Ranking students in class performance

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by alabama, Aug 19, 2017.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Aug 19, 2017

A parent would like me to let them know where their student ranks in class performance. The truth of the matter is that this particular child is the best in the class, but I feel uncomfortable revealing this information to the parents. Is this something that I should reveal to them?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2017

I would not respond to the parent's request. They don't need any personal information about other students in the class, and that's what that information would be. You could just give specifics about how their child is performing...they have an A in this and a B in that.

MrsC likes this.
  4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 19, 2017

I would just say "it is district policy not to provide that information, but he/she is doing a great job in class."

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

I would pass this request along to your principal and allow him/her to decide if honoring this parent's request is appropriate.

readingrules12 likes this.
  6. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2017

Yeah, that's not really appropriate, and even if it was, I think it's doing a disservice to their child. The focus should be around their growth compared to themselves and the standards, and not those around them. Regardless, most (if not all) states/districts probably have policies against sharing about other students' progress, which that in a sense is doing.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 19, 2017

It would be a violation of FERPA guidelines to reveal any *other* students' grades, but not the grades of the student in question. With that said, I don't think it would cause any harm letting the parent know that their child is ranked #1. For example, back when I was in high school (years 2006-2010) our class rank was posted on our official transcripts every year. To demonstrate, my high school had over 3,000 students and in my graduating class of 875 I was listed as rank 27 on my transcripts.

Schools give out top student awards (principal's list, honor roll, and top student per subject) all the time during assemblies -- at the high school where I teach we do once a semester. In no way does this let the entire school know other students' progress. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017