Radiated lettuce??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dizzykates, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 25, 2008

Did anyone else hear that they are now radiating our lettuce in order to prevent E Coli? Is anyone else bothered by this? I understand that it is such a small amount that "nothing" will happen to us, but what about the compound effects? I also just learned our meat is radiated too. I am seriously considering biting the bullet and buying organic produce and meat. Even my husband looked grossed out by these facts.

What happened to high standards for people growing our food? Or washing your food? Or just knowing that occassionally food makes you sick? I am so glad we are having a big garden in my parent's yard next year!!

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

I heard it kills the e-coli bacterias. I wonder too what are the long term effects. I wash my fruit and vegetables well. I watched a few weeks ago on the news about a plant that is spotless. They take great care in processing their fruits and veggies for market. Also if you can buy kosher prepared foods you are very safe.

4. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2008

I think it is a great Idea
    I can't wait till I glow

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

BUY ORGANIC!!!!!!!

I have been eating organically for 17 years. The positives are endless. If you want more info, feel free to PM me. I buy all my produce in season from a good friend who is a certified organic farmer, and his regulations and practices are more stringent than anything conventional. Check out the website http://100milediet.org/ and the links on there to other sites like http://localharvest.org/

You will not be sorry.

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 25, 2008

Organic foods rock!

I swear to goodness Organic Milk tastes better! I love it! So does my little sister. She's mad that the school milk isn't organic. :D :lol:

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 25, 2008

Yup, organic is awesome. I only buy organic spinach (I prefer spinach over lettuce) and do my best with my other fruits and veggies to stick with organic. Spinach and apples are my main ones that I do organic as they retain high amounts of pesticides.

And my kids love the organic mac and cheese over Kraft. Personally I'm a big fan of the Kraft version, but I can't argue with two kids who ask for the organic mac and cheese.

8. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 25, 2008

My mother-in-law lives by organic eating. That is all she will buy that is all she will eat. She has been doing it since my husband was little...so since he was forced to eat that kind of food and not have a choice he totally rebelled against it when he was old enough to have a job and buy his own! Not sure if I could turn him back on to it, but I have to admit, some organic things we've tried are good! Plus there is this organic mexican food place we like to eat at, we always feel healthier when we eat at that one, haha.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2008

Why does organic costs so much?
    The other day I was buying grapes, the organic was almost twice as much as non-organic grapes. Just why is that, the grower is not spending money on insecticide or chemical fertilizer?

10. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 25, 2008

Irish,
    Because small organic farmers don't receive the kickbacks that conventional farmers do, for starters. It also is tied to demand. As more people choose organics over conventional, the cost will come down. If you find the right local source, you will catch a break. For example, my friend with the farm sells certified organic eggs for 2.00 a dozen. That is very cheap compared with the health food store. I also found a local dairy that I can buy a gallon of milk for 3.40, which is also very cheap; most chain stores sell organic milk for double that of conventional.

More and more major supermarkets are starting to carry organics and even have their own label, but you have to be careful. If it does not have the USDA Organic seal, it is not all organic.

I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you, but you can save an incredible amount of money on organics there. I shop there twice a month...that's about to change to weekly since my new job is around the corner. (That is either a blessing or a curse. Time will tell. :p)

If you are going to go organic, there are certain things you should definitely make a definite priority. They are:

Strawberries
    Imported grapes (all grapes, really)
    Potatoes and other root veggies
    Milk should be Bovine growth hormone and antibiotic free, and so should your meats and poultry.

Check out this link too: Organic.org
    Also, the USDA has some great information on choosing organics.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

They radiate our meat??? I haven't heard about this yet. :( I know I'll switch to organic lettuce now, but I might just stop eating meat all together. :p Meat is already expensive as it is. I certainly don't want to eat radiated food.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

Tell me about it Corps...Ugh.