Quitting Mid-Year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachin4ever, Nov 22, 2012.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 22, 2012

After much deliberation with my husband, friends and myself, I've decided that I'm going to have to quit my teaching job. :(

My mom was watching my 5 month old, but things are just not working out. It's causing more stress than I need right now. Plus, I found out that on Election Day (my day off), she interviewed for a job and got it. She keeps telling me she will honor her word and watch my little one until June, but I know she wants out and would rather be working in her field. My husband and I decided that day care is just not an option for us - it's not something we want for our baby. I tried going part-time, but HR won't approve it (even though my principal was totally on board). So after weighing the pros and cons, I've decided that I'll quit and stay home and watch my baby.

It's just really hard because while I'm excited to stay home and spend more time raising my little guy, I LOVE teaching. I love the school I'm at and the kids and it's going to be hard to give all that up for a while. I'm also nervous that I will have a hard time finding a job when I decide it's time to go back.

I haven't told my boss yet, even though he knew this might be coming. I've never really had to quit a job I really and truly cared about. I know it's customary to give two weeks when quitting, but I am willing to finish out the semester (which ends the second week in January) to make for an easier transition for everyone involved.

My family and non-teacher friends are very supportive and understanding. My teacher friends, however, think I'm committing career suicide by quitting. While that may be, I have a little one that I have to think about now - it's not all about me and my career anymore.

If anyone has any input or advice on how to handle quitting mid-year, I would appreciate it. I don't want to burn any bridges. Like I said, I really love it there and HOPE that one day in the future, I will have the opportunity to work there again.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2012

I think you should consider taking a one-year leave of absence rather than quitting outright.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 22, 2012

I wish I could. This is only my second year with the district. They won't allow me to take a leave of absence since I don't have tenure yet. Believe me, I have tried every option I can think of to not have to quit. I even talked with my union rep and a few other teachers to see what options I have that I might not know of. Unfortunately, there were none.

5. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Nov 22, 2012

I think it is good you are giving them plenty of time to hire someone else - stuff comes up, and in my experience people understand you have to do what is best for you and your family. We had a teacher leave us last year mid year for a better paying job in the public sector, and she didn't let our school director know until we returned from Xmas break! This was when she got the offer. While it was hard replacing her then, everyone understood, including our director.

I have to disagree with your teacher friends here - I know MANY teachers who stayed home with their children before returning back to teaching. As long as you realize it may take a lot to get back to where you are, such as subbing for awhile, etc., then it is a gift to be thankful for! Also, not a lot of people CAN stay home even if they want to, so perhaps they just don't relate to or understand your experience.

Best of luck, and Happy Holidays!

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 22, 2012

I don't mean to pry or sound like I am telling you what to do with your child at all, but is there really no option where you could have someone to take care of your little guy? I know your son is special to you and staying home with your child is wonderful. It's truly a great bonding time. But maybe you could have your cake and eat it to if you were able to find someone you are comfortable with.

When I was a kid, my aunt, who is elderly, used to take care of infants in her home and she was the most loving, nurturing grandma type. I wouldn't recommend her for older children because kids needs to socialize and learn about to read and write, but for babies, she was awesome. Is there anyone in your neighborhood, or do any friends knows someone like that.

Hmm...how do you feel about substituting? That may you still have your foot in the door with either your school or maybe you can establish a good repor with another school. Good subs are hard to come by (at least in my district). My girlfriend started out as one of them, then after a couple years she got her certification and had her pick of schools.

Just a thought. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you. Careers are important but FAMILY FIRST.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 22, 2012

I left a job that I loved, that paid A LOT of money and had wonderful benefits, so I could be a better mother to my child. I just wasn't the best version of me when I worked the hours that I worked. My child needed me at home so I quit.

Almost everyone told me I was committing career suicide too. And, in a way, they were right. I knew that I'd never be able to go back to that company if I left. I loved that job but I loved being able to be home more.

Now I make less than half of what I made, work more hours, have tons more stress, horrible benefits but I don't regret taking those few years off. My second career is working for my family NOW. In a few years it might not be the best for me so I might go for yet another career change. I would make the same decision all over again if I had to.

I can honestly say that the happiest years of my life were the the times that I stayed home with my children.

However...many of my friends had those times marred by financial worries. I was fortunate in that my husband and I prepared for lean times BEFORE I became a SAHM. I did not mind cutting back at all. But I didn't want to trade the stress of working for the stress of worrying about bills. So, I'd advise you to sock away twice as much money as you think is possible so you can enjoy every moment at home.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 22, 2012

I see someone who is making a large sacrifice for her child. Personally, I think that is awesome. I think it is great that you are having the courage to do what is best for what you and your husband have decided to do for your child. I wish you the best of luck.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2012

I would not have a child if I couldn't leave my job to raise him or her at home. I'm simply unwilling to allow someone else spend eight or nine hours a day with my baby. I think that so long as you can afford it, you should do what works for your family.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 22, 2012

My mom didn't begin her teaching career until I was in 3rd grade. She earned her BA and teaching credential before she had children, but didn't interview for teaching positions until my siblings and I were in elementary school.

A few months ago, I asked her if she wished she had started her teaching career right after finishing college (she waited eight years). She said, "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" She loved being able to stay home with us as kids. She made certain that all three of us were reading before kindergarten and she was truly the world's best mom.

Anyway, do what's best for your family! :2cents:

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay at home for 8 years, and wouldn't trade that for anything. That being said, I wouldn't have left mid-year after signing a contract. For my first one, I took maternity leave then finished out the year and quit after that. I found good care but realized I wanted to stay home which surprised me, actually. Research the implications of leaving early if you have signed a contract. In some cases you have to pay money back for benefits and in some states your license can be suspended. Also, think about the finances. We were really tight and it caused a lot of stress and debt I am probably still paying off. Also, I will not retire with as much and have to work later than most of my co-workers. That is the price I am paying for staying at home so long. Was it worth it? Yes, but....

12. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Nov 23, 2012

It's been over 20 years, but I quit 2 teaching jobs mid-year with no problems. I had our daughter (Jan.)and stayed home 1 1/2 years.The school I left called and asked me to come back since a 1st grade was opening, or I may have stayed home longer. When our younger daughter was almost 1 1/2 years old we moved and I resigned in Jan. It was "only"30 miles, but I didn't want to drive that with 2 young children. I was fortunate that I could quit. I am fairly frugal. No regrets on loss of income, etc. I hope things work out for you and your family.

13. newbie1

newbie1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012

My baby will be 15 months old tomorrow and since I graduated 2 years ago, I have only subbed. I just found a part time job, which I'm happy about because I can be home with my baby for most of the day. It's difficult working now because there are so many responsibilities between work and home, and I am technically a first year teacher. I think I did the right thing turning down the full time job offers after graduating and waiting until I found a part time job.
    Since you have already worked it wont be as difficult for you to find a job and fall back into the teaching role when you are ready to work again. I don't think you need to worry about anything. Good luck!

14. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 23, 2012

Thank you all SO much for your advice and for sharing your stories!! It has made me feel more comfortable with my decision. Still not 100% okay with it, but definitely more comfortable.

Thankfully, my husband has a great job and makes enough money to support our family without my income, so I'm fortunate to not have that be an issue. Plus, we had 6 years of both of us working with no kids to save up money. We're not big spenders.

And I will have to double check my contract...thank you for bringing that up. I certainly don't want my license revoked or anything like that, so I'll make sure there's no repercussions for leaving mid-year.

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2012

Since your husband can support your family, I think it is the best option especially if you hope to grow your family.

With that said, we too were hesitant to have day care. But it turned out to be one of the best things. We found a lady who only took one teacher's family until 3. They took walks, did crafts and chores, prepared meals/snacks, etc. Because we were apart during the day, I never felt the need for a break from my own children.

At 3, we put them into the YMCA program. It was pricey but WELL worth it. They particpated in gymnastics, swim lessons, dance, tae kwon do, music class, drama, art class, story time, circle time, crafts, baking, etc during the day allowing us to be a family all evening. It was amazing! I had no regrets then and still have none now.

Again, if staying home feels right, go with it. You need to trust your instincts. But please know, that if you cannot, day care can be very rewarding for all of you!

16. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Nov 23, 2012

I don't understand why some people dislike daycare. I think a child being in a good daycare center is great. The babies get to socialize with others so they get used to a variety of people. They also get to do fun activities like hand painting, dancing, role playing,etc. Only thing I see bad about daycare centers is viruses can easily spread from one child to the next. Kids there get sick easily but in time they do become immune to it. I still think the pros of daycare centers outweigh the cons. :) And if I have a child, I would take him/her to daycare if I can afford it so I can still be both a career woman and a mommy :cool:

17. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 23, 2012

I think this is a highly personal decision, and each individual needs to do what is best for their family. I chose to stay home with my children (my first child was in day care for three years) so that I could be the one to do all the things you mention with my children. Not everyone is able to do that. It was the best decision for my family, but I wouldn't presume to tell others what to do.

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2012

You definitely need to do what's best for your family. I don't necessarily think you are committing career suicide, though leaving in the middle of a school year doesn't help. When you are ready to return, if you are asked about it you can explain that your nanny fell through and you were left without options. You might not be able to get your same job back, and you might not land a school you necessarily want, but I am confident that when you decide to return to teaching you will eventually land something.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2012

I think parenthood is the ultimate "career". I could do all of those things with my child (painting, playing, socializing with others), so it's not so much as disliking daycare as it is not needing it.

20. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 23, 2012

I hope I didn't imply that I disliked daycare. I have friends who have their children in day care and many of them have positive things to say about it. It's just something my husband and I decided back when I was pregnant that we weren't going to do with our baby. We said either a close family member would watch him or one of us would quit and raise him. My mom isn't working out and his sister could watch him, but only part-time.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2012

You made the right decision! My parents were able to do it where my dad made enough too when I was a baby. I was never in daycare either nor would I want it if I had a baby myself.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2012

Teach...make the decision that's right for your family. :love:

23. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2012

Do it! That is the best thing for you to do, and I am glad that your husband will be able to provide for y'all with his income.
    With my son, I had to put him in childcare at 6 months old because I had to go to work to make ends meet. Later on when I had my daughter, I was able to take 2 years off with her and I loved it! I had a great time and we enjoyed it a lot.
    I hope you will have the time of your life while staying home with your son. Makes some GREAT memories and God bless!
    Rebel1