"Rape Dance" video in school

Discussion in 'General Education' started by singingstacy, May 6, 2008.

1. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

May 6, 2008

I am from Memphis and I am applying to three different school districts, and let me tell you, Memphis City Schools is not one of them. (As a side note, I went to Memphis City Schools from Kindergarten to 10th grade.)
    Here is what went on recently at one of the local MCS high schools:
    http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8281465

Just thought yall might be interested! I think these students should be suspended at least, but the bigger picture here is:
    1. Why would their parents raise them to think this type of behavior is okay?
    2. Why were there no teachers/principals/etc around to stop the behavior?

(p.s. -- anyone notice the spelling errors throughout the wreg.com article? maybe it's just the teacher in me)

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 6, 2008

OMG!!!!!! I should be more shocked than I am. But I have seen similiar behavior (not to that extent) at a middle school dance.

I was just going over part of this with my psychology class today. Kids will become what they think they should become. They have a certain self-concept that is a result of their evironment, their family & friends, and media. They begin to accept that is who they should be and then act in a fashion which leads them to become that person. Its a shame that this information goes out to these kids at a time when they are desperatly trying to figure out who they are, and they feel to fit in, this is who they should be.

How do we convince these kids that just because you are poor and black, hispanic or even white that you must live a life based upon rauch and sex? My students try to convice me it is normal, expected even to be sexually involved very very young. But they all want to make the good money and have good jobs, but don't do what it takes to get there.

*shakes head*

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 7, 2008

This is disgraceful... how in the world do "novice" parents and other "shocked" chaperons step in and stop something like this? Who's responsible?

If I were just a parent, I don't think I'd try to break something like that up for fear of being attacked, I wouldn't try to break up wolves from trying to mate either.

5. smarkham01

smarkham01 Companion

May 7, 2008

You stop the music, then stop the kids. If you're afraid, get another adult or the police to do it. How in the world would a parent be a "novice" with kids that old?

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 7, 2008

Oh My Word! Disgraceful isn't a strong enough word for it. Neither is obscene, in my mind. The only complaints I heard the parents voicing were "where are the teachers?" While I have that exact same question, the first thing I thought of was "Where are their parents, and why haven't they been taught better?"

I refuse to believe that these young people are no better than animals in heat. They have not been taught standards against which they are to judge their own actions. They have no accountability for their actions. There are no boundaries on their behavior. I have always found that children (these ARE children) eventually appreciate judicious boundaries regarding behavior and expectations.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 7, 2008

Afraid of children?? Common, we are the adults people! It is time to tell the kids no, if you are outnumbered call the cops. Even if it "ruins their lives" maybe it saves someone elses.....

I do not care that some people think this kind of behavior is okay, or that rap stars do it, it is only a cultural thing, that is all bull, what all that really means is, "its not my problem so I won't do anything about it"

I just cannot stand the thought of standing by anymore while our nations young people destroy themselves. I guess if I get hurt trying to stop something like that and my stand makes a difference, well I guess that is what happens.

8. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

May 8, 2008

Ugh! It's not as if the dirty dancing weren't bad enough, but it disgusts me to see young men and women so actively involved in something called "rape dance" to the tune of "rape dat ho." Yeah, they are children, but they are almost adults. I'm scared for their futures. Sadly, I'm hoping they are just sexists and don't harbor any real desire to rape.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 8, 2008

I can't watch that video. It would make me nauseous.

My sister chaperoned her high school prom one year and said, "Never again." Disgusting.

10. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 8, 2008

Dancing his gotten more and more lewd over the years. Being 23 and out at the clubs it gets to be too much. It's quite uncomfortable to be dancing with your girlfriends and seeing other guys and girls all over each other. Have you ever watched "My Sweet 16" on MTV? Disgusting.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 8, 2008

hmmmmm I am having second thoughts about ever having children.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 8, 2008

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

13. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 8, 2008

Wow..just wow. Im never having kids...=(

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 8, 2008

It's not really the kids that are at fault. It's the parents, who have forgotten that P A R E N T is an action verb. True, these kids are old enough to be accountable for their own actions, but they did not learn that behavior in church or in a classroom (God forbid).

15. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 8, 2008

Man I remember the days when all of us guys were too scared to dance with the girls.:lol:

Ahhh the good ol' days.

The sad thing is I'm only 25.

Crazy how things have changed in just the last 10 years.

16. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 8, 2008

I think blame needs to also be put on the songs & dances that are out there. I have 9 & 10 year olds that will "pop" & do other inappropriate movements during music class. They are imitating what they see on TV. :down: Today's songs are about sex, strippers, & hoes. It is disturbing!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

May 8, 2008

well I guess dance has really "evolved?" That is really quite sick! I prefer these:
    Evolution of Dance

19. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 8, 2008

I made the mistake of watching the video & now feel sick. I'm going to have nightmares tonite. EXtremely disturbing & alarming. I know they are kids but they looked like wild animals.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 8, 2008

:lol::lol: Thanks for posting this.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 8, 2008

I thought this was funny also.:woot:

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 10, 2008

Thanks, Kinderkids and TeacherGroupie -- you both made my day!

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 10, 2008

Kinder that was great! haha I just watched middle school, high school and my bar years. Oh and some from when I was really young haha.

24. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 10, 2008

I was thoroughly disgusted by this. Rape victims definitely won't be entertained by this garbage. Am I alone in thinking that there is a whole generation of kids that aren't being parented? I know that kids are exposed to negative things in the media, but where is guidance? I teach 4th graders and they are left alone to take care of themselves much of the time. They say they go to bed at 9:00 pm, but in their rooms many have their own video games, television with satellite, computers with internet access, and cell phones. They stay up as late as they want, and no one checks on them. Our children's innocence is being stolen right before our eyes. They don't know what's right or appropriate, and if you try to teach them, they don't care...they don't want to learn what's right and appropriate. They just want to live in the moment and do what feels good and what's fun with no regard to the consequences.

If these kids think that rape is ok, or something to be glorified, or that it is acceptable, that makes it MORE UNSAFE in the world for the rest of us. It is really frightening.

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 10, 2008

... which is one reason why my husband and I decided not to have children.

26. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

May 10, 2008

Thanks peacyness and TeacherGroupie! so funny!!! I needed that laugh!!! I'm rather tired after watching the evolution of dance!