R-Controlled

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Apr 15, 2013.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 15, 2013

I need to know if words that end in silent-e can also be r-controlled.

Examples:
    Square, explore, ignore, ashore, adore

Also, can words with vowel pairs be r-controlled?

Examples:
    stair, chair, repair, flair, ear

Thanks,
    Shelly

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2013

I learned that explore would be an r-controlled vowel.

I also believe that the air sound in words in an r-controlled vowel as well.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 15, 2013

I think functionally yes - if the "r" in the word modifies the vowel sound. However, I might not teach those all together in a segment on "r-controlled" if that's the purpose of the information - might not be though.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2013

Absolutely they can be r-controlled: try substituting any other consonant (except L, which has issues of its own) and pronounce the word (e.g., stare vs. state; tore vs. tote; sear vs. seat, lair vs. laid, and so on). Even diphthongs get in the act, though fortunately examples are relatively few (scour vs. scout, hike vs. hire), and it seems likely that the first element of the diphthong is insulated from the effects of the R by the second.

R-control isn't about spelling, it's about articulatory phonetics: bunch a tongue up in the mouth the way it needs to be bunched up to produce a proper American English retroflex R, and it's pretty well guaranteed that the vowel will show the effects.

Given that spellings throw an additional level of complexity into the game, I'll agree with EdEd that it makes sense to be a bit selective in what one introduces by way of demonstrating R-control.

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2013

I'd probably approach them as word families when doing vowel pairs. Keeps things simpler for the kids.