Rant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 25, 2015

I am so incredibly thankful that we are off this entire week for Thanksgiving Break. Last week, most administrators were feeling stressed out due to a new online CFA (Commom Formative Assessment) component that needs to be implemented (CFAs used to be paper/pencil). All VPs are in charge of testing/data, so I need to make certain that my staff is trained on how to administer these exams.

We were strongly encouraged to roll out the online CFAs in Decemeber; however, I was given the green light from my principal to wait until January (after Winter Break).

There are a handful for VPs who I'm completely certain will begin having their staff proctor the online CFAs as soon as we return from break next week. Those five or six people are the ones who want to apply for site principal positions in late spring/early summer, so they're eager to show the district office how gung-ho they are about any directive we're given.

My plan is to let them (the overzealous VPs) figure out the kinks so I can develop an easy-to-follow cheat sheet for my staff to use in January!

I'll be 34 in a couple of months and have no desire to move up the ladder at this point in my life. Plus, when I see and hear what my colleagues do to try to impress the higher ups, I cringe.

Personally, I chose to become an administrator to help guide both students and teachers. I am an instructional leader and take my role very seriously. It makes me sad and disheartened to see other people who solely have their sights set on making it to the district office and will do whatever it takes to reach that level.

End of rant.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2015

You seem like the kind of administrator who needs to move up the ladder.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 25, 2015

Sounds like you have the teachers in mind MUCH MORE than yourself. That is a trait I've seen in the best of administrators. Stay where you are and continue doing your work. You'll know if and when you should consider a linear move.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 26, 2015

Sometimes I wonder if school systems are leaving the field of education and becoming a field of assessment. It's true that checks and balances are needed, but surely things could be done more efficiently with less. Sometimes I also feel that schools are becoming too computer-happy; computers are great, but computers are supposed to work for us: we're not supposed to work for the computers.

Bibliophile likes this.
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2015

You have shown that you have what it takes to be a superb leader. You will know when the time is right to move to a position where you can do more for your students and staff.

7. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 26, 2015

I see your point. Who wants to move up a ladder while all that crap that is falling on your head and the poor teachers you have to deliver that "good" news to.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 26, 2015

This.

MrsC likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2015

I hope your staff knows how lucky they are to work with you!

MrsC likes this.
  10. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 30, 2015

As someone who could be described as your colleagues very soon (I'll have my admin credential by the end of December, will be applying for jobs this spring and summer), I appreciate your perspective. And would like to offer another.

We had to begin interim testing this year, and were strongly encouraged to do a test run before it is required. I'm super glad I did because my account was never set up to be a proctor! I had to contact more than three people over two weeks to get this simple problem solved. My administrators had no clue about any of it, and I would have appreciated if they had taken the time to learn the system themselves so they could have troubleshooted my issue quickly.

I know your intentions are to help your teachers as much as possible, so I hope you will take the time to actually learn the program and not just rely on cheat sheets, etc.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 30, 2015

I'm sure you're referring to the SBAC (or CAASPP here in CA). Anyway, I am not sure if you saw the handbook for teachers, but it was a novel. I condensed it into one easy-to-follow document that everyone in our distirct used last year. I emailed it to a friend/colleague and she innocently sent it to someone at D.O. (they gave me credit, though).

Again, I'm all about making things as painless as possible for teachers (which includes producing self-made cheat sheets). That being said, I can't make things less of headache for them unless I truly understand the test/program/procedure myself.