Rant and a serious question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Sep 22, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2015

I currently work for a contracting company, who put special education providers into schools that cannot find staff of their own or cannot afford to do so. Which means, it is not unusual that i work in a tiny charter in Detroit.

This is not the issue, the issue is that this school has been, since day one, asking of me to violate special education law.

(Lets ignore that we are on the sixth school schedule of the year, that i am never informed of anything, that I have been told I have to do things like teach 4th grade for two days but given no materials to do so, etc, etc, etc)

I tried to give the Brigance assessment to a student who had an IEP last week, and was initially told NO, due to it not being part of their approved curriculum, I just said I would do it anyway and copy it at home...they changed their tune.

I have not been told when my caseload students are in school, several started in the second week, one in the third. I haven't been told where they will be when, but yelled at for not providing hours.

IEPs from two years ago were readily available and in the open for others to see, I was not allowed to shred them, nor am I allowed a key to my room to lock up materials. I am not allowed to see current IEPs unless with permission as they are kept in another building (only on Thursdays when the others from my company are there).

I am not allowed to provide certain accommodations like reading of tests, and when I pushed the issue I was allowed to test one grade level while another grade was sent to test without me.

There is so much more, really there is.

My company has sent out my resume and is encouraging me to look, they are doing all they can to help me find another job. When I have one secured they are ending the contract, as this is not the first time this has happened. The principal claims it is "not a good fit", but I came highly recommended and know I know my stuff.....so my company is sick of it.

What I want to know, can I get the school into non-compliance with SPED law...and if so who do I call to get it done?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2015

If students are not receiving their IEP designated time, then yes the school is in non-compliance with the law and therefore can be reported. I would start with the state's board of education. Are you worried about backlash from the school if they find out you reported them?

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 22, 2015

What smalltowngal said.

I'm sure someone at the board of education would get something in the works. You're not a superhero and it'd be a mess to try to fix the school yourself. Just let the powers that be know.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2015

Yes I am worried about the backlash, but worse I am more worried that if a parent decides to sue, I am the one on the line right now.

I try to give the time in the IEP's but there are "non-negotiable" times I am not allowed to take kids out of class. First hour and the reading block. So I use first hour for planning and I am still teaching 4th grade during reading block so I CAN"T even go in to other classes to provide time. That leaves math only and I am expected to be in the 5/6th class and the 7/8th class at the same time. (yes you read that right, the classes are doubled, about 30 per class....not enough desks....)

I would rather report anonymously, just so I can be sure that the kids get what they need but I am kept out of it. I know when I leave there will be no SPED teacher for the rest of the year, that is what happened last year, and the year before (when my company did not have the contract) they never did hire a sped teacher.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 22, 2015

How are moderate to severe kids' IEPs handled when there is no sped staff?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2015

I'm wondering if the schools in question are questioning confidentiality issues given you are a part time, contracted out employee

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2015

If she has an educational right to view those IEPs, it doesn't matter if she is part time contracted. She is providing the services for those students and need to be able to see what their IEPs state.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 23, 2015

I don't know how it works in your state, but charter schools are linked to public schools in my state. Which means there's definitely a city contracted district level rep that sees into certain affairs regarding sped. I would start there. All of this sounds so wrong. I don't know how the school has not gotten flagged for not providing sped services.