Radio in the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Irissa, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 21, 2007

My co-teacher likes to play a country radio station during the time our kids are in class. I hate it! First I'm not a big country fan but even worse I feel like you just don't know what kind of language or music is going to show up. I have a bunch of classical and instrumental music I would rather play but she says that is boring.

Am I just being a fuddy-dud?

3. Mrs. Mtz

Mrs. Mtz New Member

Jul 21, 2007

What do the kids say? Personally it would drive me crazy!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I see your concern. I love Carrie Underwood and I even like her new song "Before He Cheats." But if this song came on, I don't think it wouldbe appropriate for students to hear about how she can handle whisky but the new girl has to order fruity drinks. Also, it doesn't really set a good example that Carrie bashes in the car windows and carves her name into his leather seats.
    Like I said, I love the song, but probably wouldn't let my students listen to it in class.

5. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 21, 2007

I only play cd's. Classical, jazz, kids songs. I won't let my listen to the radio.

6. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I personally like country music, but I would never play anything off the radio. You just never know what you are going to hear on the radio. I only play cd's that I have previewed first.

7. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

I don't like country, but that's not the issue with me. I also would not play anything on the radio. I will play Disney kid CD's or other CD's for kids. If you want to bring this up with your co-teacher, you could probably just go with the appropriateness angle rather than the country music. Tell her that you don't want to get in trouble or something-maybe she'll understand. Good luck! You are not a fuddy dud!

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 22, 2007

If I had to listen to country music for more than five minutes I might become violent. . . .

A person who forces his/her tastes in music on another adult isn't a very nice person. And with the radio, you just never know what someone is going to say, be it the announcer, a commercial (which has no place in a classroom at all!) or a call-in, if it's one of those dreadful local talk-radio programs, which, if it's 'country,' it very well could be. . . .

Besides which, country lyrics are among the nastiest in the industry, all about drinking, smoking, adultery, bad grammar, and adults behaving childishly.

If I had to choose, and thankfully I don't have to choose, I'd pick "We were drinking all night" over "We wuz a-drinkin' all night," hands down.

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2007

I also team taught with a teacher all last year who would put on that old school soul music...you know the kind where they wail on and on!!??? AND on?? I've always HATED that music because my dad used to listen to it when I was a kid and well....let's just say I'm not crazy about the man.
    She didn'ty play it during the school day but during our prep periods or any other time we had moments with no students in the room, she would crank it up. ARGH!!!!!! The worst was the non-attendance day for students when we would have to be in our rooms all day working on records! At the end of the year, I finally had to put on my ipod so I could concentrate on getting my records closed out for the year in peace!! And I don't even like to listen to my ipod while working because I lose my concentration. Plus, we aren't supposed to have ipods in the buidling, but REALLY!!!!!

10. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Jul 22, 2007

Agree- instrumental is fine- classical promotes brain development...
    The radio just adds more "voices" in the room...do you really need MORE noise?

11. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

The only music I play in my classroom is instrumental music. I usually play it when students are working independently because it tends to focus them on the task at hand. There are times when I play Ron Clark's Essential Raps, which are educational rap songs (human body, Martin Luther King, Jr., solar system, etc.) that the students love. I'll be working with a group of students and all of a sudden the class will start rapping along with the lyrics while they're working. :)

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2007

The only station that we are allowed to play is the public radio station. It only plays classical music and sometimes light jazz. There were too many listening to country music. It sounded like a local bar when we walked in to work, just awful! I prefer CD's of flute, piano, etc. I have a few favorites of songs by James Taylor, The Beatles early music(Yellow Submarine,) music that is pleasing to the ears. Country music makes me sick to my stomach. I could not listen to that and would definitely be turning it off myself.

13. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I think this is definitely not a good idea!:confused:

Does your principal not have an opinion that she/he has voiced about this?

It would definitely be an issue due to language. Even though their parents may listen to it, which is fine, the classroom is not the place for it. I love country music, but I don't listen to it when the kids are in the room.

I play instrumental, but not always classical. I like to find instrumental versions of current songs. My kids always seem to work better if they can hum to the tune. We also listen to our regular cd's that have words-like Dr. Jean, Greg and Steve, Mr. Al, etc. It really helps the kids not talk to eachother and stay focused on their work during individual work time. It also helps to keep the noise level down during centers. If they can't hear the music, which is turned down low, then they aren't whispering and need to quieten down.:angel:

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 22, 2007

Just a quick thought- not all kids can work when music is playing. We talked about this in one of my classes this past week, and I know there is research that shows playing classical music can be beneficial, but it would drive me insane if I was in a class and music was playing. I am one of those people who cannot focus if there is background noise. If I am in a car with someone and the radio is on, I need to turn if off if we are talking. I cannot do homework with the t.v. playing. I sleep with a fan blowing to block out noise, and a pillow over my head!!I know I am probably the exception to the rule, but it's something to think about when choosing to play music in your classroom.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

I only play CDs--never the radio unless it's something like NPR or the one news station out of Finland where the read the news in Latin. (Can you believe that!)

I guess I do a sort of half and half thing: half of the time we listen to a CD and half the time we don't listen to anything. I've told my kids to let me know if the music makes it hard for them to concentrate, and so far no one has. I've noticed a huge improvement overall in the on-task behavior of my students once I started playing music during work time.

16. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I do the same as cassie753- play music some and then not at other times. The students that don't like to listen to the music let me know. I let them go sit on the back carpet to complete their activity, which is on the opposite side of the room. The music is turned down so low that they can't hear it much there. For the most part, my kids love it and it does help them keep on task.

17. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 22, 2007

In my opinion, no music should be played unless you both can agree on the type. She says that your classical music is boring, well tell her that you like her music.

I can't believe she does that! I'm sure some parents would have a problem with that.

18. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 22, 2007

OK well I'm glad I'm not over reacting. She tells me that I am just to fussy about things since I came back from maternity leave. (Shrugs) I haven't brought it up with the principal since I didn't want to get her in trouble. If I was the principal I would not want any teacher to play the radio on a station with words. Todays lyrics are not like they use to be. We couldn't go with NPR here as its all talkshows during the day. I wouldn't even mind if she would just play instrumental even if it was something I disliked. Well I'm counting on this being the last year we team teach. I am not sure how I am going to survive this year with her without killing her. One way or another I'll be back on my own next year whether its changing grades or schools or staying home with my son.

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

Oh, and for the record, I share Mamacita's feelings about country music. I hear that twanging and it seriously causes my brain and body to freak out. I think it actually makes me produce those "angry" chemicals!

20. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

I listened to country music for 3 years and there are MANY inappropriate words in them. I would veto the country music and go for relaxing classical.

TARGET has amazing classical/relaxing CDs in their stationary section. I bought two of them and play them while the kids are trickling in during the morning and working on their morning message/journaling. I teach at a Catholic school and replace the classical CD with holiday music as soon as Thanksgiving break is over.

I would definitely try to change the country music... There are SO many classical/relaxing themed CDs out there OR upbeat kids' music that you have so much to choose from!!

I really love my morning routine, what with the kids trickling in (They can walk in the classroom between 7:30 and 7:55 am) listening to chill music. It sets a nice tone. :love:

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

In addition to Target, Best Buy has some great Classical music CDs. They're usually located on the far end of the music section, and they're often under 6 or 7 dollars.

22. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

That is inexpensive! I'm heading to Best Buy!

23. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2007

I get my classical cd's at dollar tree. Can't beat a buck!

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 23, 2007

Personally I love country music and have, during free time, played a country song or two (at students' request) that I knew was a "clean" song. There's lots of clean, good country music out there. What I normally play, though, is classical, Celtic, Native American flute, and Disney CDs (trhey even have a Disney country). Any radio station could be dangerous in the classroom just because you don't know what's going to come on. Around here TV land plays kid friendly shows early in the morning and that's what we would watch before school (duty for 30 minutes before the bell). Well, one day, right in the middle of Leave it to Beaver, they played one of the male enhancement drug commercials. (You know, the Bob commercials!) I say, like the others, recorded music is your best option.

25. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2007

I don't think the fact that it's country music has anything to do with it. I think it's inappropriate to listen to the radio because like you said, you cannot censor what might be on. CD's/tapes/records are very different in that you can monitor much better what your kids are hearing and picking up.
    BTW- Kenny Chesney might change your mind about country (if you like gorgeous men! hehe :) )

26. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

27. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

I like to listen to country music during my prep periods. On occasion, I will forget to turn it off before my kiddos return. If so, I turn it off unless we are having a "work time". Often my students will ask to keep it on rather that the classical or relaxation CDs. I have a remote control for the radio so if there's a "questionable" song on, I will change it or turn it off. Oh, and usually, I am able to send those kids out of the room to work in our pod area who do not care for country. You'd be surprised at home FEW go out and by the end of the year all but one or two are in the room.

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 23, 2007

During summer school I have been playing the classical station because I packed up my CD's. It's been fine, but once I realized a commercial came on (I didn't think the station had them, as I was under the impression it was an NPR station or a University station, but was wrong) The kids started cracking up. They thought the commercial was really funny. I wasn't listening, so I hope it wasn't TOO bad! I can't imagine it was. Anyway, after that I went out and bought a CD, just in case.