Quit rather than be non-renewed--what now?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kenz501, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I'm open to it, but right now I don't really know where to look for those jobs.

Shouldn't that be the principal's responsibility? It's not like I took the job and failed on purpose you know. I was fairly upfront about my problems during the interview, and they still hired me. If they thought I could do the job, isn't that on them?

It's not like I was a vet and killed someone's pet or was working as a nurse and made someone sick. I understand the gravity of messing up in those professions, and I would expect a proper mentorship program to be in place to keep those mistakes from happening. Doctors have to do residencies after all, so why not have something in place to make sure teachers have the training they need? It's fairly well known that a lot of teacher preparation programs don't really deliver what they promise, after all, so doesn't that make sense?

That said, though, I'm grudgingly accepting that perhaps teaching, or at least what I've been trying to do, isn't for me. Way to make things way more complicated than they need to be, society. If there's truly no room for error, the teacher preparation programs should be required to make sure teachers know how to do the job before passing them.

Thanks for the advice, but is there like a career counselor's forum or something someone could direct me to?

These conversations, although truthful, are getting kind of discouraging.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 9, 2019

Here's a start:

https://www.indeed.com

Just type keywords like "library" or "museum" or "administrative assistant" into the search bar.

If you're hungry enough for it, you will find something.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Feb 10, 2019

Starbucks has a pretty different hiring process than say, McDonalds. Starbucks is looking for people with strong people skills and communication skills. McDonalds is more open to hiring a broader range of candidates. I still think you should try places like McDonalds. You need a job and an income. You can't be picky.

4. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I can try to apply again, but I've been fired, let go, whatever you call it, from a McDonald's before. My supervisor told me that I was not "McDonald's material," which I think was either mean or harshly truthful, as when I worked there, I had a lot of trouble keeping up, mostly because they expected me to do things they didn't train me for. The video training there is good; too bad employees had to bend the rules to keep up with orders; I'm not good at rule bending, and fast-paced environments sometimes leave me very confused.

Yeah, I thought I couldn't afford to be picky, either, but I did turn down truck driving school, and that would have been a very good income. My dad thought it was too dangerous, though. I would probably opt for that before fast food, though, because I don't want to risk being embarrassed in front of the kids I work with, for one thing.

Being picky might pay off, though, if I find jobs I can actually do well. The freelance writing gig is decent. It's just that I need about eight more jobs like this one to make a living.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Were you? You tell us that you don't communicate well. Maybe you only think you are clear about your problems. Isn't not being able to clearly communicate your needs one of the big issues?

6. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Driving a truck is very dangerous. You need to be constantly alert. You need to anticipate what will be happening all around your rig. You must be perfect in all weather conditions. You can't lose focus for long periods of time. There is also no way to train you for every circumstance you will come in contact with.

Then there is the social side of driving a rig depending on where you do it. If you are doing long hauls and pulling into truck stops, there are issues with unsavory others looking to con the naive.

Are you willing to work a rig that has known problems? Many trucking agencies don't want you saying anything when the brakes are going bad and the rig is out of disrepair.

If you can't make snap decisions on your feet, you really shouldn't be driving a big rig even with training. Double check if you do go that route that you don't owe them the money if you wash out. Some of these schools are scams.

vickilyn likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Well, look into writing for a tech company or some other company. Those jobs are out there and update a resume tailored to writing that includes the gigs you have done.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

A bad year can set a student back for the rest of their lives. It can change their self-confidence and how they approach the remainder of their education. A bad year can cause a student's difficulties to go unnoticed and cause them to be seen as a problem of behavior in the future rather than an educational need.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

No. That's true. What happened was I started to get scared after I got the position and started having problems. I had poor insight, so I wasn't sure if it was me or something they should have trained me for. Hanging out on the teaching forums didn't really help that much, either.

I was supposed to take these complaints or concerns about my job performance to the curriculum planner, but I had no idea how to contact her, and no one would give me that information, maybe because they didn't have it or need it? (the principal even told me there was no curriculum planner--I'm guessing now that she meant at the school, but I took her literally) Yes, there was a disconnect between what I needed and what I was being given.

No, I don't think it was altogether my fault, as (1) the principal knew I was trained in another state and was not familiar and did not know how to use the state curriculum guide, (2) I mentioned having autism (I waited to do this after I was hired but I still mentioned it), (3) I mentioned my disorder presented itself as a communication problem.

I guess I expected them to be able to give me what I needed. I didn't see it as an issue until I started working there, to be honest. Going into it, I thought they were going to give me everything I needed to be successful as a new teacher, and everything was going to go well for once. Yeah, that just doesn't happen in the real world apparently.

It was a harsh lesson, but I think it's at least taught me how to be my own advocate. I still think it's because they didn't train me. I can't see how anyone could come in and know what to do without being trained, or at least made familiar with the state curriculum guide, and they did have all of those resources available, but it took me a few months just figuring out who I needed to get in touch with to answer those questions. I didn't continue to ask my coworkers or my supervisor because it was like they were unaware this resource existed, or I was worried that not knowing would somehow be seen as a poor reflection on me, because I have a habit of seeming less knowledgeable than I really am, especially when I'm confused.

It was middle school, so the students were only with me for about an hour or two each day, not the whole day, so they were exposed to plenty of "good" teachers that year, too.

If it's such an issue, though, why don't they give the teachers better training? It's really hard for me to agree that I'm somehow "defective," and I think this is where this argument is going. I agree there's a problem with the system, though; if we're supposed to be as skilled as doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. why aren't we given that level of training? Why does teacher preparation just tell us that all we have to do is know our subject, pass a test, and observe a classroom for a month or two? I'm not disagreeing that the students deserve good teachers; I'm saying that the teacher candidates deserve adequate training.

I went through a legitimate accredited teacher preparation program in my state. I did not attend a fly-by-night for-profit college, and I did not just get an alternative master's degree. I studied how to be a teacher for around six years. Not once during the course of my studies did anyone give me much of an indication that something was seriously wrong. If my problems were bad enough to impede students' learning and this isn't something I'm going to learn on the job, why did they let me pass? They wouldn't do it with a doctor, you know!

I feel cheated now that I feel like I have a better understanding of what happened. I get that it's not a good idea for me to keep taking jobs I don't know how to do, but I also think the whole system is unfair. It makes no sense to get licensed for a job you can't do; the schools that grant credentials to obtain such licenses should be charged with a crime maybe.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Then commit. People manage job hunts while working forty to sixty hour weeks.

If you aren’t working, just what is taking up your time that you can’t commit to looking for a job?

a2z likes this.
  11. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I do work; it's freelance writing. It just doesn't pay very much. It's a "content mill" type job.

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

My comment had nothing to do with you specifically. It had everything to do with the fact that you don't see the seriousness of what one bad year could mean in the life of a student. I would say the same thing to you if you were deemed the best teacher on the planet and made the same comparison comparing the job of a vet or a firefighter.

So, you deciding where this argument is going is wrong.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Maybe it just goes to show the poor quality of teacher training in this country or the rampant grade inflation of colleges to keep the money flowing into their programs.

But you got the same as the others who manage to get by on how they were taught.

I've known people in other professions who did well in college but couldn't handle the job because the job required skills you can't teach easily in college classrooms.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Then work 70 hours a week between freelance gigs and job searching until you find that full time job. The rest of us have to do things like that when in tough situations.

15. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Look, even if college didn't teach me what I needed to know, why did I pass my internship if I really can't teach? I didn't take one internship; I took two--one for my bachelor's and the other for my master's. The one I took for my master's hired me as one of their co-teachers shortly after I graduated. If the school did a bad job of training me, why didn't they at least catch it while I was doing my internship? I agree that something went wrong here, but I'm not exactly sure what it was.

16. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

I agree. It just feels inefficient if not impossible to search for and find good jobs. That's one reason I really wish I were getting more assistance from vocational rehabilitation. I wanted to work while I was still in college, but I eventually gave up on the job search. I couldn't even secure work study positions--I was either too scared or the interviewer felt I wasn't qualified. When I finally got a job as a substitute teacher, I might have felt like I accomplished something.

17. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

Maybe no one trained them to catch your problems

18. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Because maybe your inadequacies were hidden by the support you received. Working with someone who can fill in your gaps is much different than being able to do a job independently. You were also mimicking the procedures and patterns of your mentor teacher rather than doing things on your own.

An internship of any kind doesn't guarantee that you can function without a full time support available. It means that under supervision you can do certain things and that only depends on the quality of your mentors.

Seems you might make a great aide or even a co-teacher when the other teacher is willing to pull you along for the ride. You might thrive in that school environment where you get stuck with a co-teacher so many others would absolutely hate who dictates how and what you will do in the classroom rather than let you have the reins and be creative.

vickilyn and futuremathsprof like this.
  19. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

But...putting that into a different context--in K-12 the educator is obligated to the student, and if the educator does not properly do his/her job, the educator is deemed "defective," right? Allow too many incidents of this to happen, and the whole school gets labeled, loses some funding, and has to be restructured.

If that's the deal, why aren't colleges, which are responsible for training the teachers who teach the kids, held to much higher standards? I would be happy with this, actually, because it would mean that if I were trained in such an environment, I would be unlikely to fail. Plus, my boss would have a more positive opinion of me because of the positive reputation of teacher training, and s/he would probably be more likely to work with me and try to train me, instead of just writing me off as a "diploma mill graduate" which isn't true, but I felt like maybe that was the way my boss was viewing me.

It's all a process, though. You don't start out knowing how to run a classroom; you have to work under a teacher who knows what s/he's doing first. Working under a teacher who has taught for years and copying her procedures and methods is a great strategy, and I do not understand why it isn't a mandatory part of the teaching internship.

------
    I realize there are malpractice suits that can be made against doctors, nurses, and others, and I would imagine that keeps even those who feel unprepared from hiding what they don't know; at least I would hope so. Maybe I should have pretended I was in a vet's office instead of a school and point-blank asked for a lesson planning demonstration. I was just too afraid that would have made me look incompetent. I didn't want to embarrass myself, and I realize that "it's about the kids," so teachers who have trouble doing their jobs probably wouldn't be much of a priority anyway. After all, if a nurse or doctor revealed that s/he wasn't confident, I would hope the hospital's focus would be on finding another doctor or nurse, not helping the one who needed more training! :nomouth:

Let me think about that for a few minutes and get back to you...

I guess I mean I wasn't give the steps to follow. See, it's not "common sense" to me what questions to ask to learn things, and I think it would have helped to have a list of questions, a set of goals, a list of learning targets to accomplish in so many weeks. I've already admitted that I sometimes have trouble wording my questions, and I'm also shy around people I'm not familiar with. I didn't feel like we were on the same page, usually.

Neither my cooperating teachers nor my supervisors really knew what to do about these problems I had. I guess I was hitting all of the learning targets they set for me, and they didn't have anything else to tell them what was wrong. I'm not sure I knew I was autistic at the time, so...

20. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Do you know what is less efficient in obtaining a job than searching for one?

21. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

What did you do in your internships if not work under a teacher who has taught for years? You said you had two.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Do you mean to tell me between your bachelor's and master's programs you never once had to write a lesson plan? Also, you mean to tell me there was no one who could give you an example lesson plan so you know the format expected by the principal?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  23. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

No, I didn't know what I needed to know, so the only way for me to find out would have been to ask for a step-by-step of everything, the whole process, so I could find out where I wasn't understanding. They weren't too picky about lesson plan format, but that open-ended-ness just left me confused.

I signed up with vocational rehabilitation hoping they could help me figure out (a) what accommodations I need, and (b) how to effectively communicate those needs to my employers, as I'm not very good at that.

24. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

The answer is probably not looking for one at all.

I get it. It's just a mindset thing, I guess. I don't want to put in the thousands of hours of searching, filling out applications, looking up companies, and trying to avoid scams that it takes to maybe, maybe find a legitimate job offer.

It would be a lot easier if I could just call some place that's hiring and get them to give me the job. Those opportunities are hard to find, though, and the real job market is competitive. I'm not lying down and giving up, though. I just need to better organize my search so that I don't get discouraged.

25. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 10, 2019

:beatdeadhorse:

Like Nike says, “Just do it.”

a2z and Kenz501 like this.
  26. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 10, 2019

I think in addition to applying for various jobs, OP, you should also start learning how to write a lesson plan. Here are some links to get you started:

Also, you should learn how to manage noisy and/or disruptive students:

Pick the lesson plan template of your choice by Googling “lesson plan template”.

Here is a tip that my advisor in my teaching credential program taught me: When you plan your lessons, keep a copy of the state standards and yearly overview and/or scope and sequence(s) nearby. DON’T start off my planning daily lessons, START by planning ENTIRE units. For example, in one unit last year in Geometry Honors, I had to teach students how to graphically and algebraically find the four points of concurrency (centroid, incenter, circumcenter, and orthocenter) for inscribed and circumscribed triangles with circles. In my lesson plans, I knew I had to allocate so many days to each topic and when my students should have their formal, summative assessments (that is, their mid-chapter quiz and end-of-unit test) and their formative assessments (informal, ongoing assessments that may or may not be graded). I also knew which days I would plan for reinforcement activities, group projects, and the like, which materials I would need, etc.

This is sort of analogous to a MadLibs puzzle. You have the template (in accordance with the concepts students are expected to learn and master for each unit), and YOU as the teacher just have to fill in the blanks (lessons per unit).

That is how lesson planning is made easy. FIRST, think of the big picture and THEN figure out how to get there. This will great simplify your job.

No. More. Excuses. We know you didn’t learn how to make lesson plans, so it’s your job now to learn. That’s already been established. You are unemployed and have a lot of free time on your hands. Get to it.

As teachers, our learning never stops — we are lifelong learners.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 10, 2019

If you stay in education, I would suggest with jobs that don't include classroom instruction. I think the best jobs would be for you are those that are repetitive, you learn once and they don't differ much after that - teaching is exactly the opposite.
    How about working for state - tests? Sich as proctoring tests (CSET, GRE, Praxis, etc), those jobs are pretty much the same thing. Or grading those tests.
    I have no clue where you would find those jobs, and how to apply, but I think you are qualified to do the and you would be be able to do them.

28. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

Kenz has made the decision that teaching is not for her, so none of this would be necessary. It'd be like saying that in addition to applying to various jobs, she should learn how to deliver local anesthetic or castrate a mule.

29. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Thanks. I plan to look at these.

(um...how do I insert pictures?)

It's not apparent from this screen shot, but this is what I was supposed to use to teach the kids--the teacher version, not the parent version. I only accessed this version because I no longer have access to the other version. This is what they never showed me how to use. I had to call the district to get help.

Nope, I decided that teaching is not for me now. That isn't to say it will be off of the table forever. I am hoping to get help from vocational rehabilitation services, and I am hoping to figure out where my communication problems lie.

I thought I explained already that I have had trouble with almost every job I've had; nothing has really worked, so far.

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

OP, I think you do know that the way you see the world is not the way that others see it. You may never be able to see it the same way, no matter how hard you try, but you do realize that the "they wouldn't train me/teach me/tell me" concepts are not common in the forums you frequent. Most teacher graduates realize they have to figure out the path from a to b to c without a lot of hand holding. Have I received guidance over the years? Yes, and I have given guidance, but if I had to do my work and someone else's on a continual basis, I would soon pull away and isolate myself. It wouldn't be fair for admin to expect me to "train" a new teacher without end. Trust me, no one would be offering me a second salary to do the extra work, and my own classes would suffer because I was distracted by the extra duties. Perhaps this explains why you had so much trouble getting people to "train you." I am NOT, for one moment, saying that you don't need that kind of one on one help, only that my contract won't cover training the teacher who can't teach the classes assigned to them. Knowing what you do know now, that teaching is fast paced and requires constant adaptations to be successful, would you be able to train a new candidate who was unable to keep up with the curriculum or presentations? In other words, would you be willing to put your job on hold to train someone who gives the appearance of needing help forever? I'm just asking the questions because I don't think you have looked at this situation through the eyes of those you want to "train you.".

As far as becoming a truck driver, well, I can envision you lost on a snow covered mountain somewhere, blaming the training for not being complete enough. I truly don't see this as a great choice. They expect these truck drivers to get from point A to point B is a set amount of time (or less), so any challenges, such as road closures, accidents, weather, would require quick changes to keep you successful. I'm with your dad on this one - don't get behind the wheel of a large truck.

31. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

But you so quickly threw out fast food because it was too hard for you. Why is teaching easier than fast food? I find that insulting.

32. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Why is it insulting? Teaching is a more highly respected profession, and it isn't as fast-paced as fast food. Teachers aren't fast food workers, so they're not as expendable. The working conditions are way better for teachers than restaurant workers. There are health insurance benefits and free trainings. Principals aren't irresponsible kids, like some fast food managers and will actually work to train you if you don't catch on immediately. I'm sure there are other reasons that it is actually easier to keep a teaching job than a fast food job, but those are the examples I can think of.

...I'm still going to argue that I didn't need any more training than anyone else. I just didn't know how to ASK for what I needed, so they kept giving me things I didn't need! It was very frustrating, and I said that I agree that since I don't really know what my problems are, how to honestly evaluate my own performance, or how to ask for reasonable accommodations, I shouldn't even try it right now.

...but I also explained that it's not just teaching--it's pretty much every job I've ever taken. I thought I was doing badly at fast food jobs because they were unskilled work, and employers could afford to be harsh, but I've had similar problems in my "professional" jobs, too! There is something wrong, but if I were to take this problem, whatever it is, as an indication that I couldn't do the jobs, I would probably simply not be working.

From what I know:
    I have trouble communicating my intentions non-verbally--non-verbal communication is the bulk of face-to-face communication. This causes all sorts of issues that I don't know how to deal with right now; at the youth center, I suspect it was part of why the students thought they could write so many complaints about me, and it might have been part of why my coworkers thought I wasn't interested in taking their advice.

I'm very shy, and sometimes even scared, of people if the relationship isn't made clear. If my coworker is also my mentor, that should be made clear; otherwise, I won't know if her offers to help me are an invitation to be honest or be polite. I suspect this also got in the way. From my perspective, my coworkers weren't "safe" to ask for advice; I was looking for a designated person to ask.

Hindsight, of course, is 20-20. I guess the best I can do is keep a record of this mistake so that if I'm ever in this situation again, I'll know what to do.

33. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Fast food is different and not the easiest job. In some ways teaching is easier. I'd never survive on a fast assembly line where my fingers had to continually do the same thing or I had to continually and rapidly identify something that was defective and remove it. I'd say, for me, teaching would be easier because it doesn't require the same skills.

34. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 10, 2019

We're talking about someone who needs repetition, training, and step-by-step instructions here----fast food more clearly fits that bill.

35. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

No. We are talking about someone who needs a slower paced job that is consistent and can be done in a step-by-step manner with little deviation or creative thinking.

Fast paced can stop certain people in their tracks and make them freeze up. It doesn't matter if the person can be taught step-by-step how to build that hamburger, if the pressure is on, the rest doesn't matter a bit.

Fast food is a stressful environment, especially at busy times. It needs someone who can work under pressure. It isn't stressful when patrons drip in a few at a time, but during the rush, it is a job like few others, especially at places that are known for their fast service. McDonald's used to have to give refunds if the order didn't come out in a certain amount of time.

36. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 10, 2019

Do you see the icons in the edit box. Move your cursor over them and you will see what each is for. Click on it and it will tell you what you need to do and the types of information it is used to embed. You can cancel if it is the wrong icon.

37. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

I'm pretty sure that OP has indicated that the fast food or assembly line work would not be suitable. OP also would struggle with decisions that had to be made rapidly (think find the defective part as the assembly line keeps rolling on at a "not slow" pace). We all have skill sets, but that wouldn't be in mine, to be sure. I can deal with rapidly changing student behaviors, but I can't make my fingers or eyes work fast enough to work on an assembly line. My dad worked for GM, and he was a repair man. I asked how new cars could need repairs, and he said that when someone was having a problem, they would just do any old thing, whether it was correct or not, when the assembly line rolled past them. It would make you never want to buy a new car if I told you some of the things he had to "repair" before they could leave the plant. Kudos to GM for knowing they needed repair personnel.

a2z likes this.
  38. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

OP, you see it your way if that makes you feel better, but most people can finish their Master's degree and get a teaching job without needing explicit "training" once on the job. If you struggle with non-verbal communication, why not ask who your mentor is/was? Also, why not ask how much they expect you to be able to do on your own? I entered teaching through the AR program, and I can tell you that learning the majority of it on your own is the difference of becoming certified or not. I respectfully disagree that you don't need more training than most. Many ASD workers have a one to one aid for an unspecified amount of time to learn the job. That is not the norm for your average new teacher.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  39. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 10, 2019

Have you ever worked at a McDonald's? I did when I was still in high school. It was one of the worst jobs ever. Everything happened so fast that I couldn't keep up. My coworkers made fun of me and distracted me. I definitely complained that they "didn't train me" well enough, and...the manager didn't really care to even try to figure out what was wrong and why I was performing so poorly...they just fired me. It wasn't a big deal. I didn't really need the job at the time. I just wanted to have one, because it was something teenagers could do, and I wanted to be independent.

What was a pretty big deal was when the same, or maybe something worse, happened to me at the job I took at that diner after Katrina. I was nearly homeless and got the job on a sob story. It was fast food, too, though, and I had a lot of trouble keeping up. It was loud and busy, the kitchen staff complained that I didn't always call the orders I took (it was really loud in the restaurant, maybe they just didn't hear me?). The cook and customers sometimes made fun of me. I forgot some of the procedures they went over. I was never able to keep track of all of the tickets (I don't know why; I suspect maybe a few customers were walking out without paying while I was busy doing something else; we had a lot of duties--it's also possible that others bused my tables while I was occupied washing dishes or serving other customers), and of course, I was eventually fired from that job, too, but not only that--they wrote that they fired me because they either caught me stealing or suspected me of stealing. Needless to say, that was NOT a pleasant experience. I'm lucky I didn't end up having to fight a court case or something. This was right before I started attending college, so that could have really hurt me.

That's why I'm really thinking that it's okay to be a little picky, even in times of desperation, not being that way can cost you.

40. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 10, 2019

Diagnosing ASD in adults is often more difficult than diagnosing ASD in children. In adults, some ASD symptoms can overlap with symptoms of other mental-health disorders, such as anxiety or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Adults who notice the signs and symptoms of ASD should talk with a doctor and ask for a referral for an ASD evaluation. While testing for ASD in adults is still being refined, adults can be referred to a neuropsychologist, psychologist, or psychiatrist who has experience with ASD. The expert will ask about concerns, such as:

• Social interaction and communication challenges
    • Sensory issues
    • Repetitive behaviors
    • Restricted interests
    Information about the adult’s developmental history will help in making an accurate diagnosis, so an ASD evaluation may include talking with parents or other family members.

Getting a correct diagnosis of ASD as an adult can help a person understand past difficulties, identify his or her strengths, and obtain the right kind of help. Studies are now underway to determine the types of services and supports that are most helpful for improving the functioning and community integration of transition-age youth and adults with ASD.

Treatments and Therapies
    Treatment for ASD should begin as soon as possible after diagnosis. Early treatment for ASD is important as proper care can reduce individuals’ difficulties while helping them learn new skills and make the most of their strengths.

The wide range of issues facing people with ASD means that there is no single best treatment for ASD. Working closely with a doctor or health care professional is an important part of finding the right treatment program.

Medication
    A doctor may use medication to treat some symptoms that are common with ASD. With medication, a person with ASD may have fewer problems with:

• Irritability
    • Aggression
    • Repetitive behavior
    • Hyperactivity
    • Attention problems
    • Anxiety and depression
    Read more about the latest news and information on medication warnings, patient medication guides, or newly approved medications at the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) website athttps://www.fda.gov/.

Behavioral, psychological, and educational therapy
    People with ASD may be referred to doctors who specialize in providing behavioral, psychological, educational, or skill-building interventions. These programs are typically highly structured and intensive and may involve parents, siblings, and other family members. Programs may help people with ASD:

• Learn life-skills necessary to live independently
    • Reduce challenging behaviors
    • Increase or build upon strengths
    • Learn social, communication, and language skills
    Other resources
    There are many social services programs and other resources that can help people with ASD. Here are some tips for finding these additional services:

• Contact your doctor, local health department, school, or autism advocacy group to learn about special programs or local resources.
    • Find an autism support group. Sharing information and experiences can help individuals with ASD and/or their caregivers learn about treatment options and ASD-related programs.

a2z likes this.