Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 20, 2006.

1. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

Just crossed my mind ( as the summer dwindles away)this was the first year we did not go to Lake George. Did anyone do anything fun or exciting this summer.

I played Extremem Makeover Home Edition:eek: :eek: :eek: My husband is about ready to kill me. I bought wallpaper for the bedroom, some shabby chic bedding... and a really cool oil painting that I admired just became mine. A friend was going to toss it.

I may go to Splish Splash ( water park here ) next week.......... but that's about it for vacation plans...

2. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

We took the Greyhound (first time in 25 years,) and went to the Twin Cities. It was fun! Love the cities. They had jazz bands outside downtown, near water falls, so beautiful with all the people sitting at tables relaxing. Saw the HUGE fireworks over the Mississippi.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

Sounds enjoyable Grammy!!!! I bet you have a ton of pics

4. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I just picked up the summer homework my kids had to do. We have to report next Wednesday, and we just found our my daughter, who is sixteen, has to have surgery on Monday. I don't think it could get much more hectic, at least I hope not.

5. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

Not serious surgery I hope!!!!!

6. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 6, 2006

We're going to an amazing program for Jewish families...My father gets to sit and study for hours at a time, his dream come true! My mother and I will shop 'til we drop, after a daily class. They arrange other things for the rest of the family, but since noone else from ours will be there, it doesn't apply. My parents have been going every year since before I was born, or maybe since I was born, I'm not sure...Of course, we also have my brother's wedding, so we're bringing all the wedding work with us! (Some vacation, I know...:rolleyes: )

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

2 random thoughts ......

1) I saw Monster House. I found the humor to be very inappropriate for children. Is it just me? I know that alot of the stuff goes over kids heads anyway, but still.

2) I have to vent about little girls wearing clothing with sayings written across their bottoms:( I know it's not a big deal, and fashion is fashion; but it just gives me the creeps because you never know whose walking around out there.

Does anyone else have a problem with these... or am I just getting old fast.? LOL

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 6, 2006

I can't STAND clothing with words across ANYTHING-bottoms, chest or otherwise. I wouldn't wear it if you paid me, and if I had kids, I wouldn't let them either!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

I don't mind kid's clothing with "Adidas" or "Sleeping Beauty"type stuff on the front or back. Or a sweatshirt saying "Lake George" or something.

Aside from that, "Levis" is about the only word I'll buy on clothes. And it's a shame; they ruin some really nice clothes that way!!

10. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 6, 2006

If it's a company name, it has to be VERY small...

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

Slogans and names of places I don't mind. I do find it a shame when a girl about 7 years old has the word "HOTTIE" written across her bottom.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

That drives me insane, too. Especially on shorts with little tiny t-shirts revealing belly-button rings. Ugh!!

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2006

On the plus side for clothing that's available. I went shopping with my 16 year old and I noticed that ALL the shirts available now are really long!! They go down to below their hips!!
    Well that's here in Washington state.
    I know when I went to NY, the fashions were way ahead of the Pacific Northwest.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

Now that's a trend I like. I've gotta say that my own child sports short t's and a bb ring, which I hate, but she's 20 and can choose her own look.

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 6, 2006

That's the way most of the clothes are around here too. I must say, I'm a big fan of that style. Longer shirts flatter my body type much more than shorter ones.

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

I can't stand shirts with "name brands" written across the front. Little girls wearing "hottie" on their clothes is wrong. A four year old in the other classroom was telling the other kids that she thought so and so was really hot and she would "totally" date him!!! It sounds cute, but really, it's wrong.
    If I had a little girl, she would be dressed in the frilliest stuff available and pink tennis shoes with ruffled socks...for as long as I could get away with it! Glad to hear the longer shirts are in style! Maybe they'll be getting away from the tight suggestive clothing.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

Our youngest son (25) was home for the weekend. He just left and I had the usual tears as he drove away. I don't let him see me sad when he leaves...just a huge hug and a smile, meeting of those beautiful blue eyes say it all. Gosh I miss him.

18. helpinghand

helpinghand Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I was all ready to do some super planning nad organizing for school and home this summer. All i did was sit. I did a few things, but not a lot. Now that the heat wave hass subsided for a moment maybe I can make a mad dash in these last weeks remaining.

My problem is sleeping. When it is time to rest at night, I won't wind down and go to bed. I have to out that issue to bed tonight. :)

19. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2006

I've played host to two foreign exchange students from Japan this weekend.They are pre-education majors at their college and are attending many workshops on early childhood education here. The organization desperately needed host families. My daughter is taking Japanese in hs and was talking with a friend from her class, who practically begged us to be a host family.

It's been an educational experience and I'm glad we did it. I grew up having exchange students every summer as my father was the president of the Sister City organization, and I think it's kinda cool that now my children have experienced that. It's very hard to communicate.

I took them shopping, to the beach and to dinner, but what they liked the most was the grocery store!!! They both got their cameras out and started taking pictures of the produce aisle!!! They were ooohing and ahhing over all the fresh fruit!!!!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 7, 2006

Well, this is the last week that my boyfriend & I both have a completely free week off. We both start new jobs this month. He starts next Monday & I start in a couple of weeks. Once we do start, we'll have completely opposite schedules. I'll get off at 4pm & he has to be at work at 4:30pm. The only day of the week we'll have off together is Sunday. I hope that we both really enjoy our jobs & are successful in them!

21. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2006

well, I thought it was going to be a good day until my oil burner went kaput:eek: Needless to say, the money I was saving for teacher clothes is out the window... UGgggh:rolleyes:

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2006

Oh no!!!

23. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

I am just thinking how quickly the summer flew by. :(

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

I am just thinking that I should be in school in 20 minutes and I'm sitting here in my pjs. No kids yet, of course. Tonight we have to go back for back to school night so I don't want to go in early.

25. blueskies

blueskies Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

We went back to school two weeks ago and already I have to remind myself nearly every hour that autumn break is only six weeks away. But before that there's still a one week trip with my class.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

I should go to the gym in another hour or so. I think I will & bring my book w/ me. Well, it's really winding down for me. I start work next week as the new special educator. I hope I'm not bombarded w/ referrals for kids to be tested! I haven't even set my room up yet at all. The last I knew, a brand new portable is waiting to be installed & all the special ed materials were boxed up. I have a lot of stuff to bring from home. I'll pack up my car w/ some stuff ready to bring on the first day.

My clothes are all ready to wear. I reorganized my closets, shoes, & jewelry. I separated my work clothes from fun clothes.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

What grade do you teach, blueskies? Ms. I, you were smart to get your clothes organized. It sounds like such a tiny thing, but it sure helps in the mornings. I'm going to be doing a lot of ironing this weekend. Our first day with students is Mon., too.

28. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Aug 17, 2006

I spent a lot of time in my classroom over the summer reorganizing and planning since I'll be teaching second grade rather than first this year. I do get to keep my first graders from last year :) It feels great to be so organized.

On a sad note, I had my miniature dachsund Molly put to sleep yesterday. She lived a good, long life and I have so many happy memories of her. I miss her, but I know I did the loving, responsible thing as she was 15 and had a serious infection that was making her miserable, and the chances of her recovering were very, very slim.

Have a great school year everyone, and remember....we DO make a difference!

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

Oh, how said, AuburnTeach.

I'm getting ready to head out the door to back to school night and I, of course, couldn't find anything to wear. So, how can I find anything to wear 5 days a week starting Monday? Could I somehow lose 50 pounds by Monday? Sheesh.

30. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 17, 2006

I know what you mean Upsadaisy, I keep weeding out my "slim" clothes and giving them away, when I dare part with them..... reality is I'll never fit in them again.

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2006

Auburnteach, I know how hard that is, but it has to be done for their sake. You have my sympathy.
    Daisy, I have the clothes-don't-fit problem, too! I really don't know what I am going to wear this fall!

32. blueskies

blueskies Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Upsadaisy, "my" kids are in year eight now. We have a class teacher system here, so they have been "mine" since fifth grade now. And hopefully I'll teach them until the end of year ten, when most of them will leave school. But every teacher only teaches two or three subjects, so apart from your own class you get all kind of other groups as well. And now I'm taking my class on a one week trip to England - for many of them it's their first time abroad. I wonder how they'll take it. :)

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2006

Auburn teach- My symapthy on the loss of your pet. I know it is difficult, but you did what was best for her.

34. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

Clothes to wear? I have that too but I also have what shoes to wear :( For some reason, all the shoes that I used to wear last year, now hurt my feet. The sides of my feet by my pinkey toes hurt, and somehow, the bottom of my second toe hurts when it touches the ground.

I wish I could find some comfortable yet stylish looking shoes. My mary janes obviously aren't comfortable. I'd like something I can wear to school, yet go to dinner in too. With padding, that sounds good rofl

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2006

Blueskies, that sounds like an absolute blast! How many students do you have?

36. blueskies

blueskies Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Upsadaisy, there are thirty kids in each class. If they are "yours" for such a long time, you get to know them and their family background really well. And our school has a system of two class teachers for each class, so together we cover a lot of their subjects. Most of the time it's a great system, but when you get a disruptive or aggressive kid six years can be a looong time. :)

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

It's funny: During yesterday's 5 hour drive home from vacation, I found myself totally into back-to-school mode.

I've got to dig through all the stuff in my closet... it's been 6 years since I needed a professional wardrobe, so the dress clothes aren't exactly up front :), do the same with my jewelry box and shoes and a million other things, find SOMEONE who has the kids supply lists. [For those of you who have been following the saga, our school is the only one in the distric that still hasn't released the supply lists for the kids. I really don't see me having much time Labor Day weekend to wait on line at Target for notebooks. The lists are out-- a friend emailed me the 3rd grade list while I was away-- but I have to find someone who has the 1st grade list.]

I also want to do some serious food shopping-- stock the fridge with quick and easy stuff.

Oh, yeah, I also want to spend our last week off playing in the pool with my kids. All the other stuff can happen after they're in bed.

38. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

Now that I've finally made my official procedures for my classes and written the lesson plans I can live with, I've started the wardrobe issue. I too feel that if I can't pull an outfit together for one day, how am I going to find five outfits a week I can be comfortable in?

I have begun walking since the ridiculous heatwave is over. Maybe I can drop 5 or 10 lbs over some time. I'm the kind who feels better with even 5 lbs gone even though no one sees it, my clothes feel better. I have so many clothes but my problem is I carry my weight in my chest and waist so clothes that fit my legs are too tight on my stomach!!!!

Do the kids even care? No!!! LOL

I have vowed to never purchase a pair of dry clean only pants again or any pants that need ironing!!!! I found wonderful wash and wear pants in tan and black that I'm sure will be my sanity for a while.

As for shoes, I have really big, flat feet...size 13W ....so I have a real hard time finding them. I wish I could find two pairs of soft, slip ons with arch support but believe it or not, most size 13W shoes for women are open-toe with no support. WHY??????

I am soooo ready to go back...mostly because I am sooooo broke and I can't wait to start having the money again plus I love to teach!!!

39. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2006

Hi Alice,

How was that vacation? :D

40. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

Hi all, I'm back!! I had a great vacation, and the wedding was great...although I'm glad it's over (the wedding, not the vacation!!) I got some really cool things-a Nipon suit from Lord and Taylor, originally for $300, for $51.99 or some other outrageous amount like that!! I also used crayola $4 discount coupons to get things for free-a set of erasable markers, and another new type of markers. I hope they work as well!! I'm still looking for a job...now that the wedding's over I can really look! I did get a substituting job in a day camp for one day this week-school's not starting just yet!