Rare play food

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by lehcar1021, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

I am getting ready to read and work with the book "Handa's Surprise". I would like to prepare three sets of the book with play food and other props for our small groups. However, the book talks about rare food that I do not have. I am looking for 3 sets of the following play foods: banana, orange, pineapple, GUAVA, MANGO, AVOCADO, PASSION FRUIT, and TANGERINE. Additionally, I am looking for animal figurines: monkey, OSTRICH, zebra, elephant, giraffe, ANTELOPE, PARROT, and goat.

The ones that I have capitalized... does anyone know where I could find such rare items???? Any early childhood stores/toy providers???? PLEASE let me know. Although I am going to buy the actual fruits for tasting, I want to have small manipulative objects for all students in small groups. Thank you.

3. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Look at www.folkmanis.com- they sell the MOST AWESOME puppets! They look real! And they DO have an ostrich! But he's a little pricey if you need three-

Beanie Babies I think have an ostrich too, and parrot- not sure I've ever seen an antelope!

The fruit is tough! Try a home decor store- maybe they would have some sort of fake fruit that resembles it?

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 22, 2006

the fruits and vegetables you should check a craft store, they have "plastic" but realistic foods for decorations,

For the animals look in toy stores for sets of animal planet plastic animals..... although last time I was at Micheal's craft store they had an open stock of plactic animals

5. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 23, 2006

The velcro cut apart fruits/vegetable set has an avocado, but the sets are pretty expensive to buy 3 just for the avocado. Good luck!

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 23, 2006

The parrot you might be able to get from a dollar store PIRATE set. I think the animal kingdom store at disney might have those other animals. OR, try a museum catalogue of the gift shop items. I will keep my eyes open for those, should i come across them.... I will contact you. (i am going to check out the dollar store today anyhow)

7. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006

A.C. Moore craft stores have those plastic animals that you buy separately....I can't think of the brand name of them, but they are those pricey little plastic animals....Don't know if they have an Ostrich, Antelope, or parrot, but it's worth a shot to check them out!

As for the fruit, I have NO idea where you can find the plastic version of them! Good luck!
    Marcy

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2006

My own kids have a toy plastic parrot that we got at the rainforest cafe. I think they have a website. I'm fairly sure they also had an ostrich, and each one was under $2 (which is why my kids got them, lol!) Beanie Babies also makes stuffed parrots and ostriches. Antelopes may be trickier...

As for the food, it may just be cheaper to buy three of the real thing (3 avacodos, 3 guavas, etc) than to buy multiple sets of play food. There's nothing wrong with the kids handling the real fruits, as long as they aren't the ones you plan on having them taste later on.
    Kim

9. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

I am going to buy the real food of ALL of the fruit for the kids to try, but because this is something that I want to work on all week and use again in future years, I want to have manipulatives for the kids to see everyday and use to act out. I might end up just buying the fruit though... hhmmmm.

10. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

OMG I thought of you this weekend while at the flea market! I came across a pomagranite(?spelling?) and a mango and some various other rare looking fruit. They were plastic I believe, and were only 79 cents!!! Is it too late or would you like me to get them for you? Just PM me if so, I'd love to help out!

11. lehcar1021

lehcar1021 Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your thoughts and help. I actually teamed up with the teacher next to me and we finally found everything we needed and decided to share the materials. I appreciate it!