Quite a dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher1st, Aug 5, 2011.

1. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I am a teacher in VA and have been trying to get a job where I am from in PA. I am supposed to start back to school in VA on aug 15. However, I got a call for my #1 PA school today. I am scheduled for an interview on Aug 10. It is going to be extremely short notice to my other school if I do get the job. Any suggestions about how to best handle the situation?

Also, I have been asked to bring my most effective reading lesson plan that teaches a comprehension strategy. Just to add a little more stress! Of course I have so many lessons in mind, but can't choose one. I would really appreciate any advice about the whole situation!!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2011

Well, it really is going to leave your other school in a bind. Your current school district does not have to let you out of your contract, and does the PA district know you are currently under contract? Most schools will not interview someone that is under contract.

Having said that, you can break a contract. The principal will usually let you out of your contract as soon as they have found a replacement teacher. Since you are leaving the state, at least you could claim that you had some kind of family emergency and had to return home.... I don't know that is a tough call.

I think your best bet is to be honest with your P upfront so that he or she can be thinking about a replacement, just in case that happens. Good luck and I hope you do well in the interview!

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2011

If you already signed a contract with the VA school, I think it would be unprofessional for you to back out of the position. Especially with school starting so very soon. In the future it might even make it harder for you to be hired for a position-- some schools might be worried you would do that to them again.

But depending on your circumstances maybe there is a need for you to move back to PA. Still, I would personally wait until the end of the school year to search for a position in PA.

Good luck! :)

5. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I have been trying to get an interview with this school for 3 years. I hate to give it up. My current school is very low in numbers this year. We will have 14 per class. If they don't replace me each teacher will have 17-18 per class, which is still less than our average of 22.

6. labar

labar Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

If your trying to get back around to where you are from, then I don't think anyone could possibly blame you for seeing if the job is offered to you in PA. I don't think it would hurt to let your current P know about what is going on just to give them a heads up.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2011

We all have to do what's best for us. Is there a way can work the 1st week or two at your old job without signing another yr's contract? If you're hired for the PA job, tell the VA job that a family matter has prevented you from continuing to teach there.

Good luck!

8. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I think it is wrong to lie to the school about a family emergency if there isn't one. They could find out and lying would just be making it worse. Be upfront and talk to your principal about this opportunity to interview at a school closer to home or interview and if you get an offer talk to the principal about it. Review your contract and talk to a union rep about your options.

9. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 5, 2011

I would give a heads up to your P about what you are doing. He could alert candidates he already has resumes for that a position in your grade level might be available and then interview accordingly.

In this economy with so many candidates schools aren't usually in a bind. Even though it sounds bad he could have you replaced in hours so don't worry.

Good luck!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

I agree with the majority of the posters. be upfront with your present P about your need(or desire) to move back home. You want to always show that you are an honest, moral person. If the PA job does not pan out, I would not interview again until after the school year is over.

11. newteacher1st

newteacher1st Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

And Here is the latest issue! My school sends out teacher assignment letters the same day as my interview!!!

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 6, 2011

Maybe its a sign? :confused:

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

I'm not a fan of people breaking contract, but moving to another state, to be back home, is an extenuating circumstance that I can appreciate.

If you don't feel comfortable telling your current principal about the situation, at least tell someone in a leadership role... a department chair, someone, so that they aren't left in a bind if you get the other job offer.

14. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

Well, I had a good professional relationship with my P and he knew for the 3 years I worked there that my heart was in another place. Do you have the kind of relationship with your P that will allow you to give him a heads up on your situation? If so I would let the P know that the dream situation has come up...as you explained the student rolls are low. Wouldn't the P want the best for you?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2011

You need to say something. Kids get really excited when they see that teacher name. A bond begins to form right then. I had kids crying in my classroom last year because their name was not on my HR. Now, I still had them in LA and SS, but because I was not their HR teacher, they were beside themselves. It was a mix up because the names were on both my HR list because we did not have another teacher in the math/science position yet. When they came to meet the teacher and we had my partner set up, they were so upset. Several of the kids really gave her a hard time the first few weeks. They DID eventually bond and things were fine. So, PLEASE talk to your P and give him/her a head's up.

16. r2turtle

r2turtle Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I agree, let your P know what is going on. Personally, I couldn't even interview if I had a teaching position even if it was my dream school this close to school starting. I just couldn't do it. What if it didn't work out at the second school and you went back to your original job? Would there be a tense work environment? Different people, different circumstances. I wish you the very best and hope it works out for you. Praying you get the results you want. :)