Rate My Resume: Early career change

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Mrs_Goatess, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I was hoping to get some help with my resume. I changed careers into education before I really started by first!

I don't have a set cover letter; I've written those as needed.

Sticky part: I'm a published author, and, wanting to teach English and writing, I want to show that off. However, what I published is the odd part. I'm in one small YA fantasy anthology and I co-authored a few materials related to the game Dungeons and Dragons. How can I talking about being published while avoiding its subject. (I'm sure at least one principal would think I'm some Satan-worshiping whacko.)

Here's what it looks like now:

EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
    University of XXXX, B.A. English Literature, GPA 3.XX, December 2002

XXXX Community College, A.A. Mass Communications, GPA 3.XX, May 1999

Temporary Florida Teaching Certification (English 6-12)

WORK EXPERIENCE AND ACQUIRED SKILLS

Substitute Teacher (English) Spring 2005-Present
    XXXXX County Public Schools
    • Substituted in a wide variety of subjects between the 6th and 12th grade levels on a daily to long-term basis, including ESE and ESOL students.
    • Educated students in English and Literature-related subject matters
    • Managed classrooms, including such aspects as students, paperwork, and data entry.

Photo Lab Manager
    Summer 2004– Spring 2005
    XXXX Store
    • Designed, coordinated, and executed all aspects of customer service, in-store advertising, and lab maintenance in regards to Photo department.

Personal Living Assistant Spring 2003-Present
    Mr. and Mrs. X
    • Attended to lifestyle upkeep, including bookkeeping, account upkeep, scheduling, and other personal organizational needs.

Photo Lab Tech Winter 1998 – Fall 2003
    XXXX Store
    • Enjoyed membership in a 2-5 associate team, actively participating in independent duties and teamwork.

Shift Leader
    Fall 1996 – Fall 1998
    [fast food resturant]
    • Earned opening/closing supervisor status with store key holding responsibility.

VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES / INTERNSHIPS

XXXX Daycare 2000 – 2005
    • Supervised and organized pre-school children: the most demanding customers and most difficult to organize commodities.
    • State licensed substitute daycare provider.

Herald Newspaper 1996-1997
    • Authored 1500-word general interest column twice monthly

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

Dinner's almost ready; I'll get back after the kids are in bed.

I didn't want you to think no one was going to respond!

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

I just wanted to note that you have an incredibly impressive resume! You have so much to talk about. Great transferable skills for the classroom. I don't feel like a great candidate to be giving out advice right now, since I am a job seeker myself, but just scanning the resume has piqued my interest and that's something that you definitely want to keep.

Good Luck

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

OK, here goes:
    The subbing you've just done: think about rephrasing the "aspects as students" part.

I think you can also expand a bit more on the "English and Literature related subjects"... I'm not exactly sure what that means.

You did a nice job!!
    Good luck!!

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks for the input everyone!

Question: I also have been invited for the last three years to be s speaker at a rather large specultaive fiction convention. Does that belong on a resume and where? Volunteer work? (I wasn't paid... I actually paid a lot to be there!)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

Mrs_Goatess, this is incredibly cool! Your speaking gig would certainly go in a resume, especially if the topics on which you've spoken had ANYthing to do with teaching or learning. Doesn't matter whether you were paid to talk or whether you paid for the privilege: I assume this was either something you've applied for or the organizers' choice to invite you, and in either case it's an honor. It could go under a heading like "Lectures and presentations", or if you don't have enough entries to make that look good, perhaps "Publications" or "Professional awards and recognition" or something of the like.

8. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Thanks again everyone for your help. Here's an updated version.

EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
    University of XXXX, B.A. English Literature, GPA 3.21, December 2002

XXXXX Community College, A.A. Mass Communications, GPA 3.31, May 1999

Temporary Florida Teaching Certification (English 6-12)

WORK EXPERIENCE AND ACQUIRED SKILLS

Substitute Teacher
    Spring 2005-Present
    XXXX County Public Schools
    • Substituted in a variety of subjects between the 6th and 12th grade levels, including ESE and ESOL students.
    • Taught on long-term basis, up to a full semester, in 12th grade English and 8th grade Communications.

Photo Lab Manager
    Summer 2004– Spring 2005
    XXXX Gorcery Store
    • Designed, coordinated, and executed all aspects of customer service, in-store advertising, and lab maintenance in regards to Photo department.

Personal Living Assistant Spring 2003-Present
    Mr. and Mrs. XXXX
    • Attended to lifestyle upkeep, including bookkeeping, account upkeep, scheduling, and other personal organizational needs for mentally and physically disabled.

Photo Lab Tech Winter 1998 – Fall 2003
    XXXX Gorcery Store
    • Enjoyed membership in a 2-5 associate team, actively participating in independent duties and teamwork.

Shift Leader
    Fall 1996 – Fall 1998
    XXXX Fast Food Resturant
    • Earned opening/closing supervisor status with store key holding responsibility.

INSTRUCTIONAL / CONTNENT AREA EXPERIENCE

Necronomicon: Tampa's Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Convention
    2003– Present
    • Spoke on panels regarding publishing, writing, and formulating speculative fiction.

XXXX Daycare
    2000 – 2005
    • Taught pre-school children as a state licensed substitute daycare provider.

X Herald Newspaper
    1996-1997
    • Authored 1500-word general interest column twice monthly.

Would you hire me? What questions would this resume raise in your mind when we met? :D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2006

"INSTRUCTIONAL / CONTNENT AREA EXPERIENCE" ... "content" is misspelled.

Looks great!

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 6, 2006

I think it looks great!!
    I'm also on the search, so maybe my advice isn't the best, but looking at your res, I am intrigued - being a published writer, not only could they hire you to teach, but you could also run the yearbook or school papers... just something else to make you more marketable!
    Good luck

11. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

HI

As a previous fastfood manager, I know what keyholding respnsibilities means-- but many principals would not. I'd elaborate more on the skills used there, since many fast food joints are dealing a lot with kids that work there.

On the preschool, I don't think I'd call the kids commodities. That may appear that you think of them as 'objects' not people. The preschool is the area where you really want to be more specific in what you did. (I also taught preschool) Here is where I elaborated on "learning centers" and that type of thing.

You want to elaborate on any job that you had where you did any type of training.

My "training" experience in my many jobs is what got me hired last week. They liked that I'd done so many things and had worked with such diverse personalities.

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 8, 2006

Hi, ShadowRose!!
    Can you tell us more about the info you gave under your Preschool experiences?
    On my resume I say something along the lines of:
    • Planned and executed learning center activities and programs
    • Directed annual musical/drama program
    • Created relevant dynamic and interactive bulletin boards
    • Conducted parent/teacher conferences
    • Designed and implemented indoor and outdoor activities

13. adam devine

adam devine Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

Hi,read yoru resume,noticed you dontmention name of university you did your BA,that is important to a prospective employer.

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 8, 2006

I believe that info is left out of this post for confidentiality.

15. adam devine

adam devine Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Thank you for yoour resposne but every prospective employer wila sk you were you graduated from, and for transcripts, if you cna provide that to them you have a better chance of being hired, good luck to you.

16. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2006

Adam - what I meant is that it will most likely be on the "real" resume that gets sent to the schools. It was probably blanked out for confidentiality on this post. Don't need any identity theft around here, right? :)

17. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

HI

It looks like you hit all the highlights, unless you want to do a little more on anything particular you did to teach reading, phonetic awareness, etc., as this would be very relevant if you're going to be teaching elem. kids.

18. shadowrose45

shadowrose45 Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

HI Again

On my resume, I have a separate section for all certifications I hold. I don't include them in the 'employment' section.

19. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

Tanks for the help everyone!

My preschool experience was very limited. I didn't really create anything to even really teach. It was all play supervision and snack handing out; I was a substitute. I'm not focusing on it much because I'm aiming for high school, if not middle school.

I included my certification under education because I've only the one!

I did do some censorship in case anyone might recognize me (they don't need to know how desprate I am!) and the id theft thing too.

I'll try to work in more focus on what training I've done. I know I did with my fast-food job and as the photo lab manager. I'll come back with an updated version soon.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

20. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

I don't know how much it matters in this context, but there is a big push now for "individual first language" which means instead of saying "physically and mentally disabled" you would say "individuals with physical and mental disabilities." Again, it might not matter... but you may want to make sure you are P.C. so prospective employers don't dismiss you because of syntax.

21. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

I had struggled with that actually. They are my own grandparents (different last name); she had become blind and he suffers from moderate Alzhiemer's disease. I think I will change that wording. Thanks!