined as a parent so I can keep up with my school. So far no one is listed. The year isn't over with yet though.

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 30, 2006

Some school systems have blocked the sites because they can't deal with any kind of uncontrolled publicity. The sites list those schools on their "Wall of Shame."

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Mar 31, 2006

It isn't only negative things that are listed. Almost all teachers at my school are listed and many of the comments are very positive and flattering.

13. Docere

Docere Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

A lot of teachers aren't happy about the website. I've read some of the "User Comments" on ratemyteachers.com and some of the comments teachers leave are really irate. But I like this website. I've looked at some ratings, and they are, in my opinion, accurate. Overall, I think that the website could be better moderated. Many schools don't have a moderator, and that really is how most bad comments are leaked in. But I wouldn't take the cruel comments seriously; kids can just be idiots some times and hate you no matter how good of a teacher you are. And if there is a bad comment about you, you can always flag it and it will be reviewed, and, if inappropriate, it will be removed.

14. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 9, 2006

Wow, very interesting! There were a lot of professors I've had in college on that site. Most of the ratings were accurate to my opinions.

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2006

I had to make one of my teammates promise NEVER to look at that site. She is a fairly new teacher and is not very confident yet. The comments that were posted about her were downright mean; not ones that would be helpful in reflecting about one's practice. I have looked at it once or twice. My comments are mixed, and I noticed that the teachers with the highest ratings are the young ones who are all "cool" and "nice." While I think this is a great idea for college students and possibly high school students, I feel middle school students on the whole are not able to be objective and constructive about this. Their feelings about teachers (as well as everything else) tend to change swiftly and often.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 9, 2006

My school is not found when I try to search the rate my teacher site. I suppose this is good. At least no one has any complaints to register against me that I know of except the few who have brought them to me personally. I would hate to get a public flogging on one of these sites.