Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2013

What's your new schedule, Ms. I? Will you still be at the same school?

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 14, 2013

Yes MrsC, same school, but I'll only have to drive there 2 days/wk (& the drive isn't exactly around the corner). The other days of the week, I have a couple of projects going on. THIS is the type of schedule I've wanted for a LOOOOOOOONG time! :D

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 14, 2013

Our tree is propped in the corner. We inherited this one. The stand was nailed to a board for stability but somehow worked it's way off the nails. Two of the tree legs are off of bent nails still firmly plated in the board. How exactly does that happen? The tree fell over in the middle of the day when the dog was in her cage. We don't have cats or small children, and the stand's nail holes are not rusted through or anything. The nails are all bent at 90 degree angles. I am stumped as to how it happened and what to do to fix it.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2013

Runs--did you have a lot more ornaments on one side than the other? Back when I was a kid my parents had a tree that fell over because it was unbalanced...they balanced it out with more ornaments on the bare side and put a rope around the trunk and nailed the rope to wall to provide even more support.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 14, 2013

Having short legs stinks. I've hemmed pants all day.

On the plus side, I'm hemming new pants and taking up shirts and dresses because I've lost 20 pounds.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2013

Congrats, Ima Teacher ....on the 20 pound loss....... Good for you.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 14, 2013

Thanks. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I can't take the meds. So, I'm monitoring through diet and exercise. Losing weight will also help me with my surgery in January.

I have 80 more pounds to go to be at my pre-illness weight.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2013

Yay, I've made it to Christmas break without getting sick! :)

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 21, 2013

Me, too, and I'm kinda pleasantly surprised. Since Thanksgiving every day I felt the way I feel right before I get sick: scratchy throat, and having that 'almost sick' feeling, but really nothing hurts, and it's not even uncomfortable, just the feeling of doom... this usually lasts 1 day then I either get sick, or not, but it was never like this. I just kept feeling like that, but never actually got it. The area I live in has really bad air quality and a lot of people have or develop allergies, but so far that hasn't happened :)

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2013

I usually don't get all roweled up over stars and their relationships. But, I was happy to hear that Dwayne Wade finally proposed to Gabrielle Union. I like them as a couple!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 24, 2013

Ah, I just had a lovely Christmas Eve with my parents! They visited me at my place, then we went to the Mercedes dealership to test drive the car my mom will more than likely get, then had a nice early dinner at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants. Nice day! :)

By, the way, DHE, I like Gabrielle Union as an actress!

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 5, 2014

The tree is history. It fell a second time just as we were walking out the door to leave for Christmas vacation with out of town family. Ornaments were not unbalanced. I'm a little crazy about having them evenly spaced. The tree was a hand-me-down and was missing a couple branches when we got it. The base was original to the tree but way to small for the size of the tree. We will be purchasing a new one for next Christmas.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2014

Did someone call out 'Timber!', runs? :lol: at least you'll have funny stories to tell about that tree for years!

Another snow day here in Northern NJ....with a huge storm predicted for Sunday.

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2014

Snowy/icy here today too. This is the 2nd storm this week and the 2nd snow day. I wasn't prepared with school work on Monday because of my new policy of not working on planning/grading on weekends. I'm planning to get a lot done today.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 5, 2014

I'm tired of snow days. We are into double digits. I've worked two days since Christmas break. At least everyone else got in 7. Today I woke up with pink eye. Now I doubt I'll get to go to a concert with friends tonight. Ugh. Maybe we will work tomorrow, at least.

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 5, 2014

I want to try herb gardening this year (container style). I'm thinking of growing rosemary, sage, thyme, cilantro, and parsley. Any advice?

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2014

So tired today! I was gone all day on a nice day trip, then worked for 5 hrs. It's now 11:18pm, but I'm not quite sleepy yet. I may watch a little TV for the first time today.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 6, 2014

I have tried many times to grow cilantro but it just never took. I would get thin threads of cilantro growing then they would tangle up with eachother or fall over when they got too tall. I don't know what I did wrong but it was just a mess. I will never try to grow cilantro again. Maybe you will have better luck!

19. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 7, 2014

Rosemary does not need much water. Sage gets big and it seems like when I cut the flowers it gets nicer leaves for cooking. Parsley is great, just may bloom and then you may just wait for seeds to plant new parsley. Thyme is super easy. Cilantro was ok for first few weeks and then got flowers so that was not useable. The more you cut herbs the better they get. If you want green onion, just put the white ends of the green onion from the store in dirt, grows in no time. Happy gardening.

I need to put some mulch in my garden or maybe better compost. It would be good to start compost again.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Ah, it's Sunday afternoon & I'm just relaxing! I haven't had really any homework for grad school lately & it feels so good to not have homework (but it's coming up!)

In my entire adult life, I don't really know what it's like to not have college homework. I'll be glad when I never have any more homework ever again! :dizzy:

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

My thyme and sage come back every year...rosemary sometimes comes back...bunnies tend to nibble my parsley...haven't tried cilantro, but I always grow basil and at mummers end I make batches of pesto and freeze it. I've never had luck from seed...buy plans at your nursery.
    Keep your herb container near your kitchen door...then go out when your cooking with kitchen shears and snip away! You're going to love growing herbs!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

Thanks for the tip. I have seen the seed kits showing up at the stores, and I have been looking to get some. I know there are some herbs that do better from cuttings. I'll look into buying baby plants rather than starting from seeds. My most immediate need is a shelf of some sort I can put in the kitchen to hold the plants until the weather warms enough that I can move them outdoors.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2014

Definitely wait until all chance of frost before moving outside...
    They make plant shelves you can hang in a window...
    I'm fortunate...I have three greenhouse windows! Only one is too cold for anything right now...plants in the other two are doing awesome...including orchids.:)

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2014

I have an annual pass, so I'm going to Universal Studios today! :)

Hrs later...

Had a great, but long day! Also grocery shopped at thi store that I've never been to because it's not in my area & watched the movies Lone Survivor & Robocop.

25. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2014

In just the last two months I've picked up running during the week (swimming on Saturdays) and I've been loving it. I usually hate running because I'm so bad at it, but I'm enjoying it this time around for some reason.

Anyways, my purpose of writing this is my general mood is way better! Even my kids noticed. They're like "wow Mrs. W, you've been so happy!" So not only am I getting stronger, I'm getting happier too!

Yehaw! :cool::cool:

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2014

:thumb: endorphins! Keep it up, lucybelle!

27. Glühwürmchen

Glühwürmchen Rookie

Feb 20, 2014

I had my NHS induction tonight and we (all 157 of us) managed to go without any major incidents :D (one girl singed her hair, but otherwise it was good :lol:)

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2014

Yay, it's Friday & I'm not going to work. I don't exactly live around the corner from work & it's raining too much. Plus, the news is showing way too many car accidents already this morning.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2014

So did you take a personal or sick day?

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2014

I don't get either at the school I'm at. Just said due to weather I'm not going & will make it up next week.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 28, 2014

Saw the movies 3 Days to Kill & Non-Stop. Everyone should go see Non-Stop, it was the best movie I've seen in a long time!

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 28, 2014

I didn't work today either. I had jury duty, and it was over by a little after 10. I picked up a friend in the next town and went to the big city for a day of shopping.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 1, 2014

I just might have jury duty on Monday.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 1, 2014

I have to make a Dr. appt. soon so I will ask for the day off in advance. I've never had a day off request denied so it should be fine. Just have to make my appt. as early in the day as possible so I have the rest of the day for myself!

35. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

I have rosemary and cilantro planted (indoors) and purchased seeds for parsley, sweet basil, and oregano. We are also making plans for tomatoes and flower boxes! I can't wait for warmer weather to get here!

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 16, 2014

I worked in my yard all day yesterday. It was 70 and sunny. I have a sunburn.

It was snowing by early afternoon today, and we are out of school tomorrow!

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2014

That's crazy, Ima!

38. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 4, 2014

VENT:
    People drive me nuts!! Someone at school is doing something that causes my class to get to lunch late...THEN they complain we don't leave the lunch room on time...they never realized THEY were they problem!!! I hear they got a talking to so...:D

39. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 4, 2014

Good TeacherNY!

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 4, 2014

I swore off men after my divorce in 2012. However, I have been talking to a guy for the last few weeks, and I might have changed my mind. Dang it. Always when you least expect it.