Quote of the Day

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by katie94, Jan 12, 2008.

1. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I was thinking of doing a "quote of the day" (if I'm going to be teaching humanities) and have the students write a journal response on this. Do you think that's a good idea?

And does anyone have any inspiring quotes they'd like to share?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

I think using famous and/or thought-provoking quotations is a great way to start each class period. This can be your bellringer assignment!

I have a similar bellringer assignment, only I call it a "Considerantia"--it means "a thinking about" or "reflection" in Latin. I use a famous Latin or Greek quotation, usually about some big topic like Integrity or Honesty or Maturity. Students must write a response of a certain length during the first 10 or so minutes of class. Early in the year, I required a paragraph. Later, I required two paragraphs. Now they are up to three paragraphs, which equals about a page for them. I probably won't make them write more than that.

I've found that doing this sort of bellringer activity is great for a number of reasons.

1. Often they don't know the meaning of one of those big words, so we get to talk about and define it as a class. After that, I know they have some idea about integrity (or whatever), and so I can be sure to use that word when talking about adhering to the honor code during final exams.

2. It forces them to write, which is something they need to practice... a lot. They have big college entrance tests and AP tests coming up, and they need to know how to use their words.

3. It gives me time to get myself organized for the period: take attendance, make sure I have all my stuff together, address tardy students and have them fill out their tardy paperwork, etc.

Occasionally I will throw in a "Liber" day, where students can write about a topic of their choice. "Liber" means "free" (think Liberty, etc.). These are very popular writing prompts and kids loooooove to write and write and write on these days.

4. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I have a few questions for you though:

What is 'bellringer'?

Do you know a lot of latin? And how did you learn latin?

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

Bellringer activities are sometimes called warm-ups or do-nows. It's just an assignment that is up on the board right away as students are entering the classroom. It's an assignment that students are supposed to begin working on as soon as they sit down in their seats, without prompting from the teacher.

Bellringer activities often consist of writing prompts, journaling, short review activities, or activities for finding out about background knowledge.

It's really more of a procedure than anything. You're pretty much training your students to do what you want them to do: sit down and get to work right away. It helps set the tone for the day by giving kids a chance to warm up to the setting and prepare their brains for your class.

Typically, teachers use bellringers on a daily basis. Many teachers use bellringer time to take care of administrative tasks (as I do).

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

:)

I do know a lot of Latin! I studied Latin in junior high and high school, earned a BA in Latin and ancient Greek, and earned a Masters degree in Latin after that.

It's my favorite!

7. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Oh that makes sense! I will definitely try that then!

8. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Cool! I would love to learn some latin!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2008

Latin is pretty sweet.

Where in Canada are you? I'm originally from North Dakota, which boarders Manitoba.

10. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

British Columbia

11. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Jan 12, 2008

I do a quote before every class. Quotationspage.com is a good place, as are plenty of other sites.

I sometimes will try to find quotes from contemporaries to mix it up, such as Oprah, Tupac, etc. They flip out when you throw a quote up there from someone like Tupac, but they really like it.

And of course I do the Socrates and Confucious quotes too.

I have them write a paragraph on what the quote means to them and then we discuss it. Takes ten to fifteen minutes. I teach a ninety minute block.

Also, I bought a brainteaser book and sometimes to do something a little different, I'll throw a brainteaser on the board.

I do this for my bellwork too.

One of my favs: "Be kind, for everyone you meet if fighting a hard battle." Plato

12. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 13, 2008

That website looks really good ... I'll check it out further, thank you firemaple!

13. TigerTeacher08

TigerTeacher08 New Member

Jan 14, 2008

These are wonderful ideas! I received a permanent substitute position and I start on Thursday. I am filling in for a teacher while she is on maternity leave. This is my first teaching job and I am absolutely thrilled!!!

I am definetly going to use this quote idea for my daily bellringer activity.

Also, I wanted to ask if firemaple or katie can email me the packet you received from another member on icebreakers. I am not sure how to "PM" another member. I could really use some ideas ono how to start my class. Thanks so much. My email is jkesich627@yahoo.com.

14. TigerTeacher08

TigerTeacher08 New Member

Jan 14, 2008

hmmm...they would not allow me to post my email. how do you "pm" another member?

15. firemaple

firemaple Companion

Jan 14, 2008

Ummm, I'm not on my home computer, but if you have a questions e-mail me at jimaellis at gmail dot com.

I'll take a look when I get home.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 14, 2008

pm = private message It is like an e-mail account on the AtoZ site. At the top of the page on the right you can see where it says "private messages". If you want to talk to an AtoZ member you can click on their name and go down to send a private message.

As far as the quote of the day, it is great idea! Thinkexist.com is a great source of quotes. Also, ask the students to submit quotes and draw them out when you don't have one!

17. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 14, 2008

I actually didn't receive the packet from that person ... I sent them a pm, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

18. Mrs_R

Mrs_R New Member

Jan 15, 2008

I do a quote of the day on most days

I am a quote junkie. I always have paper with me and write down interesting quotes--even from a public restroom wall! I got a letter from a former student telling me she does the same thing now and keeps a quote journal because I inspired her. One of my "teacher" moments!!

I like getting quotes from the book The Book of Positive Quotations compiled by John Cook. It has just about everything you can imagine--old, new, funny, thought-provoking, etc. I love it, and I use it just about every day.

I find the quotes on the board help get the kids focused as they come into the room. Many times, the kids will ask for one if there isn't one on the board! Love it!!

Mrs_R

PS. I just joined to answer this post because I am such a big fan of quotes :p

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 15, 2008

I used quotes with my 2nd graders. Their favorite was "No bees, no honey; no work, no money"

20. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Jan 15, 2008

Mrs_R: I'm gonna go find that book! It sounds great!

mrachelle87: That is such a cute quote! Love it!

21. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 16, 2008

I love using quotes for bellringers...I usually have my students do a free write on a quote at least once a week. Sometimes I choose a wacky or insightful quote from an author we or studying, or I'll use a saying/quote from a popular actress, singer, athlete, ect.

Today I gave my students an evaluation of my course, and I was so surprised to see how many listed "quote bellringers" in their top ten favorites! :2up: