rant/need advice

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by jteach89, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Mar 27, 2013

Idk if its just me or maybe because I'm a new teacher but am looking for some advice.

I am currently a new teacher, teaching 4 and 5 year olds (preschool). And Im in a classroom with and aid and assistant. I just graduated, and I guess I'm still transitioning from being a "student teacher" to a lead teacher. SO far I'm not happy where I am at. Often the aid will sit off and do nothing unless I tell them. I was told to be more assertive with both giving directions and orders because I am the head teacher in the classroom. I have trouble doing that cuz I expect people to know what to do but then again maybe they do not. On top of that, its some how taking two months for these people to pay me, and to today I got yelled at.

Not sure days if its lack of motivation, late pay, organization or what but been having days where I do not want to go to work and its ONLY BEEN TWO months and my first real job out of college. Maybe it's me not sure, I really do love kids, and will work on what I need to in order to make myself a better teacher. I don't expect perfection. Maybe I should work with an older group? I have no idea. I really love working with children and being in the classroom. Anyone has experiences of being new teacher in particular with early childhood? what things worked, what didnt work so that the days run smoother?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 27, 2013

Why did someone yell at you?
    Why delayed payment?

I'd keep my eyes open for other options...

4. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Mar 27, 2013

I got yelled at from something I take responsibility for and but I PM'd you @JUST ME. The delayed payment, LONG story... not sure I can last here. But I'm still learning myself how to work with early childhood in terms of teaching and supervision. Additionally, I'm coming in where the kids have had a few other teachers come in and there is a lack of consistency. So I do feel when it comes to classroom management its a struggle. They do things that they have "never done" according to the other teachers.

5. NeoTeacher

NeoTeacher Rookie

Mar 28, 2013

You're not alone. I'm a new teacher that started midyear as well. I have kindergarten and classroom management has been a mess! My aid helps out when he feels like it and my kids cannot stop talking. Coming straight from student teaching to taking over a class midyear is a struggle because we're not used to giving other adults direction. The only advice I have for that is what I got here. Get them busy! My aid does my bulletin boards and prepares my materials for the day.

I don't think Kindergarten is for me and plan on moving to a higher grade and new school in my district next year. I interviewed for a para position before getting my teaching offer and the principal told me to ask for a transfer to her school once the year is over. lol

Last week I was so frustrated I wanted to quit. I cried, yelled, screamed, ate ice cream, went to sleep, and when I woke up I had a clearer head. I realized that I had been letting everyone but myself run my classroom. I finally took control. I don't argue with students. If I give a direction I walk away and wait for them to do it. If they don't they know what the consequence is. They get mad and throw tantrums and I ignore it. It's still a struggle but I'm a lot less stressed out than I was last week and some kids have already gotten with the program. When it gets overwhelming in the classroom, I have them lay their heads down and we take a break until I feel in control again. I even had them do breathing excercises with me one afternoon. Hang in there! It's only 2 or 3 more months depending where you are, until summer vacation. :)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2013

I'm not sure about the yelling issue or the late payment stuff, but the interaction between you and your aide and assistant is definitely within your control. You do have to be assertive and let them know what you expect of them. It might be useful to have a sit-down with them and ask them about their strengths and preferences. Maybe they'd be more helpful if they were more invested in what they're doing. In any case, you do need to find a way to communicate with them about what you want and need. There are many threads here about working with aides and assistants, so you might want to start searching.

Good luck!

7. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Apr 8, 2013

Thank you all for your responses. Its been difficult but it seems like for now I'm somewhat getting the hang of things. I work at a childcare/daycare facility so things are not exactly like in a public school system. EVERYTHING has to be noted and reported whether the child is making it up or not. Been feeling pressure of doing my job as a teacher, as well as supervision of the children. I don't want lose my license over something that could be avoided.

I definitely feel like I would like to work with an older group. Perhaps between 1st and 2nd grade. Not sure if its the age group, or where I work but it everything they do makes me paranoid lol. The younger children are much more needy, will get into something KNOWING they shouldn't, and its hard to keep an eye on 21+ children. There is not as much structure time because its a preschool, so they think they can do whatever.

Praying and hoping for better outcomes and maybe a job in a public school.

Once again thanks all for your responses.