Quitting Before I Start

Discussion in 'General Education' started by daisycakes, Aug 4, 2014.

1. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 4, 2014

I got a job offer in June and signed an at-will (charter school) contract in early July. The day I turned in my contract, my principal sat me down and told me a ton of things I wish I had known prior to signing.

For example, I teach music and I need to share my room and my class time with PE. They literally want me to divide class time in two and only teach music for like 23 minutes and then send the kids out for PE. That is not enough time to get anything done. They also want me to work with this PE teacher to have common expectations, rules, core activities, etc. However, this teacher will be missing the first 3 weeks of school, so we have no planning time together. I can't understand why they would not tell me this until after I signed the contract -- were they intentionally trying to mislead me?

Other things have come up. I teach band but there are not enough band instruments. I was told they would purchase me more and when I followed up recently they told me they decided not to purchase them after all.

Additionally, I was hired to teach middle school music at a 6-12 school. They called me last week and told me I would be teaching a new music theory class to SENIORS who need an elective. I asked if I could teach something else (chorus or music appreciation) since music theory is completely abstract to non-musicians (if you do not know what a note is, why do you need to be able to resolve a chord?) and they said music theory is what looks best on college applications. I have never taught HS and I'm not interested in doing it now, especially with no curriculum to a bunch of disinterested seniors. ALSO, they want me to have my band participate in a parade the 2nd week of school. I have been teaching band for 5 years and I have never even distributed instruments by the 2nd week of school, much less have them rehearsed and ready to perform for a parade!

So, I started looking for a new job pretty much immediately after that last telephone conversation and I was fortunate enough to get a call today with an offer and 2 more interviews scheduled tomorrow! Both jobs are further away, but I'm pretty sure any job would be better than the job I currently have.

I am worried about resigning. I will be giving them 2.5 weeks notice before the start of school. I am also worried they will try to take action against my credential (in CA). My "employment agreement" says it is at-will (character school) and they can terminate at any time, but if I ever terminate I could be reported. I don't understand how they can report me if it is an at-will agreement and they can fire me any time they want. I called the CTC and they say they can't give me any advice but I would get to state my side of the story before any action is taken. Do you think I am in any danger here of actually losing my credential?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2014

I think you are fine trying to get out. However, if you're certified to teach high school, don't be surprised if they put you there at some point. We have two music teachers in our district -one for choir and one for band. They both teach at our elementary and our 7-12 school. I'm certified 7-12. I could be moved to the junior high without my consent and it's either take it or quit. It sucks but it happens a lot in other districts.

The PE thing is definitely crap though. 23 minutes is not realistic.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2014

It sounds like they pulled a bait and switch scam. So very unethical. My very first job, a long term sub that was to turn full time as soon as the board approved it, was cut to part time, back to full time, then returned to part time, before they decided they were going to cut the position. I left.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

With most charter schools, you can quit whenever you feel like if you give two weeks notice. I doubt it will affect your license by getting out, and I doubt many people would blame you.

6. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 5, 2014

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe charter schools can go after your license like a public school district. I'm not a music teacher but my father is a professional musician. This sounds like it is going to be a bad situation for you. Music Theory is not appropriate to be teaching to students who have not had several years of either instrumental or choral training. It would be like teaching calculus to a first grader. I would tell the school that because of recent changes on their behalf, which you were not aware of when signing your contract, you no longer feel the position is a good fit for you.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

I got a sick feeling in my stomach after reading this post!

Go to the interviews, do your best, and hope for a job offer. Give your resignation as soon as you get a job offer. I am not sure how charters work, but I know that my public school (K-8) district requires a two week notice. Not certain how they would handle a situation where a teacher gave less notice than that.

Please keep us posted and let us know if you need any further advice.

8. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 5, 2014

I already have a verbal offer. I an going to probably resign tomorrow when I have a written offer, giving them 2 weeks and 5 days notice. I am worried because they say in the contract that, even though it is at will, they will repor you for breaking it. When I asked the ctc, they gave little advice but showed me the form charters would have to fill out to report me and they have to provide a copy of my resignation letter. So, I am thinking of detailibg my grievances in a respectful way in my letter so if they do report me, the ctc sees why I resigned. What do you think?

9. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 5, 2014

Does this P think he hired a music teacher or a miracle worker? :lol:

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2014

Good luck!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

Yes--be very frank and forthcoming while maintaining a high level of professionalism in the letter. If you'd like, you can send it to me in a PM and I can look it over.

12. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2014

It depends. I know in the private school I teach at, we have yearly contracts similar to public school. If we break our contract then a P could go after a teacher's license for breaking a contract without permission. If a charter school has a contract that a teacher signs that outlines that a teacher promises to teach from August_____ to June____, and the teacher decided they want out and gives 2 weeks notice, the P or charter could legally say, "No you signed a contract". Written contracts are very powerful under law.

I don't like how the P wasn't completely open in the interview, but I know that is not completely untypical. I had that happen in education and even worse when I was in business. See if you can give her a little bit of what she wants. Since PE teacher isn't there, come up with some general rules and procedures and see if you can e-mail PE teacher and see what he/she thinks.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 5, 2014

I don't understand why an at-will school would even have a contract for you to sign. Glad you can get out with those two weeks.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 5, 2014

My bad. I missed the part where you said it was an at-will school. Others are right. You should be able to leave with 2 weeks notice.

Where I am located music teachers are in high demand. If that is true by you, it might be good to shop around for a better school.

15. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 5, 2014

YoungTeacherGuy - thanks for your offer! I PM'd it to you but don't know if it went through since it is not in my sent items folder. I'm not sure I can PM you since I am a new member.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

I received the message and will provide feedback by this evening! :)

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2014

I hope it works out! I had a contract at an at-will charter. My contract stated that it could be terminated by either side with no notice. The school was a nightmare. I ended up resigning. I can't remember when I submitted the letter, but I think I turned it in on Monday with my last day being Friday. (They already had extra teachers on staff waiting for enrollment, so it wasn't an issue to replace me.) I meant to turn it in earlier, but the Ps husband was in the hospital and then it was her birthday.

18. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 6, 2014

I now have 2 verbal offers, so I went ahead and sent it. I am so nervous!!! I really hope they don't try to report me.

19. Bbiek001

Bbiek001 Rookie

Aug 7, 2014

They will not report you and cannot do anything to your credential if you are giving them time to replace you. You can really only have something adverse happen to your credential through the CTC if you abandon your post without just cause. If your employment is at will you should be fine getting out of the contract.

20. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 7, 2014

So, the principal called me today. She said she understood and agreed with many of my concerns and wanted a chance to fix them. For example, she said, "I know you don't want to teach music theory. Would you prefer to be part-time and not have to teach that class?" I said no. Then she said, "Well, given this position has so many challenges, perhaps we can work something out where you teach part-time but we still pay you as a full-time teacher. Would you be interested?"

So, basically, she is saying I didn't give her a chance to address these issues before up and quitting. However, do you really think if I had simply gone to her and said, "Hey, I really, really, really don't want to teach music theory" she would have just said, "Sure, let's remove a class from your schedule entirely and still pay you your full salary!"?! I feel like she is only offering this as an option because I resigned.

She denied telling me there wasn't enough money to purchase the additional instruments 2 weeks ago. She said she simply doesn't recall that conversation and that they were, in fact, okay to purchase! She even supposedly forwarded me the email! (I never got it)

At the end of the conversation, when I clarified nothing could be done, she said that she would have to talk to HR because I "signed a contract." I said that I understood the agreement to be at-will. She said, "Right, but I will still have to talk to HR to see what we have to do about your contract."

What do you all make of this?!

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

She's probably blowing smoke. And she doesn't want the hassle of finding someone new.

22. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I think she is making you false promises to keep you from quitting. I really would move on, I doubt she is going to keep any of those promises.

23. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

I agree! Lace up your sneakers and run away! Somehow you will have "misunderstood" what ever she is promising now. This is not a good start to a professional relationship!

24. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I agree, it's just not a good way to start, and she doesn't want to be back to square one with hiring. You have to do what's best for you. She wasn't up front in the beginning about aspects of the position and it seems she is trying to backtrack now.

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 7, 2014

Sounds like she was lying in several ways, including trying to hold you to an at-will contract (like I said, I don't understand HAVING a contract like that).

26. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 9, 2014

I am getting anxious because it has been 3 days and they have not reposted my job! I do not want to be held responsible for them not finding someone else.

27. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Aug 9, 2014

The questions are... have you been given more than verbal offers from the other places and have you submitted anything in written form to the charter school for documentation? I hope this gets settled soon for you. The charter school sounds like a nightmare.

28. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Aug 9, 2014

This whole thing sounds super sketchy....on what planet would a school willingly pay a teacher a full-time salary for only working part time? I agree, it definitely sounds like she is blowing smoke in order to keep you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 9, 2014

STAY RESIGNED.

My charter school was the same way. Lots of broken promises and turnover. You'll be fine. Accept the other job and move on. It's her problem to figure this out.

30. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 9, 2014

Yes, I signed a contract with another school on Friday.