Quitting:(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sue35, May 23, 2011.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 23, 2011

Well, the time has come for me to quit work at the old age of 29. I was originally going to go part time but the whole idea is not not be around germs so that would not help. I have to tell my principal this on Thursday and I am afraid I will wimp out. I know it is for the best but this is extremely hard for me. My whole life was teaching (which is also a big reason for leaving).

I can't expect anyone to make me feel better about the decision because I won't, but I do have one big question. What do I do with all the time?!?! I do not want to volunteer with kids the first year, it is just too hard. I can't actually do a lot of volunteer activities because of my health. So I need other specific ideas. Here is what I have:

Exercising, spending time with new nephew, actually talking and seeing my friends, hanging out with family, learning to cook. Now I need many other suggestions. Please help me get somewhat excited for this big change!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2011

sue~I just want to give you big :hugs:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

:hugs:times ten!

You're engaged, yes? Or are you already married? So sorry—I forgot. Either way, how open is his schedule?

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 23, 2011

I am sorry you need to make this decision, but glad you have the opportunity to make your health your priority. I am betting you won't get bored. I love to read so I would do a lot of reading. I love to walk and miss it so I would do local hikes. I don't have any time anymore to be creative or crafty and I would like to do more of that and learn new crafty stuff. Maybe I would even get my house clean - or maybe not - :lol:

Whatever you choose to do - have fun!

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Sue, hugs.

Just some ideas:
    1) Write a book
    2) draw
    3) take fun classes at the college (art, music, poetry, etc)
    4) join some sort of community class (walking, cooking, bird watching etc)
    5) gardening

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 23, 2011

My wedding is in September so most of the planning would be finished by the time school starts up again. I am most nervous about winter because I really can't go out much in the cold. I would start something crafty but then never know what to start or what to do with it when it's done:)

For anyone who has done this, without kids, what is a typical day like? There might not be many of you like that I guess. Thank you all for your support

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

May 23, 2011

I don't know anything about your health but I'm very sorry that you're quitting something you love so much.

:hugs:

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Hmm, well, I'm in a weird situation in my life right now. I quit my teaching job back in March to move away due to husband's job. I currently am not working. So far I have:
    1) drawn several pictures
    2) studied to two major science test for my earth science and chemistry credentials
    3) spent time with friends and family- staying in touch with my old work family
    4) watched several movies and tv shows on netflix
    5) exercising
    6) spend way too much time on here
    7) been reading a lot more often
    8) going to get back to playing guitar
    9) I learned how to bake a pie with my friend
    10) working with my friend to start up a nonprofit organization

10. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 23, 2011

If you learn how to knit/crochet/sew you could make blankets/hats/stuffed animals/shawls/etc. (you get the picture) and give it to a children's hospital, nursing home, church or someplace. Felting looks like a lot of fun, but I haven't had a chance to do it. I know I only ever make stuff if I have a reason to make it. There's also making jewelry, wood crafts, scrapbooking, baking, candle making..... Can you tell I work at a craft store?

Good luck :)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

First of all, I think you are going to mourn for a bit. I think that's normal. When I moved, I had to make a powerpoint of my new location and go shopping to send a care package back home. I can say it was for them, but really it was because I was still attached and missing them so.

I have kids and I have access to military morale events so I can't give you specific advice. What I will tell you is I wondered a little bit of the same thing about how I would fill my days besides cleaning while my kids are in school. Even though I have found millions of things to do in acts of self-indulgence (first pedicure, exploring my new environment, learning new recipes, organizing things, decorating, meeting up with friends, watching entire seasons of Korean dramas I've never even heard of, etc.), the thing that has helped me the most to deal with not having a job is volunteering. I find that I don't have time to formally volunteer yet. As amazing as it is, now that I am NOT working, I find so much to do that I need calendar. But I need something that makes me feel useful too. Volunteering doesn't have to be a formal thing. Have you ever heard a friend lament regarding something they are stressed about? Help out! I'm often surprised at how easy this is to do if I'm really listening. Not only will you deepen your friendships but you'll find that it will make you feel better too. You could make file folder games and sell them on e-bay. Really the sky is the limit. The key will be to realize your life is wide open now and be on the search for something to do and be open to listening too. If you open your eyes and ears and think about what you enjoy and how you can help, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and if you have a lazy day or just want to rest, truly never feel guilty about it. Your life is now your own schedule. It can be a blessing if you let it. That doesn't mean I hate working. It just means that the key to any lifestyle change is being open to it and realizing the blessings in every stage of our lives.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

It's funny. There are some days where I have nothing going on and all I want to do is relax, and I can't. I feel so guilty if I do. I feel like I have to do something productive each and everyday. So, on those days I will work on my resume, look for jobs, make phone calls to property management, or deal with bills, etc.

I like TeachingHistory's advice on knitting/crocheting. I forgot to add to my list on making animal pillows (I just need to buy my own sewing machine now that I can't use my mom's). :)

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

Let's see....

*join a yoga class (or insert your own exercise idea)
    *learn a new water activity (summer is coming)
    *find a new shopping area
    *find a new restaurant
    *spend time learning new recipes and making healthier menu plans
    *read
    *watch entire seasons of tv shows all in one swoop
    *find out what your community center offers
    *find out what events your town will be hosting
    *find out what events in the park (movies on the lawn, concerts, etc.)
    *explore a new town (even if you are sightseeing for free (minus a little gas)
    *invite friends over more often/visit/go out
    *update your mp3 player
    *truly organize your house
    *find something to repurpose and revamp using a little creativity
    *go for walks (be surprised at the lively scenes you can find doing this)
    *go bike riding (Sarge will back this one up)
    *sit on a beach with a book
    *sit at the park with a book
    *take your laptop to a bookstore and browse and soak in the calm scenery
    *look on the internet for charity options you can do from home
    *write a letter to a soldier
    *call/write/email/catch up with old friends and family
    *learn to make blankets for a charity or pillowcases or whatever--can do in your own time
    *create a blog or website, research links to add to it, etc.
    *learn something new in the tech realm

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

Peachy, I feel guilty too but I try not to. Today I caught myself using the excuse that my husband is asking me to go around the house all morning and take random pictures of damaged furniture and email him as an excuse of why I'm still sitting here hopelessly sucked into a Korean drama and not out of the house doing errands yet. The house is spic and span. Everyone is fed. I will get these errands done in due time. So why did I have to give myself an excuse? I think it is human nature. We enjoy ourselves more if we just let go of that a little bit (not completely) like we know how to do on the weekends.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2011

Yeah, I am really having to train myself to just let go and relax. I WILL work eventually when the school year begins. Hubby made me quit to go with him (since I"m his wife and all :rolleyes:).

I am slowly starting a herb garden in our little balcony. Eventually, I'll have my little garden retreat out there. :)

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 23, 2011

*scrapbook
    *take up photography
    *take an online course

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 23, 2011

Heck, I never feel guilty!! I must say that I have enjoyed these last two years not working. My favorite at-home things to do are puzzles - sudoku, crossword, online puzzles of all kinds. I also love having the time to read books that totally interest me (instead of things I have to read). I usually hit a couple of thrift shops once a week, but try not to accumulate too much. The weather here is wonderful for going to the pool most months of the year. And, yes, little indulgences like lunch out with my sister and SIL, an occasional daytime movie, and afternoon naps are truly delightful.

The last two years were filled with taking care of my ill mother, too, and I'm thankful I could do it. My niece just got married, and I was able to share in some of the planning with my sister.

Now, if I could just get my grown children to move out of the house .....

18. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

May 23, 2011

:hugs::hugs:

Would you consider teaching online classes?

Why not write a book about your journey and all of your memories about your teaching?

Learn to play a musical instrument?

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 23, 2011

I have not been working for 3 years. The first year went by fine--I found lots to do that had been waiting around for my time. Now that I am 3 years into not working, I have had to find some outlets, otherwise I sit and watch TV all day.

Because my lifestyle was so boring, my DH and I made a life style change and moved to a small farm. Let me tell you, there is always something to do on a farm. I use the outside work in place of a gym workout. I knit and sew in the evenings--and I am making all my Christmas gifts this year. (maybe you remember that I sent for free stuff last year, and everyone got a huge basket of goodies.)

I guess I am saying, don't worry, you will find plently to fill your time. I also volunteer. I am very careful about what I volunteer to do. I just started volunteering at a new Food Bank, since I moved. They want me to teach cooking classes, which I will carefully consider.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

You've been given so many great suggestions, I don't think I have any to add. Just wanted to send along my hugs as well.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

Ah, Sue, I'm sorry it's come to this, but glad for you that you're making the wise choice. Know that education is losing a fine teacher.

Let's start with my old reliable: freelance writing. I don't know whether or not it's up your alley, but I've made some pretty decent money at it in the past. I tend to make better money in educational writing, though article writing is more fun. If you're interested, this may help you get started:
    http://www.freelancewriting.com/newsletters/morning-coffee-freelance-writing-jobs.php new postings every Tuesday

http://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/

http://www.freelancewriting.com/freelance-writing-jobs.php

- OK, let's assume you would prefer volunteer work. Why not contact several organizations, explain the parameters you're limited to, and ask how you can help? I'm thinking the CF association-- as you know, they do frequent fundraisers. I'm sure they could use extra help with publicity or something, and you could do it from home. If you would prefer to move OUT of the health area, just pick the charity you would prefer--anything from literacy to adoption to enviornmental to animal protection. With all the cuts in federal and state aid, I can't see anyone turning down a volunteer with as much to offer as you have.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 24, 2011

Hugs, sue.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2011

So, you're getting out of teaching for good or is it a certain period of time? Hey, we all do what's best for us.

- go for drives going different routes you've never gone
    - browse bookstores/libraries
    - take up a new hobby: art, photography, yoga

24. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

May 24, 2011

Have you ever thought about putting all your teaching energies and skills into creating products to sell on TeachersPayTeachers.com? :)

:hugs:

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 24, 2011

You could sell your crafts on Etsy! I was looking at a store last night that had beautiful earrings and necklaces made out of shrinky dink plastic-she had drawn beautiful art and baked the pieces. So creative!

Hugs, Sue.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

As I understand it, Sue's health issues are the reason for her resignation.

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 24, 2011

Thank you all so much for the ideas. Yes, Ms. I, I am quitting for my health and right now it is looking like it is for good. My fiancee and I want to explore surrogacy is I get well enough so I would not work during that also.

I think I will take up jewelry making, cooking class, and photography. And read lots:) I just worry that I will become a hermit. I am naturally shy and volunteering or taking classes scare me, but no time like the present to change that!

I really am trying so hard to look at this positively but everyday I go to school now takes on a different meaning. I find it is the little things that make me realize how much I will miss the kids, like putting stickers on their papers or having them tell me a funny story. Ahhh

28. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 24, 2011

Alice could you give me examples of some of the freelance articles you do? I am looking at the websites and they look interesting.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 24, 2011

Sue I sent you some PMs-- too many characters for just one!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2011

Sue, sorry about your health issue. I wish you much happiness in whatever you do! :)

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 24, 2011

I was thinking of that too.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

Best wishes today Sue.

Hold it together. You KNOW this is the right move, as sad as it makes you.

As I've often quoted here, my favorite prayer is the Serenity Prayer:
    "Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

It seems to me that you're right on target with all three counts.

33. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 26, 2011

Not sure exactly what your condition is- and I know winters are cold. I have some extremely odd cold sensitivities/issues too. This past winter I invested in REALLY nice (but expensive) wool long underwear and new snowpants (with side zips for ventilation). It made a big difference for me this winter. Of course my doctor says "avoid cold conditions when you can" but It was enough that i could wait for the bus and then get somewhere. It took me probably an extra 10 minutes to get dressed all winter- but it was worth it.

I have cold induced urticaria ("cold allergy") as well as abnormal cold agglutinins but not enough to diagnose me with cold agglutinin disease. I also have very odd things with my immune system where I am overly susceptible to somethings but seem to be immune to others.

It says you're in IL- but I wonder how far from the city- because people work so many different shifts here- I find there are things to do regardless of what time of day it is. Such as craft classes, park district classes etc.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 26, 2011

How did it go, Sue?

35. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 26, 2011

I haven't read the entire thread, but have you considered working for a Virtual Academy? Kids gather at a location (often a school) and take online classes from a certified teacher (the certified teacher is online, and not in contact with any actual children).

My niece did something like this. She taught Excel as on online teacher for a community college all the way across country!

36. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 27, 2011

I told all the teachers and my kids today. Some of the teachers got tears in their eyes, which made me feel so loved. My kids were stunned. It was so hard because I will miss everyone so much. It really is like a family where I work. But now that everyone knows it is easier to move on.

Alice, I am going to look into freelancing. I have a couple questions that I will PM you.

I know I did the right thing, it just is so hard to think this is the end of me working. In my mind, it means I am getting to the next step in my disease which is never a good thing.

Thank you all for helping me get through this!

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 28, 2011

Sure, Sue, I'll be happy to help!

It must have been brutally hard for you--- I'm so glad it's behind you.

And know that the most likely payoff will be less hospital time for you-- that's a tremendous thing!

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 28, 2011

I'm so sorry, Sue! Please know that this decision is for the best! Take care of yourself! :hugs:

39. bdsweetie

bdsweetie Rookie

Jan 29, 2012

You could make videos related to teaching to post on youtube or make fun lesson units or teaching materials to sell for other teachers. YOu could also start a teaching blog to share your ideas.

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2012

Sue they have given you some wonderful ideas especially teaching online classes.
    Well Sue since I retired:
    I have caught up on all the sleep I lost during 35 years of teaching,
    I am trying to catch up with all the books I have wanted to read for the last 35 years,
    I have more time for my granddaughter,
    I am watching all the TV I missed in the same 35 years, did you know M*A*S*H has never been off the air since going into syndication?
    I go have lunch with Terri or with friends,
    I order more stuff from Amazon,
    I go to trials (I will go to one tomorrow of the guy who killed my stepdaughter's friend)
    I have gone to the local school to read to/with the kids,
    I "exercise" by going to the mall, Walmart , or Home Depot(they know my name at HD) and just walking around.

:hugs: you will do fine

41. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 30, 2012

Irishdave, if you order enough from amazon, you might want to look into Amazon Prime (you can watch TV shows and movies directly from the amazon website) and you get free two-day shipping from amazon. It's like $70 a year, or $35 a year if you can get someone with a .edu email to add you to their amazon account