Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 20, 2006

Think of this thread as your online journal, except even better because you can get feedback. Talk about anything that's on your mind, including venting about any subject.

Whether you're working or not, I hope everyone's enjoying their summer! I really want to get a teaching job pronto, so I can start saving up for my own home. I still live w/ parents & I want to make a change.

3. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Golf and Laziness

I have two things on my mind right now....first, why must my fiance golf nine more holes after he has already golfed 18 for the day?? Thursdays are always horrible for me because I am tired and burnt out and I just want to see him, but he is always on the course!!! The second thought is that since I am sitting home alone anyway, bummed that he isn't here, I should be getting stuff made and ready for my first teaching job coming up soon, but I lack motivation most nights. Is that a bad sign!?!? I am really excited about teaching 2nd grade, and I have a lot of great ideas, but I never do anything about it! Am I setting myself up for failure? Wow, I feel better already!

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

House for Sale!

I am exhausted! :tired: The "For Sale" sign went in the front yard on Wednesday. I have been scrubbing, dusting, vacuuming, re-arranging furniture, etc. This last weekend was the annual neighborhood garage sale -- and I got rid of a bunch of stuff. Hubby has been working on the yard and the bushes around the house. Everything looks great!

Somebody - buy my house!

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2006

I just got hired in the beginning of July and I won't get a paycheck until September. I had hoped that I could sign my contract and get things rolling earlier, but the district office was closed for a bit. I have to get transcripts and verification of former employment. I never knew that I had to keep the copies of my earned clock hours, so I don't know if I can find them all.:eek:

I was hoping to use the money from the sale of a car to build a fence so my puppy doesn't escape, but now we have to live on that money. The fence will have to wait:(

On the plus side----I went to a dance workout class last night and did push ups and sit ups and sweated like a pig and today I went to the gym!!!!! I have so much clothes in my closet and I can't wear any of it!!! I have sizes 8-14 and now the 14's are too tight!!!!!:eek:

6. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Jul 21, 2006

My husband and I are going to a session together at a Psychologist on Thursday. Our marriage isn't what it's supposed to be. I have serious lack of drive for intimacy and it's gotten so bad that he asked me the other night whether I was becoming gay. I was shattered.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2006

I have been very sad over the past few weeks. Since last July, I have lost 9 people in my life. My grandmother's birthday is approaching next week. She would have been 85. I have just been overwhelmed lately with all these memories.
    I know that people don't live forever, that's the rational part of my head speaking, but sometimes, I just want to cry for no apparent reason. Thank goodness, I have such a wonderful husband. He is truly a blessing.

P.S. Thinking about my lack of interviews is not really helping either, but I'm used to that.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

There's a LOT to be said for crying... I'm one of those who really know the value of "a good cry."

Is there any way you can get away for a weekend or so? Even a quick trip to Mystic Seaport or Atlantic City might snap you out of your funk.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2006

Alice, we were thinking of doing a small weekend trip, but my hubby is switching his hours and things are up in the air at this point. My freinds and I are going to take all of their kids to Splish Splash next Friday if the weather is nice.

Thanks for your suggestion.:love:

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2006

I wish all of you well who are going through a tough time right now. I agree that it's beneficial to go somewhere different rather to help yourself feel better. Today was incredibly hot & I can tell it was for many others by looking at a couple of other threads on this board.

A great beverage to help cool off is the Matcha Green Tea Blast from Jamba Juice. Starbucks has a similar drink called the Green Tea Frappucino. I think the one from Jamba Juice is better.

11. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

I've been so stressed lately that I have no desire to do anything... I just sit around and watch TV or go online all day. It's very boring but I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything. I just learned, about a month ago, that my seemingly perfectly married parents are actually seperated and I blame my Mom. I can't even talk to her anymore, it's like I don't know who she is. She is messing up the best thing ever!!! (Note- this is my step-dad, she's already divorced my Dad) My stepdad is like the best man ever. ARGH.
    On a plus side, I plan on going to my room on Monday to grab some things and see if it's been cleaned, and I'm hoping that getting my head back (somewhat, it is only July!) in school mode will help me feel better.

Thanks for the vent!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2006

Ms. I,

I love the Green Tea Frap w/ Blackberry!

13. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 22, 2006

My first born is turning TEN today. He is three inches shorter then myself but he is still my baby boy. He outweighs me by 8 pounds. I can no longer hold him down to tickle attack him- he is able to throw me off. He is growing up. Makes me want to smile, and cry at the same time....

14. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 22, 2006

My baby will be 10 next March and it's already killing me!! He is not the sweet little boy who used to climb up into my lap all the time.

15. terptoteacher

Jul 22, 2006

My oldest baby will be taking her driver's test next week.

'nough said:( :( :( :( :(

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2006

I win - my oldest is leaving for college 3 weeks from tomorrow.

17. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 22, 2006

I'm certainly not where most of you are, but I have an age problem... I just graduated college and all my friends still want to be at parties where there is underage drinking. I like to go out and have a drink of course, but I'm not comfortable with the whole underage thing especially now that I'm a teacher and have some sort of responsibility to the community and could get in major trouble... I need teacher friends! (Hopefully once school starts!)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 22, 2006

MissFrizzle, yes, the green tea frap w/ blackberry is pretty good too!

kinderteach3, why don't you give yourself a day of pampering! Go to the beauty salon & get a manicure, pedicure, & new haristyle. Or, how about going shopping & buying a great pair of shoes & some nice jewelry.

ms.jansen, I'm not hired yet, but I hope to make at least a couple good friends on the job as well!

I want to get this Nico (not a typo) Patchwork bag from Lucky Brand Jeans:

[​IMG]

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2006

Ms. Jansen,

This happens all the time, when friends grow apart. Don't worry you will make friends with different interests once your new job begins!!! For now you have all of us at A to Z...:D :cool:

Ms. I- happy shopping!!!!:cool:

20. kinderteach3

kinderteach3 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Ms. I,
    It seems like you've read my mind! As I was sitting around this weekend, I made a decision that I'm going to take myself out on Monday. We're going to Barnes and Noble for some new books, professional and FUN, we're going to Gap and Old Navy for some sales, and I'm going to make an appt. for my hair, I think some new highlights should do it! :)

Ms. Jansen-
    That was me (well, still is sort of), last year. Most of my friends are in 9-5 jobs, they are single, they live at home, and they LOVE to go out and party every single weekend. As you will figure out, teaching is no where near a 9-5, I'm not single, I live with my DBF, and I have bills! I am "over" going out to the clubs every weekend, and it was hard for some of them to understand that. My true friends do understand, these are the friends I still have. Everyone "grows up" at a different pace, some never do. Just be true to yourself and you will be much happier! And if you'd rather go to Barnes and Noble and get Starbucks and read then give me a call! :)

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2006

My day camp job started the summer with 6 counselors, now we are pretty much down to 3.
    I get to have about 2/3 of the kids on my own, because the other two counselors can't handle the younger kids. So I get ALL the 6,7,8, and 9 year olds. 20+ kids, by myself, and a 15 passenger van.
    One of the kids in our program was being adopted by his grandparents, they've been going thru the process for about a year and a half, he finally gets placed with them and they change their minds.
    Another little boy is constantly touching all the other boys in VERY innapropriate ways.
    I loved my job at the beginning of summer, but we are so shorthanded now that it's really stressing me out. Only two more weeks, and hopefully next summer they'll actually hire people who have worked with kids before!

22. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 23, 2006

Hi all! I'm FED UP! My brother's getting married in the middle of August, and we've been having family evenings addressing invitations...GGRRR! Especially when they come back...And, none of my relatives have both both short names and normal addresses...my father's cousin, who's probably in her 80's now, hasn't been heard from in around 10 to 15 years, and definately hasn't come anywhere NEAR NY in ages, HAS to be invited...after all, she'll be insulted if not. Of course, we have the wrong address for her...My parents are VERY family oriented...they just went to my SIXTH cousin's (quite literally...) engagement party, because, how can we not? So basically, we've sent out over 400 invitations so far, and we still didn't locate all the addresses we need...not to mention that when the reply cards don't come (I wonder why?) we have to call all these people and ask if they plan on coming so we can give the caterer an exact number of couples...then we have to figure out who to seat where. So where do you put my sister in law's grandmother's aunts...ok, I won't exagerate. But where do you put my sister in law's parents and grandparents? Not the new sister in law, mind you-these are another brother's in laws. OK, enough bellyaching from me...

23. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Thanks, MissFrizzle and kinderteach3. I'm sure it will get better in the fall, when I get busier too!

Danny'sNanny - I thought summer was supposed to be LESS stressful for teachers! The kids there are lucky to have you - even if there are too many of them for everything to be at its best. Hopefully you will have a week or two off between jobs to recoop!

24. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 23, 2006

I spent all last week with my sister and 5-month old nephew.:love: He is soooo adorable, and it truly was a joy. His little smile and laugh just lights up my heart, which I really need. My sister kept praising and thanking me for all her help (her hubby was away all week on a youth-missions trip) and I told my sister being w/her and the baby was just as much, if not more of a much needed blessing for myself. I did, gratefully get a job for the fall, but the subbing has almost come to a complete halt. I'm struggling to pay my bills and the like, and it's been really hard. I also desperately need a new set of wheels, since my current car is truly on it's last leg. (and try NO A/C during this heat-wave)UGH! Can't wait for September! ;) Anyhow, I thank God for this blessing of getting to hang w/sis and my precious nephew........ which is a reminder that it is always more joyful to give than receive. I know I'll get through August somehow. $
    Happy summer to everyone.:)

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2006

Missy.............I WIN!!!!!!! My daughter is in college and turned 20 this summer ! She is in her first SERIOUS relationship.........good thing I like this boy!:crosseyed

26. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006

I wish I didn't have Jeannie's education all on my shoulders. Whether I h.s. her or enroll her in the Christian school I was looking at, it's all my decision.

The way I remember it, it 'took two to tango'. I wish my husband would participate in her education instead of behaving like a visitor.

27. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 23, 2006

I think that I win!
    My son is 20 and 1/2 years old and finished his second year of college at the Univ of Cincinnati. He moved into his first apartment in June. Since March, he has been working his first co-op job.
    He hasn't been home since Easter! :(

28. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2006

Glenda and kinderkids,
    You will have to help me survive this year! Of course I am so proud of her and happy that she is excited to go to college (and study secondary education!), but she is MY baby. What really isn't helping is that my younger daughter will be a senior this year (what were we thinking?), so she will be off in just a year. This summer has been a blur of getting one ready to leave for college, and doing college visits with the other. (Don't tell, but we will be going to THAT school up north for a tour soon.)

29. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 23, 2006

This year shouldn't be too bad for you. You have just gone through your older daughter's senior year of high school. That is such a busy time! Now you will be busy with daughter #2's senior year.

Tell me when you go up north. I'll stand at I-75 and wave to you! :)

30. terptoteacher

Jul 23, 2006

Am I being petty???

Here's the deal. We live in a large house with a mother-in-law apartment where my mother, father and aunt in law live. They have their own kitchen, bath, familyroom, garage and laundry and front door. We pay the mortgage, heat, garbage, cable and property tax. The only thing they have to pay for is their own phone bill and food.

I didn't get hired last year and had to sub. I was a bit depressed and didn't get started until Jan. My parents gave us a couple thousand dollars to help us get by.

I just got hired, but won't get a check until Sept.
    We ran out of puppy food and asked my father in law to pick some up for us since we were at a funeral. My mother in law is nagging at us to pay them back the 37$ for the dog food.
    She also bought our oldest a really pretty prom dress for about 120$ and is nagging at us to pay her back for that too.

Am I being petty to think that SHE is being petty??????

31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2006

Thought this bag looked cute so I looked it up - sticker shock for me! Hope you can get it.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2006

Here's one for you. My husband and I took a trip on Greyhound and were heading home after a wonderful weekend with our son. As we were sitting on the bus, my husband reached for my hand and I thought he was going to hold my hand(although that is something we don't do.) I thought how sweet. He took my hand a sneezed in it!!!!!!!!! Now what do you think I did? What would you do?!

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2006

I'd clobber my husband if he did that and add some choice words! ICK!!!!!!!!!!

34. terptoteacher

Jul 23, 2006

One question....why??????

Why would anyone sneeze into someone else's hand/??????

35. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2006

Kinder, yes he got clobbered(discreetly)
    terptoteacher, that is a good question. I believe he thought he was funny. I am still so mad and befuddled I can't even talk to him. It ruined my otherwise pleasant weekend.

36. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2006

OH NO!

Guess she couldn't wait for my son her whole life!!! He has a new one now...still can't get over the love of his life though.:(

37. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 24, 2006

Is anyone still awake?

I have to pick my husband up from the airport at 1am....He just called, and his flight is DELAYED!!!!

So my biggest problem right now is staying awake....hum. Want sleep....

38. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2006

Tell him to take a cab! If it is a business trip he should be reimbursed. My husband travels a lot for work and I learned really fast not to be responsible for his transportation.

39. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

Miss Frizzle - How are you doing? I lost an aunt and a student I was very close to two years ago. It's a lot better now, but I would cry at the oddest times, like in the middle of church (very embarrassing!). It just takes time and you have lost a lot of people! You need to pamper yourself! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Kinderteacher- I have a hard time with down time too. I don't relax well. I have to force myself to do stuff, but feel better if I do. You also have the stress of your parents' separation. I found out, years ago, that I've got a chemical imbalance that causes depression. I take medication, but I still tend to feel apathetic and "worn out" if I'm stressed or not keeping busy. Maybe you should talk to your doctor.

40. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2006

I went in to work on my room today and came home overwhelmed with how much there is to do. I did not do a good job cleaning up at the end of last year due to family commitments,etc. On a positive note, my Smartboard has been installed!

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2006

Missy, when do you start school? I don't HAVE to be back in the classroom until AUg 29th..........but I will probably show up a couple times before that.