Quitting after 1st year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LivingOnTheRock, Jul 6, 2009.

1. LivingOnTheRock

LivingOnTheRock New Member

Jul 6, 2009

I completed my first year of teaching after staying home with my kids for almost 20 years. It was a horrible year. I still have a child in school, and our family life was taxed to the breaking point. I have decided to resign, but I feel badly because I signed my contract already and I hate to quit after only one year. However, my husband and I agree it is what is best for our family. Is is terrible to resign in July before school starts in August?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2009

You have to do the best thing for your family. There are enough unemployed teachers out there that your school should have no difficulty replacing you.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

If you were to stay, you run the risk of hurting a lot of people. Your family, of course, needs you. But also your kids need a teacher who is able to focus solely on them, at least during the school day. When you are stressed, it shows. No matter how well you think you are hiding it, kids know.

5. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

No way. If you and your husband agree it is what is best for your family, do it.

6. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

In Texas, you have 45 days before the first day of instruction to quit without any repercussions. I resigned after 1 year. I had signed my contract and resigned in July. It didn't prevent me from finding another position (if that's what you want).

7. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Do not worry, there are a lot of people who need a teaching job. I'm sorry things didn't work out. If it weren't for your family I'd say give it more time. Do it now so that your school can find someonelse. Best of luck to you! :hugs:

8. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

Just think of it like this:
    1. You are doing what is best for your family.
    2. You are helping a teacher who is seeking a position get one.
    Hope this helps!

9. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Nothing wrong with it like others said...if its not what you want to do then you gotta do whats best for you...you wont do a good job if you dont love what you do.

But dont throw coming back out the window, the first year is almost always hell for teachers and it can only get better. Just keep that in mind

10. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

You are also being considerate of the kids that need a teacher that can give their all to them. If you can't, the only good alternative is to allow someone else to take you place that can give them what they need.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 6, 2009

You're going to make someone's day! Make your decision and don't look back!

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

I totally agree... I totally respect that you can admit that where you are now is not the best foot for you. Perhaps there is another school or position out there for you.

13. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

The first year is always very hard and stressful. The second year you have the experience that makes life so much better. You may find that you do not have nearly as much take home work as you did the first year. If you do not like the school, area, content, age group, etc. that may play a big role in your decision. I would let the school know as soon as possible. Good Luck!