Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 23, 2015

I don't know what company you applied with, but w/ ETS, you can work from home. So i don't even have to drive once to anywhere.

2. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 23, 2015

Someone from the district office told me that they're only paying the exam scorers minimum wage to score the CAASPP. Yikes! :dizzy:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 23, 2015

Well, I know I'm getting $13/hr & it's only seasonal extra $, so I figured, why not. I only wanted to do the subject of lang arts by the way.

Another person or two on this board said she does it & has been with them for yrs making up to $20+/hr.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2015

I find the whole 'work from home and score high stakes tests' offensive. The stress, anxiety and pressure some of these tests are creating for kids, parents, educators and school districts is intense. The chain of possession/accountability guidelines within the school on testing days is akin to getting into Fort Knox ( unique log ins for kids, collect scrap paper and shred it, no cell phomes in testing rooms, signatures of all parties involved..:dizzy) and then to find out scorers with only a bachelors degree and 'education experience preferred' are being selected, paid babysitting rates and then are scoring at home with possibly tv on, glass of wine in hand and texting on phone is somewhat contradictory..:2cents:

This isn't about you,Ms I, but it is about some of what's wrong with the current wave of testing.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2015

Yep, they need to pay more.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2015

It's about more than pay.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2015

Yep, I completely understand & agree w/ all the other things you said in that post too.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2015

:thumb:

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 5, 2015

I don't like to rush time, but I'll be so glad when Sat., March 21st gets here! That & one more future date will be one of the last times in my life that I should be free from grad school, studying, etc.!!! I'll be able to really do some intense spring cleaning too.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 5, 2015

How happy you must be MsI. With all of the stress of getting your grad school and degree behind you wouldn't you begin to look for a job in your field? Knowing that it took a lot of hard work I would think you would want to begin putting your degree to work or do you have a position already in your field?

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 5, 2015

janlee, I already had a job in my SLP field for 3 yrs (w/ full salary) while still in school. It's just this school yr going on now that I'm not working in the field so I can focus on finishing up my last classes, etc.

I've been successfully working at home for just about a year now. (They're jobs that are non-education & non-SLP related.) To be honest w/ you, I LOVE working from home & want to see how long I can keep this up! Will I ever commute to a job again? I'm sure I will. (I don't plan to get back into special ed teaching though, which I used to do too.)

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

Congratulations, Ms. I!

I just need to vent about DST. It is the biggest waste of energy in my opinion and needs to be done away with. One hundred years ago daylight savings time made sense. Not anymore! I am REALLY not looking forward to next week. Sleep deprivation is no fun.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 5, 2015

It takes me 3-4 days to adjust myself to DST. After that I dont mind it. At least I can take an evening walk after work without the park rangers chasing me out because it got dark so early when they close at sunset :lol:

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 5, 2015

I appreciate it, but first, I need prayers & good wishers that I pass! :)

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2015

I will ditto what you posted...all of it!!!

I never understood why the clock changes have to be on a Sunday?!? Why not Friday going into Saturday...at least you have some time to get used to it before work starts back up. It just reeks havoc on the body!!! Waking, eating, going to bed. It's awful for night owls!!!

Ok my vent... I promised my gram when my gpa died (I did his slideshow for his memorial) that I would do hers. I'm trying to get a rough draft done for her bday...her health has been a roller coaster. I know in the long run it will be great to have it done...but wow I forgot how long the process is. I can't believe I did my gpa's in 4 days!!!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 6, 2015

DizneeTeachR, thanks as well & I agree about the day they do the time change.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2015

Been relaxing, reading, & doing work at home today! Made a new pitcher of cucumber water! It looks like it will rain any minute.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 24, 2015

Nice avatar, Ms. I! I am so ready for summer. We have three days with kids after Memorial Day and a work day. This first year has been great, but I am ready for some down time.

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 24, 2015

Busy today with some hemming, grocery shopping, and finding places for DSs belongings. He moved home from college (commuting for a final semester) 2 weeks ago and his stuff is still everywhere. Picnic tomorrow !

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2015

I'm so proud of myself for doing a complete 180 on my walking/fitness. I've been keeping up w/ my walking w/ dumbells 5-6 days/wk since April 6th now. Sure, I've walked for yrs before here & there, but not w/ this consistency. Now, if I can squeese in the gym more, I'll be set!

I'll start packing for my San Francisco trip the end of this wk! I'm so excited! :haha:

Thanks runsw/scissors! It's so carefree!

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 24, 2015

I had applied to be a scorer from Pearson, and they accepted me as a scorer for the 6th grade PAARC test... but $13/hr, minimum 20 hours a week? Nah, I'm good. I'll just pick up two extra tutoring students.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 24, 2015

I have graded for them for years. You can do more and as you improve, your pay goes up. I graded two hours last night just as we watched the storms in my area. I wasn't scheduled and normally Saturday scoring doesn't happen on ASPIRE, but for some reason, yesterday it did.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 24, 2015

The traffic this weekend is a nightmare! I went shopping and then had to drive to my MIL's house and it took me 3 times as long as usual. People were out in droves. It didn't help that some weirdos on the road don't know how to drive (like the lady in the fancy car with the license plate that read "Frenchy". She was going 35 in a 55! So annoying!!

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 29, 2015

I haven't been on here for a long time, but I am so happy that this school year is older.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2015

The school year is DONE! Let summer commence!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 4, 2015

I dont' remember where the chips thread was but I finally got to try the Wasabi Ginger Lays chips. I found a small bag so for $1 so I bought it! They were good but I'm glad I didn't have to buy a big bag to try them.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2015

TeacherNY, glad you finally tried them.

Did you ever try that taro flavored frozen yogurt?

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2015

No, I never went back to that frozen yogurt place but I might during my vacation.

29. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 11, 2015

This week I learned that cardinals like strawberries. I planted the strawberries in a container on the deck to keep them away from the rabbits, but every time I went out to check on them all the fruits had been animal eaten anyway! I couldn't figure out what would be eating them. Then a few days ago Sweets saw two cardinals (a male and a female) sitting out there taking turns pecking at a fruit!

30. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Jun 13, 2015

I went to the beach yesterday with my mom... I did my best to stay in the shade because I didn't want to burn, and my mom spent as much time as possible trying to tan in the sun... so... naturally I got super burned (I have a couple blisters) and my mom didn't even tan.

Sunburns hurt soooo bad... :-( Don't forget to keep applying sunscreen, folks!

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2015

I had to call 911 last night because there was a shooting outside the hotel we're staying in. :( I believe that a teenager was shot in the head at an iHop next door and is in critical condition. Following the shooting was a high-speed car chase. There were tons of police cars in the area blocking off the streets. The police helicopter circled for about an hour.

It was a very scary situation. The gunshots woke us up and sounded like they were RIGHT outside our window. In my half-sleep, I felt like our windows were going to get blown out. I don't know that I've ever been so scared before. I am not used to this sort of thing. The area our hotel is in isn't especially bad and is very near a military base.

32. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2015

How scary, Caesar!

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2015

I hope that the kid is okay. I haven't found much in the news.

34. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2015

Caesar, that sounds scary. I am glad that you weren't harmed.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2015

Oh no. My mom & I both avoid the sun at all costs.

You've had quite a lot of action. Where are you vacationing?

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

So glad your family is ok, Caesar! I hope you get some good news on the victim.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

Yikes, that's a scary vacation! The worst thing I've had in a hotel was hearing the people in the room next to us yell at eachother and something hit the wall but we called the front desk and then it was quiet.
    I got to go to the Drive in movies last night! Saw Jurassic world and Pitch Perfect 2. Got home at 1:15am! I forgot how long 2 movies in a row can be :lol:

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2015

Busy here! Thursday was district end of year celebration at lovely venue nearby. Friday night went out with eh to meet friends and see a band at local cantina. Dinner at shore last night with college friend and her hubby..beautiful sunset!

39. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

Noxema works well for healing sunburns. I always keep a jar in the cabinet for such occasions.

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 14, 2015

I'd forgotten how much I love the beach. I hadn't been in ten years because my EX hated the beach. I flew to the beach by myself for a 14 day trip.