RANT

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rachaelski, Jun 5, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

This year has been terrible. We have had 3 school leaders in a year. Our current school leader leads with threats and without compassion. And she is totally a narcissist. I decided to leave the school in October; I wasn't happy and my BF and I wanted to move someplace were we could both get good jobs.

Yesterday, the last day of school, the local newspaper comes in to do a story about our school. I get up this morning to read it. My P basically eluded that we were all fired and that she "wasn't afraid to make difficult decisions." I am so mad. None of the staff was fired, we all let her know that we were not planning on coming back.

So now it looks like we, the teachers, were incompetent and that we were the cause of the school's rocky start.

I am so mad.

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2009

That's horrible! Just be glad that you're getting out of that school!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 5, 2009

You could write a letter to the editor.

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 5, 2009

What kind of leader is that?!?!

Is that in the Dispatch? (I'm from Cleveland, so I often read the Dispatch).

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

Yeah, the dispatch.

7. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 5, 2009

Is it in the education section or in the local news (metro/state)?

as to what upadaisy said, I'd write a rebuttal letter. Let them know what really went on.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

A letter to the Editor, especially if it is worded unemotionally and logically, might be effective: Dear Editor, in the article of June 6, P seems to imply that she made the "difficult decision" not to rehire several members of the staff. In fact, each of these teachers had already decided not to return to X School...add as many reasons as you feel comfortable in doing, but don't go on a rant - that's what we're for!

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

When I looked it was on the front page, where the titles are listen, I think it is under education. The title is something about KIPP.

I am afraid if I write a letter she would somehow find a way to stop my pay (which I get through mid-August).

She tried to make us look bad, but 3 of the 4 teachers already have positions for next year (the 4th hasn't started looking yet). I was actually offered multiple position...without having to use her as a reference.

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

Thanks Ms. K! I appreciate the advice and allowing me to rant!

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

12. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 5, 2009

Ranting is always allowed :)

That was a cruel thing for P to do!

BTW, how'd you enjoy the KIPP school?

I apologize if you already discussed it in a previous post--I wasn't on the board much this past semester :(

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 5, 2009

Rachel- I don't think you need to do anything. Most people will read between the lines in the article. I did. The principal comes off as being disorganized and having a lack of communication. The only staff returning is the janitors! She is trying to get students! Parents called the year chaotic. I am surprised she has not been fired. It's a good thing you left. The school is a sinking ship.

14. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

KIPP in general is a great thing. I have visited some amazing schools! The leadership at this particular school is not what it needs to be. KIPP is a place for young teachers; the long hours, high demands (especially in new schools), and the strict structure (for students and teachers) makes it difficult for teachers with families or the desire to extend their education or families.

The thing that makes me the most upset is that this is how one of our employees found out that she was not going to be coming back next year. It was incredibly shady.

15. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

Wow!

That seems like a pretty hard school to be at. 7:30-5:00?? Do you even get compensated for the extra hours?

I agree with a previous poster---this lady seems like a drill sergeant
    that is always in need to be in control. She seems like she's grasping at straws by the way she expressed herself in this article.

16. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jun 5, 2009

We receive more pay, 20% more...but we are in school 60% more. I worked at another school with the same hours, but the amount of work was a non-issue because I was happy and appreciated.

Thanks, I just don't want my children's parents to think that the teachers were in any way incompetent.

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 5, 2009

I read it as a sinking ship as well. And, anyone who needs to really know, will know. People talk. It was not a positive article and I don't think lines will form to enroll children based upon that article. Be glad you are gone.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 5, 2009

"The only school staff members, besides the principal, who will return are the janitors."

That Shouts volumes!
    You have a contract and have completed the school year and you have differed payments they HAVE to pay you.

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 5, 2009

Doesn't sound like a place I would want to teach. Are kids even able to focus for that long. I brought my 5th to 8th graders reading levels and math scores up to grade level and we were only in class from 8:00 to 2:30 with two half hour recesses and a half hour lunch.

20. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jun 5, 2009

I would be very careful about writing a letter to the newspaper. I don't think they publish anonymous letters. (A teacher in our district did that and it came back to haunt her.)