Raise your hand if...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Feb 10, 2011.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2011

You are exausted at the end of the day after being on your feet walking around a classroom all day? I really don't know how people have the energy to get anything productive done once they get home from teaching.

3. holliday

holliday Comrade

Feb 10, 2011

My student teacher complains about how tired she is at the end of the day and how she just goes home and puts her feet up so she can recover. I smile, thinking, "wait till there are little ones of your own waiting for you...you think you're exhausted now?!"

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2011

One of the reasons why I have said the whole time I have been teaching that I would think it be better to have kids when I am no longer teaching. I am so with that student teacher, I go home, kick my feet up, watch tv, occasionally have a drink, and hope I have enough energy for the next day.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

I don't do anything after work either. Getting groceries or cleaning during the week is just out of the question. Seriously.

Oh, and I don't have children and I wouldn't consider having children while teaching. Personal opinion is that it's simply better that way...

6. holliday

holliday Comrade

Feb 10, 2011

I have a one year old and a three year old (I can't wait till I retire to have kids - I'll be a *bit* passed my prime by then!) and I take a night class clear across town. I am pretty much ALWAYS tired...but it definitely makes me appreciate the rare moments of down time I do get.
    Sigh...when I think back to all the squandered free time of my youth...lol!

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2011

I don't plan on waiting until I am "retired" to have kids, just until I am not teaching anymore would be nice. When I leave the school I usually have no desire to be around kids. I want to be able to enjoy kids when I have them.

I am taking classes as well, more to add to the exaustion. Squandered time of youth? My favorite moments are those where I can just do nothing. Gotta love it.

8. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Feb 10, 2011

Thank you for posting this.. Sometimes I feel guilty not doing laundry or housework when I get home. It's a struggle just to get dinner on the table. This post makes me feel like a normal teacher! :)

I'm going to start working on my masters next month and I'm a little worried..It's only one night a week and hubby said he would support me, so I'm hoping it all works out. :unsure:

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

MrsC would raise her hand if she wasn't so tired.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

I like times of nothingness! People baffle me when they can't appreciate times of relaxation because they feel bored and need to be going, going, going...I just want to tell them to chill out, lay back, and enjoy some peace and quiet. This time I'm squandering during my "youth" is time well squandered. :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

I tutor two or three hours ever day after school. Today it was 3 hours of tutoring and the went to a board meeting and a quick swing thru the grocery store...it's 930...just emptied the dishwasher, checking email, and will take a shower soon. I'll be up til about 11.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 10, 2011

I usually get home around 4:30 and take a nap until my husband gets homes around 5:30.

I then have enough energy to get some stuff done in the evening.

A few years ago I was terribly exhausted. I learned I had high blood pressure. Once I got that regulated, I felt much better. But, I still like my nap! :)

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 10, 2011

yep! I don't get home until 5 or so after picking up my 2 yr old whom I raise on my own. I have no "me" time until nearly 9.
    And outsiders need to close their mouths when they say we should "feel lucky" how we have a break at christmas, thanksgiving, spring and a long summer. Probably because we deserve it!!!!

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2011

Most days I'm fine. Some days I'm too tired to move. Fortunately, most of the time I still have energy when I get home. Not bad for an old person who's been at this for 18 years, huh? ;)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

See, that is pretty much a description of a miserable day if you ask me! No thank you. :lol:

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

Not miserable at all. I made some great money, made a difference in the academic success of the kids in my classroom and the ones I tutor, kept informed of issues and actions of my board of Ed. Had dinner with a colleague before the board meeting and spent some time with my son tonight when I got home. Pretty productive day...just put on my pjs...still not 'exhausted'.

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2011

I don't mind doing things and being productive. Just not productive that wears me out. I agree that that sounds like a miserable day. But there are some people who just like being extra productive. Me, I don't need that. I'm usually exausted by the time the bell rings, and just spent. I can tell the days where I did not sit down as often and just stayed on my feet. Gotta make sure to remember to sit down by the kids instead of walking around soo much.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

Oh, I don't doubt you enjoy it czacza. You keep on keeping on and I'll support you from my couch. :)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the back up....
    Truthfully,what we do as educators energizes me!

20. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Feb 10, 2011

I'm also exhausted when I get home. Just this Monday my feet were hurting so bad that I almost cried of the pain. I don't sit down at all. I don't have much energy left when I get home.

21. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2011

Hint #1 - DON'T SIT DOWN WHEN YOU GET HOME!!! If I sit down, I don't get anything done unless I really am desperate.

Hint #2 - WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES - no exceptions even if they are cute.

Hint#2 - Make sure you are eating well and not skipping meals.

I work one teaching job from 8-1 and another one from 130-6 and tonight I was at a wrestling dual until 9 and one night a week I either teach a class or attend a class so that is a definite issue for me. I really try to pre-plan meals and get a lot done on the weekend.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2011

Raises hand.

These past two years haven't been nearly as bad since I started working part time. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE working part time (too bad the pay is so lousy). Right now, I'm also teaching an after school class so I'm at work until 5 pm now. So, lately, I have been coming home exhausted. I also have class at the university and going to the gym that I have to do.

AND, throw in a move to another town, bridesmaid duties to an upcoming wedding, CSET to study for, chores, and other junk that I've been having to deal with. I HATE having so much to do.

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 11, 2011

I overworked and would leave my class at 6pm (after being kicked out the building or having my husband beg me to come home), then I'd get home and work straight until 11pm, rarely eating, going on pure adrenaline. Wake up at 4 or 5am to work some more. Obviously not healthy and I can't say I trust myself to go back into the classroom because I don't know how to balance & do everything that needs to be done.

Regardless, I would of course do it all completely different next time, but I still 2nd the statements about coming home to lots of children and how teaching affects your view on having children.

One child is awesome enough for my husband and me. She is/will be our everything and more. So many people keep telling us to have more than one child and they are surprised that we plan to stop at one.

Well, mentally, emotionally, age-wise, & financially one child is all I know I can handle. After working with other people's children and "managing behaviors" every minute of the day sometimes, I could not imagine coming home and having to battle sibling rivalry, arguments, who took the pillow from whom, who hit whom 1st, etc.

I have 4 nieces and a nephew and we do everything together as a family, but all parents will be around to pitch in. They are my heart, but I couldn't imagine day in and day at home having to deal with the things that happen when 2 or more kids present.
    It can be a riot, lol.

That is totally a result of teaching, especially in very rough inner-city schools, it has changed me in regards to how many kids I want at home for the next 20 years.

24. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Feb 11, 2011

Raises hand. This is the big reason I don't bring work home except for tests.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2011

Raising my hand! Especially this time of year. I think I have SAD. The house is a mess but I really can't bring myself to do anything but come home and couch it.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 11, 2011

Ditto. Sometimes i will look at the clock and am shocked to find out it's only 7:30 when it feels like 9:30. I feel like going to bed but I force myself to stay up later and get some things done around the house.

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 11, 2011

That's a big part of the reason my husband and I don't have kids. I wake up at 4 every morning to work out, eat breakfast, shower, and get ready for work so I can be out of the bathroom before my husband wakes up. Then we go to work, then have drama practice until 6 after school each day. We get home by 6:30, eat dinner, feed the dogs, I do some grading or planning, maybe do a load of laundry or dishes or mop something if the dogs have made a mess, and then it's bed time in order to get a reasonable amount of sleep (I try to do 6 hours a night...) I don't have time or energy for anything else, and I just can't see where a kid would fit into that. I barely have enough energy to take care of myself! I have so much respect for the men and women who are able to be good teachers and good parents. I just couldn't do it. (It may be easier if my husband weren't also a teacher...)

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 11, 2011

I work till 5:30 at least 4 days during the week. While my "official" time at school doesn't begin until 12:10pm (I'm only part-time), I am usually there by at least 10:00am. If I have my boys, then I am at MY school by 8:00am after driving 40 miles round trip and dropping them off at their school by 7:30am. Then, of course, there are the weekend shifts at the hotel.

Exhausted? Yeah, I feel that way sometimes. Last night was a good example.

When the boys are with their mother, I talk to them every night by phone. This is usually a 45-60 minute conversation, especially when my youngest gets on a roll. So I got home at 6:00pm, talked with the boys for about 45 minutes, ate some pizza for supper, then decided to lay down for a "quick rest".......didn't wake up until 2 1/2 hours later!

I get frustrated with myself because I want to exercise regularly and I usually have several things that I need to do around the house, but I am just TOO TIRED when I first get home. I have to have some "down time" first. After that, I usually feel a little more energized.

Working at the hotel is a bit of a love/hate relationship. I like the extra money, but we are not supposed to sit at all during the 8 hour shift. The work isn't difficult by any means, but my feet are usually throbbing when I get home. On the weekends when I work two shifts, I am really wiped out by the end of that 2nd shift. I DO wear comfortable shoes (the Dr. Scholl's version of Shape-Ups) and that helps some. It also helps that things are very slow right now, so I can take some time to sit down and rest once I get caught up on the various tasks I need to do.

29. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 11, 2011

I'm older so I have take care that I listen to my body. I am up early and go to bed early. I come home and head to the gym. I swim 1/2 hour and then 15 minutes in the hot tub. My children are grown and I only have 1 at home. We share household chores and do fun things together. I leave when my contract time is up so I do work from home. I am not exhausted until Friday. Saturday is my day to reenergize. Sunday is cooking for the coming week, planning for the coming week, grocery shopping, visiting shut-ins, and church. Monday I am ready to go.

30. CandorWit

CandorWit Rookie

Feb 11, 2011

I work full time, I'm a graduate student and I have two kids under 4, one who still wakes at night. I find that I have learned to live without sleep and as long as I plan ahead, I can handle whatever the day throws at me. I find I am much happier now that I don't think about or worry about "me" time. I'm always with me, my kids, my job, my life is "me" time. It's just not relaxing "down" time. I try to schedule at least one movie (on TV) or TiVo's show with the hubby once a week. I'm up past midnight doing my own homework and I'm up by 5:30 AM.
    It use to be hard, and I use to be exhausted, but I think I've built up this endurance for this busy lifestyle over the past few years, like a marathon runner.

31. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 11, 2011

I want to add that we need to give ourselves and each other a LOT of credit. I know most of us have replied speaking of physical exhaustion but teaching is also MENTALLY exhausting as well! Think about how long we talk and manage children as well as the number of children each day. THAT'S exhausting! (Something others don't truly understand either) WE DESERVE A VACATION! lol lots of vacation.... ; )

32. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Feb 11, 2011

It depends on the day-some days I do a lot and others not so much..when the weather was nicer, I was motivated to do a lot more..now that's it's winter, not really...

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 11, 2011

I think motivation is the key. Winter just makes me feel blah. As soon as Spring hits I will be taking my dog for LONG walks, doing more around the house and will be happier in general. It happens every year and I guess i'm used it now.

34. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Feb 11, 2011

I'm a first-year teacher and I'm exhausted pretty much all the time. I have a 3-year old at home, so actual quiet, relaxing time is rare. I usually make it home with him at 4pm and then I do what others have mentioned - don't sit down!! I do the dishes from the night before and do a load of laundry while I pick up toys and things around the house. Sometimes I will sneak in a nap from 4:30 until my husband gets home at 5pm while my son has a snack and watches cartoons. Then it's up and around for dinner, baths, and getting ready for the next school day. I cherish the weekends, but even those are usually busy.

35. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 11, 2011

Agreed! I am more mentally exhausted than physically. I rarely talk on the phone anymore because I don't want to talk after 4:00pm. I am snoring in my recliner at 9:00, and that includes the weekend! However, I am blessed that I do what I love, and I treasure every moment I have at home!

36. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2011

Glad I'm not alone!

And I think whoever mentioned the mental exhaustion is totally right on...

37. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2011

I'm exhausted........ from spending all of yesterday on the slopes at Vail... and then participating in the Vail night life.......:D:D

Hope you "real" teachers get a good spring break......

Major......:hugs:

38. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 11, 2011

I'm almost 26, this is my 3rd year teaching, and you should see the wrinkles under my eyes! I'm exhausted after a day of teaching--- I sometimes teach up to 5 different classes in a day--- and I just want to lay down and sleep when I get home. Instead I find ways to get grading, lesson planning, answer e-mails, update school sites, and exercise (oh and if I'm lucky I get to eat dinner).

Dear God, I can't imagine if I had a child at home waiting for me. I'm getting married this summer and then I'll have to really decide what I'm going to do since FH and I do want kids.

39. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 11, 2011

Me too! I really, REALLY need Spring to come along. :love:

40. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 11, 2011

This thread is amazing. It makes me feel better about myself. I come home exhausted every single day. I can nap for about 2 hours. I seriously cannot do anything until I sleep. I envy those of you who can keep on going. I cannot. So I don't.

41. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Feb 11, 2011

I agree with the mental exaustion as well. As for the finding time and energy to get those extra things done after work (especially the work related ones), sorry no. I only do what I have energy to do. If I don't get it done, it gets pushed back to the next day. Which does tend to happen day after day until it HAS to be done.
    I don't do the naps though, I prefer to stay awake and just hang out watching tv...as I am doing now.