Race to the Top

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Southernese, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

Round 2 of the federal "Race to the Top" is over, and the winners have been announced. I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the changes. Honestly, the only change I ever hear mentioned is merit pay, but there's got to be more to it than that.

What do y'all think?

3. kbee1219

kbee1219 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

I think that it is great for the states who won, however I believe that education is a right not a privilege so I don't like the fact of students being left out simply because of the state they live in and a bureaucratic process.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 25, 2010

I had my hopes up for Illinois and Ohio. I'm REALLY surprised Ohio won and Illinois didn't. I'm just waiting to see the repercussions of winning. It sounds great, but undoubtedly comes with "strings attached." But I'm always excited for education funding! :)

5. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2010

My state won but I was told my district opted out because of all the strings attached. I am guessing the wealthier counties with more district staff and grant writers will get the most of this
    handout. Sounds like more trickle down nonsense to me. Cynical? Maybe but I have seen them pitch money around before and helps if you get it and is managed correctly with NOT too many strings attached.

6. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

Well, one thing that changed around here is that our most recent contract now allows/requires schools which are not making AYP to lay off all of their teachers and make them all reapply for their jobs. They can only rehire 50% of those teachers. They can also replace the principal.

Needless to say, the hiring system's been a mess since May.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2010

I love that my home state was told specifically that we didn't get it because our of our union's lack of support.

Way to save teachers guys!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 27, 2010

Massachusetts got it and my school will be one that receives some of the funding. Our school applying last year wasn't a big deal for us because it's a charter school that already has merit pay, we're all only on one year contracts and can be let go at any time (no union), and we have historically had so much staff turnover every year that the possibility of only being able to rehire 50% didn't worry people too much. We'll see. I hope it turns out to be a positive thing for us.

9. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

And then there is my state, NJ - there is all sort of fallout due to the fact we didn't qualify because of a "clerical error", as our Gov. is calling it; he went so far today to fire our Comm. of Education. Our Union worked with his office to come up with a plan we all could live with; at the last minute, our Gov. said, no, went back to the plan HE wanted, and there is all kinds of fingerpointing going on right now, with a hearing to be scheduled to find out how we screwed up on getting some of the money. This is what happens when politics gets mixed in with education!

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 27, 2010

AZ didn't get it and at first I was bummed but then I realized and read that it had to do with test scores. I am against that. I also think AZ didn't get it because we went against the feds with 1070 heh

11. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2010

Georgia got it, but our district didn't want to be included, so we won't receive any money or have to follow any of the mandates that come with it.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

There are a lot of strings attached to that money, so if you were NOT one of the states selected, be thankful. There are a lot of union-busting measures the program wants to take; longer school day, longer school year, mandatory summer work, all without consent of the bargaining unit.

I'm thrilled that Pennsylvania lost out on this one!

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 28, 2010

Exactly. I'm amazed anyone in the trenches would want this type of burden. I'm so glad my state "lost" in the first round. But then my state rarely wins anything, but this was the best "loss" ever:cool:

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

That's horrible! My school didn't make AYP this year. We far exceeded the performance goals. What messed us up was the number of students of certain demographics that did not take the tests. We were short three black students and six SED students. Three of the six SED were the same black students.

They didn't take the tests because some had transferred to other schools after the deadline but before the test. One was expelled. I *think* one had a baby. Factors that the teachers and admin could not control. Again - we exceeded the performance goals.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 29, 2010

That's a relief because at first I was disappointed due to the fact that AZ has NO money for education. But knowing this.....I'd rather have us suffer a little while longer.

16. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 29, 2010

I also believe that the 'money for education' will be used to create more student assessments and teacher evaluation programs. I haven't come across anything that mentioned the money will be used to reduce class sizes, improve crumbling buildings, provide better school lunch, help prevent lay offs, provide more support staff or anything like that. Mostly it will be used for more extensive testing, tying people's job's into test scores, data collection...

17. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

PA was not accepted into RTTT this year though, so that move has to come from somewhere else.

18. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

I'm thankful Kentucky didn't get it. I am against merit pay. The 'suits' don't understand, or seem to understand that you are not going to get all students to rise one level each year. There are some circumstances way beyond our control-and the students control, that can inhibit their true learning. ...

19. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

Well, yes, it came from our district in an effort to align ourselves with the requirements for RTTT. So it's still a result of the RTTT campaign, it just happened before we got/didn't get the money.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

That happens in our district too, where the entire staff is let go and only 50% are rehired after re-interviewing for their jobs. Several schools did it at the end of last year because they failed to meet AYP for 7 years in a row. I actually thought it was a NCLB requirement, but I guess I'm not sure.

21. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

People never learn; there is no such thing as free money.

We spend and obligate ourselves to the most outrageous things because no one can handle the parent that says "no, we can't afford that," and they go to the parent that says "well, I guess we can, we'll just..."

People are upset they didn't get this money...

...and blinded by the green, they can't see how much it spits on them and kicks them in the back when they "win."

I hope we survive this and the next few waves of entitlement generations. Hopefully my fellow 20 somethings will bring back accountability and fiscal responsibility in our programs.