Rants and Raves

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeachOnTheBeach, May 27, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

May 27, 2009

Ok so this thread is to vent and get rid of some anger. Do you have any rants or raves you might have.

I just experienced one a little while ago. This lady at the restaurant I went to with my niece sat and talked on the phone for like 20 minutes. The server kept coming up and asking her if she neeed anything, using only sign language-kind of thing. Finally this lady got off the phone and the server was with me and my niece. The restaurant was dead so the server sat and talked to me and my little niece. Well the lady got pissed off that she was being "ignored" and started yelling. SERIOUSLY YELLING! The manager came by and asked what was going on and the lady said she's been sitting there for 20 minutes and was ignored the whole time. REALLY???? So, me being the quiet one, chimed in. I told the manager everything that happened, said super nice things about the server. The lady got super mad and left. I told the manager I would email coorparate and let them know what happened incase she emailed them and told them how awful they are.

Ok so that was mine...what's yours?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 27, 2009

I've been helping out a few of the speech-language pathologists all year long & I downright disklike one of the schools & the SLP who's there! :mad: She's not technically an SLP just yet, she's an intern. She's a bitch & I just hate the way she does things, her personality sucks, she doesn't smile, not polite, & the things she does w/ the kids is as boring & dry as she is, BUT I put on a happy face & do my job.

This Friday should be my last day seeing her face & I'll be thrilled!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

Well, mine is kind of minor league.

My son left this morning for a 3 day school trip to an enviormental camp upstate, run by the YMCA. ("Greenkill" for any of you in the area.) It looks to be a great time.

Except that the forecast calls for a lot of rain. I'm guessing it will be a lot more like Woodstock than I would prefer.

Looks like I may have to throw out some muddy clothes this weekend.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

Though I'm really happy for those that are getting jobs and interviews, I'm really depressed because I've had neither. :mad:

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2009

...YET!!!

7. smalltowngal

May 27, 2009

Haha..thanks, Alice!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 27, 2009

It's petty, but I wish my husband would learn to at least take his dirty dishes into the kitchen. It's one thing that he doesn't wash them, but it's another when he leaves them on the couch. This week I found my cat licking at a plate with chicken bones on it. ACK!

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 27, 2009

My vent is a coworker who tries to joke with me by making "fun" of me. I don't think its mean-spirited at all, but I'm tired of the endless jabs.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2009

I was told I would hear about my interview on Monday or Tuesday. It's Wednesday and... nothing. Not even a 'it's taking a bit longer than we thought, thanks for your patience.'. I waited 7 weeks last year to hear on a job, 6 weeks on two others. I waited THREE MONTHS to hear about the Astronomical Society position this winter/spring. What is wrong with people? Don't they understand how sick you feel while waiting? Everytime the phone rings, I ruin whatever I'm working on because I jump. I've bruised my leg diving over kitchen chairs, only to see dh's name in the caller ID. I've almost broken the tv trying to push the 'off' button while racing to grab the phone, only to find out it's my parents calling 'just to say hi'. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! CALL ALREADY! PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY!!!!

11. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

May 27, 2009

Interesting.. that is mine, too. She makes fun of the way I dress, b/c I'm sort of into fashion and she isn't, so she "teases" me and my style every single day...

12. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 27, 2009

My friends hurt my feelings pretty much all the time, but I am not able to really say anything, since I think it is petty. I am a very domestic 23 year old. I cook, clean, sew...all my friends call me Martha. I knwo they are joking, but I'm not an older housewife. I don't want to be viewed that way. It just hurts, I get teased for doing something I really enjoy. (I just put the crock pot on the counter. Making homemade stock tonight) All teasing stops when they want a recipe or they come over for dinner though.

I don't know too many other people my age who cook the entire Thanksgiving meal for their family. I'll make a guy really happy someday :)

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 27, 2009

I hate when the "rights" of one student supercedes the rights of an entire population of students. I won't get started....:mad:

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

I am with you both. And maybe I am being selfish since I already have a job, but I really just want to get engaged, and we are waiting until I can move up to that area. I have 3 interviews and I still haven't heard back from one of them, and that was over spring break!

I didn't get a position at a school where someone literally said to me "that was the exact right answer to that question and you are the only person to give it in three days of interviewing." and then the other VP actually stood up and cheered for an answer. But I didn't get it.

I didn't get an interview for a job that requested experience, preferably in a vocational setting and in working for financially disadvantaged students. I have all of that. How many candidates did they get that can actually say all of that? And they didnt even call me in???

Argggg. I know it is early but it is so hard to be patient.

15. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

May 27, 2009

I got a negative pregnancy test :(

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 27, 2009

Aw, no, teachonthebeach. I'm so sorry. I'm in total baby mode, and I can only imagine how sad that must be for you. I'm really sorry.

17. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 27, 2009

:hugs: I am so sorry teachOnTheBeach :hugs: :love:

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 27, 2009

I am 52 years old, and I would just like to be finished with menopause. Kill me now.

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 27, 2009

I get irritated because I live in a small town, and EVERYTHING that needs to get done falls on the shoulders of me and anyone else who is age 25-35. Town festival, parade, Bible school, after school club, alumni, you name it. "Oh, you young ones can do it. Oh, to have youth again." Oh, stop! Please don't hide behind age to get out of doing stuff.

This week is Bible school. I am the director. Which is fine, it's my contribution to my church, I can't teach Sunday school anymore due to coaching, so it's what I do. But darn it, people just want to send their kids for 3 hours and not lift a finger to help in any way. So the same people end up doing it every year. If I call to ask someone to bring a dozen cookies to a program that they have sent their kids to all week, they darn sure better say yes. I have put together a week's worth of fun activities for your children-a dozen chocolate chip for after the program is not a lot to ask! I don't even care if you buy them! Argh!

20. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

May 27, 2009

Thanks! We have been trying for soooooooo long...I am taking Clomid and I am doing all kinds of other junk.I hate when people say..it'll happen when it's the right tim.
    Ughh...but hey I have a student who is 11 and their mom is 25...yes 25! But hey....I guess it was supposed to happen for her at 14..GRRRR

21. smalltowngal

May 28, 2009

:hugs: Teach! I hope that you get pregnant soon!

shouldbe-:lol: Sounds just like my mom did when she had it!

silver-I feel the exact same way about some jobs around here where the P says I don't have the qualifications. Um, I have everything you ask for.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

Your situation reminds me of the town, Stars Hollow from the TV show, Gilmore Girls, where everyone knew everyone & had town hall mtgs...so incredibly different from the cities I'm used to.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 28, 2009

I am from a small town, where everyone knew everyone's business. I had to move due to husband's work, and never knew how nice it was not to know everyone's dirty laundry.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

I would NEVER want to live in a location w/ such a tiny population! :)

25. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 28, 2009

Ms. I, My husband and I are house hunting now. We are looking for a place in the country miles away from anyone.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

Old teacher, now that there is too isolating, not to mention scary in a way...like at night in the pitch darkness! :unsure: I like some neighbors around, they can be on the lookout if there's a fire or robbery.

27. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 28, 2009

This is me except I am 10 years older - but I started VBS in my early 30's for the same reasons. I have been doing this for over 10 years!! I don't even have kids in VBS anymore :mad: This year I was finally able to say no - mostly because my DD will be facing some difficult surgery this summer. But I really do understand

28. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 28, 2009

Stupid no job...
    Stupid loser @sshole...
    Stupid 'former' school...
    Stupid pretend friends at 'former' school...
    Stupid drivers in Atlanta!!!!
    Stupid Georgia!!!!

sorry...I have a lot of anger this morning...

29. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2009

The perimenopause is the worst! Feel crazy, crazed, emotional roller coaster, plus all this weird stuff going on physically (or not going on!). Sheesh. Maybe we need a special forum for perimenopausal and post menopausal women to vent and encourage each other!!!

Another peeve - teachers who feel they should correct my students right in front of me. I truly don't know what to say in a polite way! My kids are just fine, but some of the youngest in the school. Peeves me when teachers of older kids have unreasonable expectations and interfere w/my kids. They have no idea that the little boy who can't focus during assembly and slithers out of his chair constantly is being harassed at night by an older sibling and lost his father a few months ago! Or that the little girl who is so emotional and dramatic is coping with a family break up. I've got to come up with a good comeback. It is usually a public correction in front of other students and other teachers, with me standing right there. ick. "shut up" doesn't seem appropriate!

30. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

May 28, 2009

I'm right there with you lnm, except it's my mother that teases me! She doesn't mean anything by it, but I think she thinks I'm trying to out-do her. I'm really not, I just enjoy being domestic, and she does not. She was appalled when the first year I hosted Thanksgiving I had actual napkins (note particularly nice, just plain linen napkins) instead of paper towels and has made little cracks about it ever since. But there's not a word said when she promises her neighbors I'll bake a cake BEFORE asking me! It would be really aggravating if I couldn't laugh at the fact that her husband (and neighbors) loves my chocolate cake, and since I live so far away I gave her the recipe, but he won't eat it if she cooks it because "it's just not as good as A's cake" :lol:

BTW - I'm only 23 and cook Thanksgiving too!

31. smalltowngal

May 28, 2009

The rant for today: Why, why is it that for the 3rd summer in a row I find myself job searching? And why does it seem to start the same way..see a position I'm qualified for, apply, email principal, don't hear anything, suddenly out of the blue an email stating that they have hired someone else. No interview for you know who. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

:mad:My husband left this morning for a long weekend of training (for a summer race). I know what town he is in, but not where he is staying. I just went upstairs to the bedroom and found that he has left his cell phone here as well (no wonder he didn't answer Lauren's text to share the results of her 800m race today). If there should be an emergency (God forbid), I'll need to send out a mass email to all of his training buddies to find out where he is.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

Woah, MrsC, your husband didn't even tell you where he was staying?! I hope for your sake, he didn't "forget" his cell phone on purpose, if you know what I mean...(so you won't be able to reach him & he can just call you when he wants).

Looks VERY shady to me! (No offense, c'mon I know others of you are thinking the same thing!)

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2009

You are the most suspicious person in the world, Ms. I!! Haha-every time a husband goes out of town, you suspect the worse. I have every confidence Mrs. C's husband is just a scatterbrain. My dh NEVER has his phone charged. I have to 'chase' him down as well at work. Drives me CRAZY!! But such are men.

35. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 28, 2009

When my boyfriend (who I live with) goes out of town I never even think about asking him where he is staying because he has his cell phone. I could totally see him forgetting it and being in that same situation:)

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

Hey, you know me pretty well! ;) It's not that I expect bad things to happen, but as we all know, men are proned to do unscrupulous things. I was just taught to know that NOTHING'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Long story short, my mom's long-time friend's mother was married to this man for probably 30+ yrs. Only when he died did the truth come out of the woodwork & if she were more aware of the minute things, she may have been able to catch on! All these bills the wife never knew about, another woman on the side, etc., you know, the usual stuff men do! J/K :) I know that's just one instance, but it's the harsh realities of life.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

BTW, Jem, thanks for being more comical about it (by saying haha) rather than chastising me. :)

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2009

It sounds to me as though it's not only men prone to unscrupulous things. Sleeping with a married man isn't exactly role-model behavior. And that is NOT the "usual stuff men do." Not my husband, not my brother, not my late dad or my late father in law. Yes, some men (and some women) are unfaithful louses. But most are not, at least most I know.

As I think Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Sometimes guys, like gals, forget their cell phones and get so caught up in something they're doing that they forget to follow protocol.

Mrs C: Peter does a lot of photography at nights and weekends. Every once in a while I think to ask where he'll be, or whether it's for the local paper or for the studio. I like to know, just in case, but frequently forget to ask. (And, yes, Ms. I, I know he's out taking pictures. I've seen the bylines in the paper :) )

I NEVER remember to put my phone on; I can't remember the last time it was on.

Being married to someone who makes mistakes can be so annoying!!!

39. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2009

It's fun to see personality traits come through on the board. ;) I'm confident in my man, so I do find it funny when you are suspicious. Either that, or I'm blissfully ignorant. :p

40. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 28, 2009

New night, new rant.

It's HOT! And although I love the heat, it makes my thighs stick together when I walk. I'm wearing a stretchy cotton sun dress which I love, but I already feel like my hips are sticking out to THERE in it. And now my inner thighs are sticking together every time I try to walk. To the oven. To check on the chocolate cake I'm making.

Boo.

41. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 28, 2009

One of the teachers in my department is being asked to leave for the STUPIDEST reason EVER. She is fighting it and she HAS to win because it is ridiculous. I WISH I could tell you all the details because you would all be flabbergasted.