Rant about partner teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bella2010, May 8, 2010.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 8, 2010

I teach 6th, and this is my first year with this partner teacher. Sometimes, I really don't know what she's thinking, and I don't know how she gets away with some of the things she does.

Our dresscode states that jeans are only to be worn on the occasional spirit day. She wears them at least twice a week. Yes, this is her first year at this school; however, she's been in this district for over 15 years. My school has a dress code, and the kids can't wear jeans except on spirit day, why should she? She walks down a crowded hallway talking on her cell phone when we're supposed to be monitoring the kids. The kids can't pull their cell phones out in the hallway, why should she be able to? Seriously, how can we expect our kids to "play by the rules" if we don't?

My principal is big on "be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there." The kids are stacked up outside of her door for 10 minutes or longer before she comes out of the lounge to unlock her door.

She gives the kids tons of worksheets. Okay, it's her class, and it's her call to do what she wants. The kids whined about it, and I ignored it because it's not any of my business. I thought they were exaggerating until the first time she brought over absent work for one of my homeroom kids. The kids honestly have at least five worksheets a day. This has been consistent every time she's brought over absent or ISS work. Again, her business, her classroom. I just think that's a little on the side of overkill.

All together, we have 45 kids. Twenty of those kids are flunking at least one of her subjects.

And, she showed everyone in the lounge her tan line, bikini none the less. Yeah, could have gone my ENTIRE life without seeing that.

I know part of what is going on here is just a plain old personality clash. I am way conservative when it comes to rules. If someone says I'm not supposed to do something, I don't do it. So, I guess I get a little irritated when I see someone push things without any repercussions.

We all have our faults. I don't want this post to sound like I am "holier than thou," or that I do everything perfect because God knows I don't. It's just kind of been building and now with two weeks of school left, it's really about to send me over the edge.

Thanks for listening,

Beth

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 8, 2010

I know what you mean and I would be upset about this as well. This is particularly more upsetting when our students are also expected to follow a dress code.

I also think that using the cell phone in the hallway is way out of line also.

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 8, 2010

Isn't there any way you can mention things in conversation to get your feelings across? As far as students having to follow the same dress codes and cell phone rules as students, I don't think it's necessary as we are the adults and they, the students. However, I do agree that she shouldn't be on her phone in the hallways during school time. Showing her tan line in the teachers lounge is probably not breaking any rules. I know we have our moments in the teachers lounge at our school. Not every day, but a few times a year, yes. Worksheets are over used by some and not used at all by others. Unless they are not allowed at your school, I wouldn't worry too much about the worksheets. It doesn't necessarily mean that she isn't teaching. All in all, I can tell you are frustrated with her but I wouldn't let her deal become your deal. As long as her work habits don't infringe on your professional duties or freedoms, I would let it go. Don't make yourself sick over things someone else does. It's not a reflection of you. I hope things work out.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 8, 2010

We have a few teachers like that at our school too-especially now that the year is winding down it seems like they are taking more liberties. What came to my mind reading it was what I tell my kids. Often one of my students will say "Johnny isn't doing his work" and my response is "that's my job to worry about, you worry about your own work". That would be my advice to you. Let the admin deal with the other issues (and you never know, they might have talked to her about dress code or phone use) and concentrate on your own students. People have different priorities and often times that's just who they are-you can't change them,just have to learn to try and accept the differences when you're working together.

6. Nate

Nate Companion

May 8, 2010

I'd say your best move is to lead by example. If the teacher's superior is not aware of these violations, then they probably don't warrant intervention. Be the best teacher you can be, and hope you inspire others--getting passive aggressive will only make it worse.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 8, 2010

Granted, the worksheets and the tan line showing are pure clashes of personality.

However, the dress code thing and the phone deal, not so much. NONE of the other teachers at my school wear jeans or talk on our phones/text in front of our kids. We all abide by our dress code, and our cell phones stay in our desks. Because, plain and simple, that's what were supposed to do.

If the admin has talked to her about this, she obviously isn't listening. I just don't really understand why some people think the rules don't apply to them.

I take her with a grain of salt, and there's no way I would create drama about this at my school. I've never said a word about this to any of my fellow teachers. It's just really gets on my nerves because, again, I don't understand why some people think they're above the rules. I never have understood that, and I never will.

She's about 20 years older than I am. I guess I just think when you're almost as old as my mother and you've been teaching for a gazillion and one years, you don't show off your tan line and you do what is expected of you. :p

Beth

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2010

I see nothing wrong with saying to her, the next time she wears jeans, "how come you get to wear jeans today?"

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 9, 2010

Bella,

Will you be partnered with her again next school year?

You said that there are only two weeks of school left, correct? Just stay as far away from her as possible for the next ten days!

We all work with people like her! It's unfortunate and quite frustrating!

10. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 9, 2010

Ouch. Based on the information you posted in your OP, I am about the same age as this woman. I have not "been teaching for a gazillion and one years." (just 17)
    Now, if I had a body where I could have a bikini tan line (I don't) and it were my friends in the lounge, I might show it off, because perhaps it was one of those jokey-around kind of days that needs a little lightening.
    As for the dress code violations and the phone thing... I follow the same rules that the kids are expected to follow. My school district does not have a dress code, but the kids are not allowed to have their phones on them during the school day. Therefore, my phone stays in my purse in my desk. My students do know that I leave my classroom phone on in case there is an emergency with my personal children.
    Perhaps it is because I am "old as your mother" that I have learned not to let what other people do get to me. There is some distance that comes with age. It's not my place to say anything to anyone else unless their behavior is directly affecting me. So would I ask her about my students that are failing her class? Absolutely. Would I ask her why she gets to wear jeans and I don't? Nope. None of my business. That's for an admin to deal with.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

Here's what I tell my students:
    'Take care of you'.

You can wonder how your colleagues get away with what they do...they usually aren't really getting away with anything. Administration either has addressed it with no result, or picks their fights and this isn't worth it...but admin does have their ways of dealing with teachers who flaunt the system albeit in sly passive-aggressive ways- a change in grade level, giving other teachers 'goodies' first (SmartBoard, laptops, etc), class placement...

It's not about you. Shake your head and do your thing...

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 9, 2010

I can empathize. It may be that you feel your students are not succeeding in large part because she shows symptoms of someone who is self involved. I sense that in your post. Maturity unfortunately does not automatically coincide with age. Perhaps you felt that you would have a strong team because she had great experience and instead you found you have a weak team because her work ethic (yes, I do feel that if you don't uphold the school's policies you have a poor work ethic) is less than exemplary.
    If you have her as a partner next year, that would be the time to lay the ground rules and tell her about how you feel. If you are not anticipating working with her, I recommend that you try to block the mental image of the tan line, ignore the uniform issues and just be a professional to the end. No sense in losing your composure so close to the finish line. I do feel sorry that you have this kind of partnership and wish for you a better team next year.

13. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

May 10, 2010

My husband TAM's and recently went to a professional development about team teaching. They said something that really made me think. They said it is a marriage. Think about it, over 50% end in divorce because sometimes people just are not compatible. When it works it is so good, but when it does not work it is sooooooooo bad.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

We have team teachers, and while most of them have a comfortable relationship there are one or two that do not get along.

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 10, 2010

That makes perfect sense!

At "face value," we get along. I'm not into drama, and I would never let the feelings/opinions I have expressed here be heard at school. I am sure there are things I do that she doesn't agree with. As I mentioned before, most things are just a clash of personalities - the worksheets, tan line showing, etc.

The uniform thing and the phone thing have been going on all year. Again, if admin talked to her, she obviously didn't take heed. This has been one of my pet peeves my entire life. Rules are made to be followed whether you agree with them or not. Seriously, I'm 35 weeks pregnant and even though I only have a few pairs of maternity pants I can wedge myself into, I still dress up to code everyday. I have some REALLY comfortable pairs of maternity jeans and capris that I would LOVE to pull on in the mornings, trust me, but I don't because we've been told that's a no-no.

Is it of my concern? Technically, no. If admin doesn't care, then neither should I. However, I don't really think that admin should be put in the position of reprimanding a teacher for not following two simple rules that every other teacher at my school follows. Really, she is a professional, perhaps she should follow the rules of our "professional" dress code.

Thanks for all the different points of view! :D

Beth