RANT AND RAVE!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missthompson, Oct 15, 2007.

1. missthompson

missthompson Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I am just tired of my school district. There is no principal. There is only a superintendent and a counselor. We never hear from the sup. she doesn't discipline kids. We are left to take up for the slack in the lack of organization in the administration. We never have "teacher meetings", problem children are allowed to wear creative hats and blow bubbles when they get into trouble:down:. The supt. and counselor are hardly ever here. I have only had counseling two times since school started in Aug. It's supposed to be on a weekly basis. What can you do when the problems are too far above your head? The school board has no clue what is going on! This is such a small district.... only 140 kids in the school with one teacher per grade. I feel I am overqualified for this school and I definitely don't see myself excelling here. I am a second year teacher making only 25,000 a year. We have two aides who do our breaks and half the time they get pulled to do something else or go to the store. We never get told about it. It's so ridiculous the anger and grumpiness I've built up due to the constant schedule changes and lost break times.

Anyone else relate to this or is my school as jacked up as I think it is???

3. missthompson

missthompson Rookie

Oct 16, 2007

I was just having a bad day yesterday. I am getting my applications ready for next year though. :) Thanks to everyone who read my post!

4. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Oct 16, 2007

Hi.

Sorry you are havign such bad issues. They are pretty bad, too.

Also, I think $25,000 for a teacher is absolutely pathetic. Teachers deserve at least twice that with as much work and time they put in as well as all the crap they deal with.

Yes definitely apply at other schools. You can go ahead and look no even.

Good luck!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 16, 2007

If you know you won't be able to use your talents there, get your ducks in a row and be ready to start interviewing in January. It sure sounds like a ridiculous system they have going.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2007

I can't imagine teaching in that district. I agree to get everything in line and then start applying in January. $25,000 for a second year teacher is absolutely WRONG. Base here in TX is $27,000 for a first year; however, the small districts still pay $1000 above that with many districts starting out at between $30,000 and $40,000.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 16, 2007

I can sure relate! We've had our ups and downs w/principal issues - 5 principals in 6 years and 1/2 year with no principal. We usually had an acting principal or a head teacher to deal with discipline issues and parents. However, I did have one of these principals who I sent a child to for hitting other children. She came back 3 minutes later with a piece of candy!!!!! That is when I knew I would have to handle all the discipline without the principal.

One thing we did though, all the teachers agreed that we needed to meet weekly and a teacher who had been at the school a long time led the meetings. We also had an agreement that we could place a child in another classroom if they were disrupting our class. The other teacher would supervise a time out. That helped.

It does sound like a bad situation. Maybe you should talk to the superintendent just asking if there is a plan to get a principal at your school.

The principal we have had the last 2 years is excellent and has taught me and the students so much about conflict resolution, teaching ideas, etc. Totally supportive of the TEACHERS.

8. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 18, 2007

GET OUT!!!! That's all I can say!