Quit rather than be non-renewed--what now?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kenz501, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

....but even if I do need a little extra help, most of that is related directly to my disability, right? They aren't supposed to be able to discriminate against me, are they?

Let's say I agree with you--student teaching should have helped me compensate for my problems, but I didn't really know what they were, and I still don't, to be honest. I just know that I hit these "brick walls" sometimes. There are quite a few things that so-called "normal" people can do fairly easily that I can't, and I feel like a total idiot for asking certain questions and struggling so much, especially since I can pass a written test on the subject with a lot more ease than most of them could probably; often, I don't even need to study. The only exception is mathematics and subjects that are related to it. Certain mathematical concepts lose me. I think I passed Calculus with sheer luck.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 10, 2019

They were not discriminating against you. If you continually underperform at any job, then your employer has meritable grounds for terminating you. You had support, you just didn’t think you did or agree with the method of delivery.

As a teacher, if you are not teaching your students effectively, then do you think you should stay employed as a teacher? After all, teach is in the name of your previous job title.

vickilyn and a2z like this.
  3. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

No, I guess I agree that it wasn't the school's responsibility to give me any extra training; it was the responsibility of the teacher preparation program I attended. It's humiliating to do so well on the academic stuff and then fail when you're expected to put it into action, though. I bet my supervisors thought I lied on my application or something.

I'm afraid that college doesn't really teach more than the academic side of things to teachers, and that can be learned nearly by osmosis on the job, so what's the point of it, really?

4. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I bet under the direction of a mentor telling you what to do and how to do it you were able to do what was necessary. You most likely had very defined responsibility when you were doing student teaching. Your mentor probably didn't say, have at it for the next month and let's see what you do.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

No, they didn't, but they should have...

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

If you read the post, by adulthood, you may also have other contributing factors, including ADHD and other mental health issues. You are right that they can't discriminate against you based on a diagnosed disability that you disclose during the hiring process, but I don't think that you can use it as a "get out of jail free" card once things are going wrong. It is the process of disclosure - you know what you need, and are explicit about those needs while interviewing. That is very different from making demands later based on a disability that wasn't disclosed, IMO.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you need to take a really good look at the section that guides you on how to be evaluated as an adult. The professionals involved are fairly explicit, and I am certain that the testing is pretty well documented as well. Once you have a well documented diagnosis, you are more likely to get help. However, you should realize that some of the things that might have helped as a young child will not be relevant now. I did note that they mentioned ASD support groups for adults, and that might be beneficial - you wouldn't feel so alone, misunderstood.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

Did you disclose that you suffer from ASD? If not, it isn't up to them to diagnose you.

a2z likes this.
  8. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

...I don't know the groups I've joined kind of just complain about society and such. I guess life does feel unfair if you have a disability and don't know how to compensate for it or even that it's going to play a major role until things go wrong. I'm tired of putting up with this. I hate that I'm probably going to have wait a long time on vocational rehabilitation. I guess they're speedy considering the type of service it is, but job skills training, and knowing what to say about my disability during interviews so that I'm not "shooting myself in the foot" but also not ignoring the accommodations I need, is more or less essential if I want to have any kind of career.

I meant they should have just left me alone in the classroom (well, not alone, but the program should have made the experience better mimic actual teaching) and seen how well I would fare. I probably would have failed, and that would have been bad, but it really wouldn't have been worse than having a teaching license I can't use. At least I wouldn't be qualified to teach, and I would have had to have found my own way somehow.

No, I didn't disclose during student teaching because I didn't know. I got the diagnosis shortly before receiving my master's degree.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

I managed 9 fast food locations in a small theme park before I began my teaching career. My salary was about the same as I make teaching, but it was not rewarding work. Everyone was assigned one task with in that environment---I had a burger guy, a hot dog guy, an ice cream/shakes gal, a cashier at each location, etc etc. etc.. so they got to know their one or two tasks quite well.

I think you and @a2z are misunderstanding. I am not explicitly recommending fast food. What I AM saying is: why are you latching on to teaching so long when it clearly doesn't match your skill set, and I don't really see any passion for it? You gave up fast food so quickly, why not this?

10. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Maybe it's sort of an unhealthy addiction? I've wanted this ever since I got to college and saw it as a career option. I love speaking in front of people and interacting with kids. I also love teaching people things. I'm actually not bad at it at all.

What I am bad at, unfortunately, is staying organized and keeping large groups of people on task. Really, my skill set is better suited to tutoring, not so much teaching. I don't know how to make lesson plans for my subject area (it's hard to explain; I can't read the curriculum guide and gain any understanding from it as far as building a lesson--the standards might as well be in Greek). A lot of districts have things to make up for this and get teachers used to planning lessons, but I didn't know what it was called or how to ask for it on my last job, so I went without it and frustrated myself trying to "wing it."

11. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

No. I don't think I misunderstood what you said.

What you said and what you are claiming you meant are two different things. How does your inability to properly convey what you meant become my fault for misunderstanding you?

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

OP, in previous threads from a few months ago, your diagnosis didn't seem to be made by the professionals that are suggested in my previous post. Has that changed?

13. futuremathsprof

Feb 10, 2019

The college did its job as I really doubt that they never had you prepare lesson plans or teach lessons on your own under the supervision of a mentor. In my program, I had to observe a fully-credentialed teacher for 72 lessons (50 minutes each) for my preclinical experiences. After which, I had to write up a detailed report of their classroom setting and pretty much everything that was done for each of the 72 lessons, and then and only then could I teach my own lessons. Following this, I had to submit very comprehensive lesson plans that ALL had to have a measurable objective, lesson of the day, guided practice, seating arrangement, etc. This went on for months.

I don’t understand how you could have passed your program without having successfully completed a teaching practicum under the guide of a mentor teacher.

Again, you did learn what you need to learn for your formal education. However, not everything can be learned in an academic setting. There is a certain aspect of learning ON the job. For example, in my biochemistry classes in college — I have an extensive scientific background in addition to being well-versed in math — I had to practice using all of the laboratory equipment for hours OUTSIDE of class in preparation for my lab practicals. It was ALL on me to learn to do it. Yes, my TA’s taught me how to use them in lab by demonstrating to us how to do so, but I had to learn the tricks of the trade myself; e.g., how to use aseptic techniques to transfer microorganisms, such as passing an inoculation loop at an angle through the flame of a Bunsen burner; how to prepare miscroscope slides for viewing using the right kinds of dyes and in the proper order to see certain microbes (this was very labor intensive), how to grow single bacterium in a Petri dish, how to work all the different kinds of microscopes, how to identify bacteria based on smell, morphology (through microscopic visual inspection), etc, etc.

I don’t know why you can’t get past the fact that college didn’t teach you EVERYTHING you need to know. In my math program, for instance, which was very intensive, I was not taught how to do mathematics proofs. Instead, I was taught mathematical techniques that I would need to know in order to FIGURE OUT the proofs myself. I had to teach myself Matlab (a type of computer program) to write my code for my Numerical Analysis courses, I had to teach myself Putty to do my Linear Algebra assignments, etc, etc.

That’s how life works. There is always a certain degree of self-help and you HAVE to realize that. No more, “I know, BUT...” No more but’s. Seriously. Accept our advice please.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    a2z and TrademarkTer like this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

Ok so there you go----you have been given plenty of options by people across this thread and others that meet that bill. Now it's time to pursue them.

a2z and futuremathsprof like this.
  15. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

...Yeah I told one of my professors that I didn't feel like I knew enough to become a teacher, and she told me something similar to this. I guess I do have all of the pieces. I'm just not good at putting them together. I'm really not trying to make excuses. This is all very frustrating to me.

I guess I should probably just do a skills inventory and find out what I can really do:

I'm not good at teaching myself if I set out to do it; I tend to absorb new knowledge organically, and it's hard for me to achieve any kind of deep learning this way. I guess that's because I depend on someone else to set the schedules.

I have a tendency to misunderstand people or misread contexts. This can really get in the way, especially if I'm expected to learn from those people.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

OP, do you absolutely have a diagnosis of ASD, or could you have ADHD, or other mental health issues? I ask because they all can share traits, but can be treated differently. Some with medication, others meds don't work. I would suspect as an adult, the diagnosis and rule outs could be fairly time consuming.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

I bet they did. I bet those who diagnosed you did, but you probably didn't understand what they were telling you.

18. futuremathsprof

Feb 10, 2019

But now that you DO know, what are YOU going to do about it? (Hint: See my previous post about lesson planning.)

Are you going to let this disability beat you? Are you going to let it run your life?

If someone offers you aid, even if you don’t understand their motivation or why, then take it. Listen to their advice, take notes (I wrote down everything my teacher mentors told me verbatim), learn how to take constructive criticism to improve and self-reflect (Was what I did effective? How can I do things differently next time? What worked? What didn’t work?), watch educational videos, find what works best for you. Get to it.

19. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I'm not one-hundred percent sure, no. I've been diagnosed with several different things. Some popular go-to's are some form of depression and maybe schizophrenia or one of its variants, even though I don't know where they would get that because I don't have most of the symptoms of that disorder--it's characterized by hallucinations, delusional thinking, and other traits that I don't really think I have enough of to make a convincing case. I do talk to myself, but that's OCD-related.

ASD makes the most sense, though, because I struggled with social relationships as a kid. It was nearly impossible for me to make friends in elementary school, and the kids hated me for some reason. I do not know why. I've also always had these weird fascinations, like in elementary school, it was mental illness. I might have given them some bad ideas about me somehow. Empathy has also been something I've struggled with grasping. When I was a kid, I just assigned feelings to other kids, usually negative ones. Plus ASD is hereditary, and most of my dad's family is high-functioning autistic.

I eventually learned to ignore everyone, kids and adults, and trust the people I knew.

20. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2019

Honestly, as an ENL teacher, 50% of my job is coteaching, and even the teachers that others hate still expect you to do some work. Co teaching is more about communication than other aspects of teaching are, and if the person you work with fails to understand you on a regular basis, or is not committed to understanding you because you guys don't get along, it can be a rocky road.

Seriously, focus on finding something that suits your talents instead of saying everything people have suggested is not for you. I'm not being mean, I'm just trying to help by saying the best way to get things is to be proactive.

Colleges are not held to higher standards because that is just the way the program is now. A lot of my professors in the teaching department were former teachers who had been out of teaching for quite a while, and while they had contacts and they knew how things were going in the teaching world, they hadn't had a chance to use a lot of the new methodologies they were teaching in the classroom. There is a disconnect between schools and the institutions that prepare teachers for schools. I just had this discussion with a student teacher who came to observe one of my ENL classes. I asked her if she was required to spend an entire year at the school, so she could shadow me at various points during the year to see how students are tested, taught, and then tested at the end of the year. She said no, that she was leaving soon for another school.

I was also trained in another state, and I also got my first teaching job directly after I finished almost a year of teaching in Asia. The disconnect between the two states and teaching in Asia was huge, and it required a ton of work outside of school to adjust. It is possible to adjust, but it looks like you don't have that option anymore, and you might not want to go back into teaching at this point.

The point is, if you felt like your college didn't help you, you should have gone and asked for help from people like a curriculum planner or someone else who is there to help you. Now that you are out of the public school system, reflect on what you could have done better and move on. My first priority, in your shoes, would be to get a survival job so that I could live on my own or get back on my own two feet. Next, I would go to an agency that specializes in job searches, so they could do an interest and skill inventory and tell you what some potential career paths would be. Career counselors, I think they are. They will not, however, get you a job, they will just point out what jobs are good for you and where you might look for them. The rest is up to you.

Kenz501 and futuremathsprof like this.
  21. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

????

22. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I'm looking for a "survival job." They really are not easy to come by, especially for someone who is afraid of people. (Agorophobia is actually one of my newer diagnoses--yeah, I guess I should go to someone who knows what they are talking about and stop letting some of these people diagnose me with the alphabet). I'm happy to have my freelance writing, but it won't pay too many bills.

People with autism often have strange obsessions / fascinations--cars, rocks, trains, planes, celebrities, dolls, etc. They can change or remain fixed.

Mine have been mental illnesses, animals--cats in particular, certain celebrities, grammar, words, video games, comic books, anime, teaching, educational psychology, and animal behavioral psychology.

23. futuremathsprof

Feb 10, 2019

I think it also goes back to age-old adage, “Easier said than done.” Putting into practice what you have learned is very different than just knowing it. You can memorize an algorithm to solve a Rubix cube, but if you cannot use said algorithm to actually solve it, then what good is it?

That’s also where many students fall short is that they say they know it, but when it comes time for them to demonstrate what they supposedly know (on tests and quizzes), then they can’t do it. And then when I require them to come to tutoring, I find out the reason why they can’t solve it and it’s because they don’t actually have a clue what they are doing and convinced themselves that they do.

a2z and Kenz501 like this.
  24. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Yes, but the phrase "weird fascinations" conjures all types of things. None of the things you listed I would consider weird. which is why I questioned the phrase. The word weird threw me since I do know about ASD and its obsessive interests.

25. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

My only question is who is doing the diagnosing - you, or a neuropsychologist, psychologist, or psychiatrist who has experience with ASD? Self diagnosing is a fool's game when you are talking about something with such long term impacts.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  26. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I wouldn't claim it if I hadn't been diagnosed with it at least once, except for OCD, because I'm almost positive I have that, yet the psychiatrist won't confirm or deny it. Everything else, though, I've been diagnosed with at least once I think.

ASD is one of my diagnoses, but there are other things, too, according to the doctor. I think it's really all ASD-related, though--depression (maybe), agorophobia, schizoaffective disorder (I'll need to ask for clarification on this one because I don't have significant delusions or hallucinations, so I'm not sure why this is listed), OCD (maybe; I have OCD-like symptoms, usually dealing with saying certain things), panic disorder (or something related to panic).

I feel almost like I need the ASD diagnosis, because I need social skills training and other forms of help, and my symptoms are not controlled by medication (I haven't had an easy time tolerating anything prescribed to me perhaps). Plus, I get along well with and have an easy time relating to the experiences of other high-functioning autistics.

Schizophrenia diagnoses bother me, because I feel almost like it's the equivalent of the "cancer" diagnosis you might get from typing symptoms into Web MD. It covers such a broad range of behaviors that the autism diagnosis could get explained away. Plus, it means I would be stuck taking meds for the rest of my life if it's true.

27. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Well, I guess what's "weird" isn't really the obsessive interests, maybe just to the extent a person can be obsessed with these things. I've spent hours and hours on my interests. Of course, that's not atypical for a female, so...

...and I guess doing a report on schizophrenia for show and tell, or something school-related, when I was in elementary school counts as weird, but it's not like I did things like that all of the time.

I don't think that won me any points with my peers, though...:(

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

OP, I only ask who is making the diagnosis because you are going to need that paper trail to obtain the skills training you desire. Because I teach SPED, I know that there will be a real need to have a definitive diagnosis done by one or more neuropsychologist, psychologist, or psychiatrist. Going into this with "I was once told it was X, but I think it is Y" will be counterproductive. My son has a documented disability that routinely allowed him more time on standardized tests, but as he has aged, as an adult, they are asking for current diagnosis rather than the ones from his childhood. Now, we are talking about a vision problem that has no chance of ever getting better, yet the requirement for further testing remains. Having dealt with students with varied classifications, I know that the diagnosis must be from the right specialist, or it is considered hearsay. Just sharing what I know.

29. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks for the tip. I applied for SSI. Even if I don't get it, they might be able to give me an idea of what counts as acceptable documentation and what doesn't. My ASD diagnosis was enough to sign up for vocational rehab and job skills training, though, even though it seems like they're taking their time getting back to me, or they're stretched very thin.

To get something more substantial I might have to see a psychiatrist who specializes in adult autism or something.

In other news, I think I'm going to apply for a telemarketing job or two and see if anything comes of that.

30. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2019

My EX was in his 30’s when he got his ASD diagnosis. It looked a lot like anxiety at first, and then I mentioned ASD to the doctor when we were discussing OCD-type issues I was seeing at home. I work with a lot of students with ASD, and I used the strategies for him that I used with them.

While it is true that workers cannot discriminate against you based on the disability, they can still fire you if you cannot perform the job.

I have worked with a co-teacher with ASD. It was tough. The person has the content knowledge and desire to do well, but it is a struggle for me. Even though this person looks good on paper and CAN do some things well, dealing with that person is more work that doing all the work myself. We have been teaching nearly the same number of years, yet that person drives me crazy needing extra assistance that is way beyond what someone should need at that point in a career.

vickilyn likes this.
  31. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

May I ask for an example?

Temple Grandin wrote a book or two on high-functioning autism. One suggestion she made that's stuck out to me is you have to become an expert's expert in your field or expect that no one will respect you, or at least that's how I might be interpreting it, anyway. Sure, the things we do well, we do very well, and, in some jobs, we are indispensable. In others, though, we're just the opposite.

My major was ELA, and that was a poor move my part, as there is just something about teaching English, if it's not just grammar and vocabulary, that I have a lot of trouble with. Sure, I can read and write well, but I do most of the things I try to teach my students without thinking about it, and my strategies for learning the material make no sense to some of my students. That's a problem, because, with ELA, it means that I'm basically learning along with my students, not necessarily how to use the skills I already have, but how to teach and explain those skills, as those, for some reason, are foreign concepts to me. That's why I needed the lesson planning guides so badly. Without them, I didn't know which learning strategies to use to teach the reading concepts. It made my job nearly impossible to do. (It might help to mention the person who took over my class later in the year was the same way; she just knew how to ask for what she needed and get help, from what I could tell, so I don't think I'm wrong in saying that lack of communication was probably the biggest problem.)

I'm not even sure it would happen with another subject. I've sub taught other subjects I was much less familiar with than ELA, and the lack of familiarity actually helped me teach those subjects to the kids. The problem I see there, though, aside from actually becoming certified to teach another subject, is that times change. I could become a good teacher of one subject I wasn't super familiar with, but I would eventually become familiar with that subject. Still, though, it seems like learning the teaching strategies along with the material is a good strategy for me since my thinking may be a bit more rigid than people without ASD.

I get that rigid thinking can be a problem, but I can adapt. It's just a slower, more methodical process.

A much bigger issue I have is classroom management, but I was never taught any real methods, just loose strategies, so I can't say for sure if my lack of familiarity with it is ASD related or not. I'll assume that it is, and well, the social disconnect might be a lot more difficult to overcome, but I've found that students don't misbehave much when they're engaged in learning something new. It's not the most effective management strategy, though, unfortunately.

This would be where I would need to depend on a more senior teacher on my hall, one who has already established a reputation with the kids. That's what I tried to do at this middle school job, and it worked okay for a while, but it all fell apart because I didn't know how to teach the content. Eventually the teacher stopped helping me, later claiming that I ignored her advice, and just let me "sink or swim." Predictably, I sank like a rock. I wasn't really ignoring her advice, though, I didn't know what to teach, so many of her organization and management strategies I couldn't apply because I had no plans to apply them to.

------
    Going back to the veterinarian example, though, I guess I should have just swallowed my pride and tried tried to explain that I was having too much trouble. I did try, though. No one who helped me even understood what I was asking about until I got in contact with the person in charge of helping teachers with the curriculum--a person the principal originally told me did not exist at the school!

Do I think the whole situation could have been avoided had I had more experience being upfront with people, thinking about what they needed to know, and how to communicate that information? I certainly do. I think the main reason I failed was that I had no idea how to communicate my training needs to the person in charge. She already knew I wasn't good at lesson planning, as I explained that. The other teachers knew as much as well, but what they didn't know was that I was also terrible at (a) understanding what my coworkers were telling me and (b) feeling "safe" explaining misunderstandings and shortcomings that might have been expected, given my skill level. The curriculum coach didn't seem to think my struggles were a big deal, and even the teacher who took over my classroom needed the lesson planning guides to teach the material, so I really am seeing it as a lack of communication.

Unfortunately, those are hard for me to explain, because now, now that I've had time to think about it, I had several ways out, but fear from past negative job experiences probably played a big role in me not even considering those as possibilities at the time (this isn't the first time I was expected to know a lot more than I was actually able to demonstrate--I mean I was practically a straight-A student, got hired by the place where I interned, why did they have a reason to think that I wasn't going to do well?)

No, since these things really are that difficult to explain, and I didn't even know what accommodations I needed, I think I should just assume that teaching at a public school is a bad fit. Would it continue to be a bad fit with more training? Maybe not, but do I want to take that chance after obtaining a master's degree and still being lost? No, I don't. I don't think I did the wrong thing by resigning, but I do wish I would have lined something else up in the meantime.
    -----------

Oh well, my objective now is to find a "survival job," something that will pay the bills regardless of if it's interesting or not. My freelance writing job was really easy to get, so online options may make the most sense--the interview process is handled via an easy to complete test, or sometimes interviews are done over the phone; in either case, there's no tricky face-to-face stuff to worry about.

Later, I may look for small online teaching or tutoring opportunities to satisfy this craving I have to work as a teacher.

Hopefully those things will tide me over while I wait on SSI and vocational rehabilitation. If this school year passes, and I still don't have a job I'm satisfied with (probably because vocational rehabilitation didn't help me find what they thought I would be best suited for), I may attempt to look for another teaching job with the understanding that I will fully disclose my disability, shortcomings, and known accommodation needs and will not put myself in a position where I feel pressured to stay on even if I'm not performing well. (positions that may fit this description are 'teacher's aide,' 'co-teacher,' and 'in-house tutor.')

I plan to keep my teaching license in both states current and get professional development when I can afford to pay for the classes, as here in Texas, they aren't free, unless there's something I still don't know about.
    -----
    Another thing I guess I need to do, but I think I've already started to do this with vocational rehab, is accept that not everyone who points out that I have limitations and am not suited for certain jobs is the "enemy" or "just interested in seeing me fail." In fact, it's probably the opposite, and maybe I should have listened to those people all along. I had to find out for myself, though. People can be stubborn sometimes, and I'm no exception.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  32. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 11, 2019

With a recent diagnosis of agoraphobia, you should look for jobs that let you work from home. I have a friend who does medical billing and coding. It required minimal training, and pays fairly well. I'm not sure how well you'd do with telemarketing, as that requires strong communication skills, though if there was a job where you could stick to a script, like giving a survey, that may be a good fit for you.

We have an employee with some form of ASD who works in our district. He is a homebound instructor, meaning he travels to the homes or hospitals of students who are too ill to come to school for an extended period of time. It seems to be a good fit for him. I can't imagine him managing a classroom of students.

33. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

Yeah, I agree that it's turning out to not be a fit. At first I thought it was lack of training, but if vocational rehab tells me it's something else, I don't want to keep "beating a dead horse." I would rather work somewhere I can thrive and make a difference. I hate being a hindrance on the job. It does nothing for me except fill temporary needs and make me feel guilty and frustrated.

I could probably work at a tutoring center or in some other one-on-one or small group setting.

I do hate that the only hint I ever got that any of this could happen were vague sayings, such as "college isn't for everyone." Had someone been more straight-forward and explained exactly why, I don't feel like I would have put up the amount of resistance I did. People have a very bad habit of not explaining what they mean, and in a context where I had to be the adult even when I was a child, they were easy to tune out.

34. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 11, 2019

OP, I doubt that you would have gotten any kind of "nice" message, because you don't read context. Unless you have a best friend who knows how to take veiled warnings and turn them into something that you would understand, well, I don't know how anyone would have come right out and said "you are wasting your money going through grad school." Heavens, they didn't bother to tell you when you were in undergrad, either. My best guess is that they figured that not getting a job with the first degree would stimulate your family and friends to point out why you weren't able to turn an education into a profession. It is easy, now, to say you wouldn't have put up resistance, but most people do have a way of tuning out what they don't want to hear or believe. I mean, how many posts have you written about "they won't train me" with answers like "it's not their job to train you - you should know this stuff"? I mean, those who recognize that you really don't get context have tried to say that, and point out that it isn't another teacher's job to "train you", but look how long it has taken for you to believe this and come to grips with it. Honestly, someone in your family should have recognized some of these symptoms and had a long talk with you. It shouldn't fall on the shoulders of strangers to be the bearers of such bad news, should it? Consider me confused about how you could get through so much schooling without some inkling that you didn't think like most people. Just a thought on my part.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  35. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2019

If your discussion on this board is any indication about how your respond to information you don't like, I disagree that you would not have put up the amount of resistance you did. People have gone from tip-toeing around the subject to being straight up blunt and to the point. It was irrelevant how the information was presented.

36. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 11, 2019

Please, Kenz. Follow up with vocational rehab. Have an adult without communication problems be on a call with you to vocational rehab. Give the other adult permission to discuss with vocational rehab. Ask for another meeting where you can take that adult with you so that person can hear what you need to do.

I have a funny feeling that there is also a disconnect between what was said at vocational rehab and what you are doing.

Please let me know you read this post because very post so far where I gave a suggestion of what you can do to help your situation such as speech therapy for communication skills or other therapy, you gave no response.

vickilyn likes this.
  37. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

Maybe. I guess it's taken me a while to really "come to grips" with the idea that I even had a significant problem to begin with. It's been masked by tough teaching environments, a bad economy, and poor preparation, but last year was a bit of an eye opener. In a nearly ideal teaching environment, I still struggled and failed. I think I'm finally getting the point.

No one in my family, except maybe my dad, would have been against me becoming a teacher; they, too, were mostly unaware of how much I was struggling or what was really wrong.

I definitely didn't know. I was distrustful of people who made those kinds of comments anyway; to me they translated more to, "you aren't like me, so I don't need to try to understand you." It didn't come across as genuine advice, more just something people repeat for reasons I don't know. That might be because they never suggested alternatives. I put it all in the category of "bullying" if it came from peers, "misinformation" if it came from adults, and it never came from the people I trusted, but those were mostly my professors.

38. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

Another job suggestion: transcribing. You can work from home and I think it’s a low risk job that will suit. Have a think about that.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  39. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 11, 2019

Kenz, this is as genuine as it comes. I have a family member that was once considered high functioning Asperger's, what is now ASD. I have had the conversations, tried to explain things like why don't others have the same problems, why do I have to work so hard, and the list goes on. Because I am in education, I did the research and figured it out. I have mentored that individual, tried to adjust the thinking when I can tell something isn't making sense, and sometimes I just have to make a hard call that ends with "do it my way first, and then we will talk." This individual can tell when there has been success after trying my way first, which allows for learning and more independent thought processes. I have been in the right place at the right time for this one individual. That experience has sometimes been hard for me, since there is so much to love about this individual. I love every success, every learning moment, and every bit of growth I have witnessed. Is it a path I would willingly choose for anyone to walk? Absolutely not. It makes every day life so much harder than most will ever know. I am grateful that many individuals with ASD are capable of living independently, often flying under the radar of almost all but the few who really know what to look for. I wish you success in finding a course of action that will make your life easier. I second having someone you trust in on every phone call. Realistically, your context skills are just not trustworthy enough to bet your entire future on. A second set of eyes and ears will be a blessing.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  40. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 11, 2019

Well, I do agree with you that things would be easier with an ally, and I don't really know why I trusted a system that I knew was unfair. I guess I thought that education was going to be an exception somehow, but no. I should learn from my mistakes.

People protest, though, for causes that make less sense to my mind than this, so it doesn't mean I'm going to ignore my complaint. Learning to communicate, regardless of how creative I have to be, though, is probably going to be part of the struggle.