Random Summertime Thoughts

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2010

~~~~~ Now that school's out, let's say whatever's on our minds! ~~~~~

I'm taking 2 online classes & I have my 2nd test next Tues. This is a lot of detailed material. I'll put it this way, I have an MA in Education & this is appearing to be the most difficult class I've ever taken in my life! It's physiology/anatomy of hearing.

Tomorrow shold be a fun day. I'm spending a shopping day w/ a friend, then that night, we're attending an SLPA info mtg.

I wish I was going on a week-long vacation to Hawaii!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2010

Well, I still have 2 weeks before school ends... 4 teaching then 6 exam days.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 1, 2010

I'm still working till the 15th. At least the weather's nice so I can walk or go swimming after work!

5. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 1, 2010

Is it a Speech therapist info meeting? If so, where is the SELPA meeting? I need to find more info to determine if it's something I want to pursue.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 1, 2010

MissSkippyjonJones, SLPA stands for speech-language pathology assistant (& SLP stands for speech-language pathology or pathologist depending on how used in a sentence). My ultimate goal is to be an SLP, but there's SLPA programs out there offered by various universities that you can try doing in the meantime.

You can probably go to the ASHA website to find all the colleges that offer this program:

http://asha.org/

The one I'm going to is in Northridge at CSU Northridge.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 11, 2010

I last subbed on May 13th & then school was out May25th. My last payday was 2 days ago. It's a bummer having to watch what you spend in the summer! But hopefully, this past yr will be the LAST yr I substitute!

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

My sub assignments are done for the year. I was working for the US Census Bureau part-time recently, may have opportunities for further work from them in the summer.

Just got back from an Alaska cruise - that was great!

Will go overseas to visit my in-laws for a couple of weeks in July.

Don't know about August - I may be prepping for ST this fall, or maybe, just maybe, take a class towards a multiple subject cert - I was subbing at the elementary school level and rather enjoyed it.

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 11, 2010

Today was my last day subbing in one district. I attended the staff luncheon at a teacher's house. I still have next week in another school district.

I'll be studying to take to the RICA exam this summer.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2010

JackTrader, nice! I want to go on an Alaskan cruise someday. I heard they're beautiful.

sunshine*inc, good luck. I took the RICA yrs ago. I passed the 1st time. It wasn't bad.

11. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Thanks. I know a few people who did not pass the first time. They just changed the test and the way it's weighed for 2009-2010. Usually they don't change them to make them easier.

12. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jun 13, 2010

Yes, it sure was. We flew up to Seattle to board the ship. They typically sail on either Saturday/Sunday and return the following weekend.

If you're a fan of glaciers, it's great. And if you have kids, the ship often has children's programs that will keep them occupied. My daughter loved the kid's club programs on board.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 13, 2010

Wed., I'm driving to this speech & language facility where I'll hopefully be hired as an SLPA. So far, they need someone to fill in for someone who'll be out on maternity leave. That's good so far. It will give me a chance to see how I like the place to know if I really want to try to get a permanent position there because the drive is supposed to be 45 min - an hr 1-way depending on traffic.

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 13, 2010

That sounds like a great way to get your foot in the door, Ms. I.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2010

Good luck, Ms. I!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2010

Thanks a lot sunshine*inc & Kangaroo22! It pretty much sounded like I'll get the job, but I'm not getting too excited just yet.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 30, 2010

Well, I went to my summer class Monday night and tonight. It's not bad but it's a MATH class and MATH and I have never gotten along very well. My other class is an online class and I have between Friday and Sunday to take the test online. Tomorrow I have a 3 hour workshop to go to. My 2 week vacation before summer school does NOT seem like a vacation at all! :(

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

I started working in my classroom yesterday and I will go for a while today. I have two friends coming to help me today.

19. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 1, 2010

This job search stress is causing me to have shortness of breath and chest pains again. This time I know not to go to the ER again and end up with a huge medical bill. Which causes more stress!

Certain things help me heal, relax, and stay sane, and photography is one. So I need to go to the club meeting tonight where a successful international photographer will talk about Glamor photography.

Plus my favorite holiday is coming up---4th of July! We hope to take the kiddos to see the fireworks, at a battleship no less, and this will be my first chance attempting to photograph fireworks. I need to read the tips first...should be fun.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2010

For the past about 9 summers, I've always had to watch my spending due to not working/getting paid in the summers. I'll be glad when I finally don't have to sub anymore & I have a permanent job where I'm getting paid yr-round! Then, I can shop, shop, shop in the summers for a change!

webmistress, oh no, tk care of yourself! No job (or searching for one) is worth that because w/o our health, we can't do anything. :)

21. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 3, 2010

So true Ms I! I've been a lot more relaxed thankfully. :)

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 4, 2010

Great!