Quit rather than be non-renewed--what now?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kenz501, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 8, 2019

I put in my letter of resignation, like I was advised to do, after the principal said that she was not renewing my contract. I guess it wouldn't bother me that much, except I've been more or less unemployed since last school year. I have a tiny freelance writing business, but if I had to depend on only that, I probably wouldn't be able to pay the bills. I applied for unemployment but was denied because I "quit my job." I didn't really have a choice; a non-renewal would have destroyed my teaching reputation; at least that's what I was warned about--being non-renewed is almost like committing some kind of crime; it's very hard to find another teaching position after that. It's not like a regular lay-off. I don't really understand why the unemployment people don't take that into consideration.

To be fair. I realize that perhaps teaching isn't for me. I was completely upfront with my employer about having a disability, and the training still went by in a blur. I was still put in a position where I didn't know where to turn to get help with what I didn't understand, and I basically struggled blindly through the school year. I feel like they treated me unfairly, but I probably couldn't win a court case, so why not just move on?

I signed up for help from vocational rehabilitation, but I wonder if I'm really going to get any help from them in a timely fashion. It's already been six months or more, and I still don't have another job, except for the freelance writing gigs I find on the internet. My savings are pretty much spent.

I'm really discouraged. I didn't get a teaching degree just to sit around my house and look for work any high school student could do. Not to say I wouldn't be happy to have it, and pretty much any job right now, but I would prefer something I can do. I think I did what I was supposed to do. I registered with employment services, joined a teacher's union, and even signed up with vocational rehab. I don't know what other steps to take.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    MathGuy31 likes this.
  3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 8, 2019

What about one on one tutoring? A school setting did not suit but perhaps one on one tutoring could be an option, if you think content is not an issue.
    Or better yet, go a totally different career path, out of education. Perhaps a site like air tasker would help you in the interim.

4. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 8, 2019

Content's not an issue, really, but getting set up is. I have no idea how to advertise to the students around here, and the online market is hard to get into, too. I wouldn't mind, but so far I haven't had a lot of luck.

At this point, I'm open to almost anything, but I haven't really proven my reputation as an educator around here.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 8, 2019

I remember your previous posts, and I’d say you definitely couldn’t win a court case. While I understand that people do need assistance from time to time, there is also an expectation from the employer that you are mostly autonomous.

What about other writing jobs? Newspaper reporter? Copy editor? Textbook or testing company?

Whatever you try, remember that (disability or not) any employer is going to expect you to do your job without the need for constant assistance. The “you aren’t helping me enough” blame game won’t fly, and you will find yourself in the exact same position as now. I can already see that starting in the complaint that the vocational rehabilitation place isn’t helping fast enough.

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 8, 2019

Perhaps getting started through an agency that can pair you with students. I’m sure if you did a google search of tutors for your content area in your geographical area, you’ll have an idea of where these tutors are advertising themselves. You could even search Facebook groups for tutors, set up your own Facebook page, put up posters or pamphlets on community boards, air tasker type sites etc.

MathGuy31 likes this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 8, 2019

This.

It is unrealistic to think *other* people will do the job for you and that you can just show up and deliver content while reading a script. Teaching is just one of many duties we are expected to do as an educator and WE have to take charge of our classrooms in virtually all aspects, which includes, but is not limited to, lesson planning and behavior management.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I signed up for vocational rehabilitation services before or around the same time that I put in my letter of resignation. It's been nearly six months, and they still haven't found me a job. I think I can claim that they aren't helping fast enough at this point, right?

Two professionals, one my counselor at the employment office, told me that it wouldn't hurt for me to apply for disability benefits while I'm trying to get back on my feet, so I think it's pretty well documented, or at least will be, that I have a bona fide disability that does sometimes impede me in my day-to-day activities.

I've continued to claim that having an autism spectrum disorder, or being mildly autistic, hasn't been a factor impeding me, but after three failed jobs after college, I'm beginning to think otherwise. Yes, I guess I have come off as needy to my employers or maybe co-workers. I have a habit of asking the same question again and again because I don't know how to word my questions sort of. It's a little more complicated than that; I'm not always sure how to show interest and things like that. I guess this isn't a common problem because no one at the places I've worked seems to be responsive to it after the first couple of tries.

I also agree that it sounds like I'm making excuses. I've put off applying for disability because I didn't think I qualified for it. I'm an otherwise able-bodied person. I just have trouble communicating with people sometimes. Unfortunately, that's enough to take teaching off of my potential career list.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2019

"I signed up for vocational rehabilitation services before or around the same time that I put in my letter of resignation. It's been nearly six months, and they still haven't found me a job. I think I can claim that they aren't helping fast enough at this point, right?"

Just to put things in perspective for you, in my state there is a 10 year wait list once you sign up for vocational rehabilitation. So, 6 months waiting is a drop in the bucket.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2019

My ex-husband has an ASD with comorbid OCD. He, too, denies that it interferes with his ability to work. However, his inability to hold a job long term says otherwise. The combination of his ASD and OCD progressed to the point where his daily life was affected severely. The two of us fell into a viscous cycle of me stressing that he needed professional help and him claiming that absolutely nobody did enough, ever.

He only wanted jobs that he was unable to do because of the disability. He is an amazingly talented musician. People know this, and they honestly did want his services. Eventually people stopped hiring him because he had the reputation for being difficult to work with. For awhile, people were willing to help him be successful, but it never worked. Leave him alone, and he feels abandoned. Offer help, and he doesn’t know how to apply the help. Offer help with learning to apply the suggestions, and he asks why everyone can’t just help. When he is offered jobs that he can do with his issues, he doesn’t like them because they are beneath him. He feels he is wasting his training and talent as a musician by working a factory assembly line. He knows he could be successful as a musician, but nobody will help him.

:banghead: :beatdeadhorse:

Accommodations are fantastic, but at some point there absolutely has to be ownership from the recipient. I know this is more difficult for those with ASD, but eventually it has to happen. I work with a lot of students with ASD. Some work really hard and end up in successful careers where their limitations pose less of an issue. Other do not.

As far as disability benefits, that is a really tough one. The issue EX faced is that he did not qualify for regular Social Security disability benefits because he did not have enough Social Security work credits to qualify. He did not qualify for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) because he was over the income limit. (My income was taken into account when we were married. Then he lived with his mother, so her Social Security was counted.) He is still working with disability lawyers to see if anything can be done. It has been eight years. EIGHT YEARS.

I really wish I had answers for you. I know it is frustrating.

11. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

Wow, I did not know that. Well, they at least tested me and assigned me to a counselor, so that is something. I do still need a job, though, if for no other reason to keep my car so I can attend the vocational rehab meetings. I wish I wasn't so terrible at interviews. I could probably get enough confidence to apply for something like VIP Kid then.

Yeah, that sounds a lot like me, down to the combination ASD and OCD. I have the advantage of being single, though, so hopefully I won't be considered as "over the line" for SSI, although my dad lives with me, or I live with him, as he currently pays most of the bills since my job will not even cover my car payments. (Of course I feel really bad about that; it's one of the reasons I want another job so badly)I was told the process won't happen overnight, though, and can take a few months before benefits are granted.

I really do want to work, though, and it's just really frustrating when people "get in the way" and refuse to help me. I guess that's not really what's happening, but it's the way I see it. If I wanted to play devil's advocate, though, I could say that maybe I don't communicate my intentions well enough for anyone to know how to handle me. Yeah, that's a possibility. I don't realize it, though, and I don't like working with other people, usually, because of all of the communication problems I encounter, maybe they're on my end, but still you would think people would learn to listen. I wish I could just tell them, "no, I'm not some lazy jerk, dear coworker. I don't even know you, so how are you even making that assessment?" People are too quick to judge, IMO.

I don't want to bug vocational rehabilitation so much, but maybe they would try a little bit harder to help me if they knew the whole story. I wonder if I should just tell them this is kind of an emergency?

See? I don't think I would have ever thought of that on my own. I just automatically assumed that the people around here who tutor for a living are friends with the families they work for.

I did a quick search. It seems like only the big tutoring companies have a presence online here, so I think they are more word-of-mouth around here. I don't know how to do that. Not that I'm not willing to learn, but I don't even know where to start with face-to-face networking.

12. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2019

The big thing with having a disability is you need to learn to work with it. I have autism (mild) and anxiety and I learned to really be proactive in tackling my problems. I am organized, but it takes effort to do so, so I often set aside days where I have to tackle organization, that way I am not overwhelmed. I know a retired teacher in my family who is super organized, and she has taught me everything I know to stay organized. In addition, I tell the teachers I work with that I prefer email communication when things get busy, that way I have a hot minute to interpert what people say. I am also the list queen, lol.

Point is, you need to use strategies to help yourself to see if you can make progress on your own. Every disability is different given the individual with the disability.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

This person went to a restaurant every day. Every day he told the waitress he wanted pancakes. Every day the waitress brought these round, fluffy, cake like food with butter and syrup. Every day he would send it back complaining the waitress brought the wrong thing. He would pay his bill and leave in a huff because the waitress kept saying that she brought what he ordered. He would complain the waitress never listened to his order. Yet every day he ordered pancakes and kept getting the same thing.

You keep framing your problem as the diner rather than understanding how to frame it as the waitress which is a problem with ASD. How can the waitress know you really wanted eggs if every day you tell her you want pancakes?

greendream and futuremathsprof like this.
  14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

It's probably not just having autism. I could deal with that if I knew how to make up for my disability-related shortcomings I think it's more not really knowing how to work around it so well. I was diagnosed as an adult when I was getting my master's in Education; I was having trouble figuring out why I couldn't always keep up with deadlines and frequently misunderstood people when they told me something (well, it was more like I couldn't imagine the subtext of whatever they were saying; I just took it as they said it or imagined my own subtext, usually something to the effect of "this person doesn't like me, and that's just a way for them to be rude to me without me knowing.")

I was relieved when I was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, as it answered a lot of questions. Of course, how to get real help, and to what extent this problem really affects me, are still unknown to me. It seems like I have to fail spectacularly just to figure out where I'm misunderstanding things.

My latest teaching job, for example, the other teachers did try to help me, but I felt like if I was honest with them and told them I didn't really know what I was doing (I understand that's pretty vague, but I really didn't know how else to frame it at the time--what I was really having trouble with was I didn't know how to use the website that helps new teachers plan their lessons, but it took me months just figuring out (a) what was wrong, and (b) how to properly ask for help). I was under so much stress that I went home and cried. I understand now that what I thought I was asking and what I was actually asking were pretty different things, but at the time I was just too frustrated. I felt like I was given an impossible situation and I had nowhere to turn for help.

I felt like it would be frowned upon by my boss and coworkers if I kept saying that "I didn't know what I was doing," so I just pretended to understand and tried to cope with not knowing how to do the job. No wonder I was let go at the end of the year, but I'm still not too happy, because all they would have had to have done was communicate with me a little more openly, give me a "safe" person to talk to when I didn't understand my job, and give me some feedback about my progress that wasn't related to state evaluations. I'm extremely self-conscious, and I don't like to do things when I don't know if they are the right things or not. I guess maybe that was asking for too much, though. Maybe that's why I never mentioned it and just tried to deal with all of the confusion.

It is true that they didn't train me, but maybe they didn't expect that they needed to train me, or maybe they expected me to at least be able to communicate the problems I was having coherently.

I did tell my boss I had an autism spectrum disorder, though. I guess expecting people to "read my mind" is a problem I have. I don't always realize I'm doing it, and when I was younger, I thought people were just being mean to me when they didn't see it my way. I'm beginning to accept now that it was probably at least partially me, though. I'm not sure if I'm going to improve much, though, because when people start throwing around words like "entitled" and "coddled" and such, I shut up. They aren't going to even try to understand, so why even bother explaining?

I get it, but I really was not aware of how much "mind reading" I was expecting people to do until recently. I guess that's partially from keeping myself sheltered and saving most of my interaction for the people I think understand me.

It's important for me to remember, though, that the waitress isn't being mean to the customer because she's giving him what he ordered, even though he probably wants some meal with the word "pancake" in the title, but just doesn't know what it's called. I get the point, though. I also get how frustrating it is to think you've asked for something only to get a reaction you didn't expect, but since it's happened to me enough, maybe I should try to find out what's causing the miscommunication on my end. After all, I'm fairly sure everyone I meet doesn't just automatically hate me, at least I hope not.

15. futuremathsprof

Feb 9, 2019

You are falling back into the blame cycle again. Stop it. I don’t know why you keep coming on here to vent the same thing again and again. You just aren’t an effective teacher. Teaching isn’t cut out for everyone and that’s okay. Move on and stop blaming your ex-coworkers. Ima Teacher’s situation very closely parallels yours and you sound exactly like her ex. You were offered plenty of help. The only difference is that you STILL expect other people to do the work for you and that is the only thing that you consider help.

As we have ALL explained to you before, that is not how teaching is supposed to work. There is a certain degree of autonomy to the job. No one is going to hold your hand all the way through. You can’t keep using your autism as a crutch. One of my best teachers in high school was autistic and wheelchair bound due to his being a paraplegic. Guess what, he didn’t let either of his afflictions stop him from being one of the best teachers in the entire school district. He was that good and he always would say, “If you tell yourself that you can’t do it, then you won’t, so don’t tell yourself that because you are your own worst enemy.”

And you said it yourself: You didn’t think the other teachers were helping — they were.

TrademarkTer likes this.
  16. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I give up, okay? That's the way I feel, really; I have no excuse. There's still something wrong, though.

I don't understand the people who think I failed on purpose, who think I didn't try, who think it's somehow still my fault even though I tried almost everything I knew how to do.

I'm done. I give up. Close this thread already if it's going to become a situation where people claim "you "have no excuse" because so-and-so's autistic, and s/he functions just fine." I don't know what's wrong with me, okay? Autism spectrum disorder was a diagnosis. I just don't know how to do certain things, and it's really frustrating when people tell me over and over that I should just know how to do them anyway.

17. futuremathsprof

Feb 9, 2019

I am not happy that you are giving up. I just want you to acknowledge that YOU have to largely take charge of YOUR own destiny. You can’t go through life with the defeatist mindset that you currently have. Do you think rich people who started from nothing said to themselves, “I can’t do it,” all the time? No, they encountered failure after a failure, but they learned each time before they became very successful.

It will only make you miserable if you continue what you are presently doing. My goal is for you to eventually say to yourself, “This is temporary. I know I’m in a slump now, but I’M going to get myself out of this mess. I’m smart and have college degrees, so I’m obviously capable. Now, all I have to do is apply my knowledge and find the right niche.”

You don’t have to be a lead teacher to work in education. You can tutor, you can make tests for a testing agency, you can sub (no lesson planning needed unless you take on a long-term subbing position), you can be a teacher’s aide, etc. Why not try to go into special education to help other kids just like you (who have Autism)?

YOU have options. All is not lost.

Register at a temp agency and see what jobs they can line you up with.

18. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

Oh, okay. Sorry for the initial reaction. I thought this was going more in the direction of, "stop whining and making excuses and go get a job you lazy pathetic good-for-nothing." I think I was mistaken, though. It could have been interpreted that way earlier, but not now.

I'm totally open to registering at a temp agency, but shouldn't the employment office take care of all of that? Isn't that what they're for? I've gone to the employment office a few times, but a lot of their postings are a few months old and no longer hiring.

It was recommended I try sites like Indeed.com, and so that's what I've been doing.

19. futuremathsprof

Feb 9, 2019

It’s okay! And please don’t go, you are welcome on these forums just like everybody else. I just don’t want you to prevent yourself from being successful. :)

Have you thought about getting a special education authorization to work with students with special needs? I think you would be a positive role model to students with autism, in particular.

20. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I've thought about it, but I'm beginning to just not trust the public schools. They're underfunded and apparently happy to overburden a new teacher. The last thing I need is to be so busy I don't know what to do with myself. I think I need to be pickier about the jobs I take, really. That was the whole idea behind resigning and signing up with vocational rehabilitation. I thought I was doing the right thing. The stress of not having a full-time job is getting to me, though.

At this point, I'm just looking for a little "Plan B" or "survival" job to get me though the rest of the year and hopefully help me get through vocational rehabilitation training. Staffing agencies are a good idea, I guess. I just hope they keep their job postings up to date.

Another problem I'm not sure I mentioned is that I live in a pretty small town. I moved here to teach at the local school, but now that I'm not doing that anymore, this is a bit of a hindrance to finding a decent job maybe.

I just feel like I constantly keep undermining myself as a professional. It would probably be easier to find work if I didn't keep sabotaging myself.

21. futuremathsprof

Feb 9, 2019

Agreed, jobsearching is rarely fun. Why not try applying at private schools?

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 9, 2019

Hint: don't take a job you don't know how to do, especially when children will be shortchanged.

a2z likes this.
  23. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

I disagree. I think it is because you spent too much time blaming everyone else which you are still doing to a large extent.

Why don't you ask vocational rehab if you could get therapy through a speech pathologist to help with communication skills and social skills if they are needed?

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

Bad, bad idea. Being a special education teacher working with those who don't communicate well need people who are exceptional at communication and divergent thinking in order to figure out what the person with the disability means.

25. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

Did they do testing to determine based on your disability what jobs would be suitable for you?

26. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I wouldn't mind trying private schools, I guess. It really looks like my options around here are limited, though. If I want to stick to teaching, I should probably try online. I just don't want to mess up the interview. I hate it when I get to the interview stage of applying for a job and then mess it up. That may be why I look for jobs that don't really require a face-to-face interview. Those are easier to get and keep.

That depends. I could teach special education in a team teaching setting, as I've done so with ESL students. I could also work with kids who have high-functioning autism, under certain circumstances.

The problem I have with teaching is related less to effective communication and more to lack of proper organization and preparation. Yes, to effectively teach anyone anything, I need to get this problem sorted, and, since I don't currently know how, teaching is off the table, except in a collaborative setting.

27. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Feb 9, 2019

If you need a job now, have you tried fast food outlets? Many fast food organizations are open to hiring people with disabilities and you would get information about exactly what you were supposed to do.

This would also let you 'leave work at work.' If your goal is to work in education, that might give you enough time to do some volunteering to build your experience so you could eventually do well enough in an interview/ be independent enough to get a job. Basically, to get a job in education you have to be ready to do it now. It can't be a situation where you need a whole bunch of support. I suspect you might be a person who needs substantially longer than the time of a degree to be ready, so volunteering could be a way to bridge that gap. In the meantime, you could help pay some of the bills in your household.

28. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I wouldn't mind at this point, but I'm also a pretty bad fast food employee---why? It's too stressful and fast-paced. When I try to work in these kinds of environments, I get really stressed and forget what I'm doing. Plus, I don't handle embarrassment, bullying, or certain forms of criticism well and have only lasted a few months as a fast food employee in the past. If you want to talk about jobs that are a terrible fit for me, most fast food jobs are.

That said, though, I did try to apply as a barista at the local Starbucks. No one's called me about it yet, so I'm assuming I didn't get the job.

29. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

Why did you leave that job?

30. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Feb 9, 2019

My point is that it takes a while to get comfortable accepting help from others. Teaching is about knowing when to ask for help and knowing when you are expected to be the expert. As for expecting others to read your mind, a very wise person once told me that people shouldn't have to come to you all the time. You have to come to them sometimes. Doing so might make you grumpy and it might feel weird at first, but it really pays off. Have you also tried finding ways to enhance your communication skills or find a job that more closely meets your skill set? Teaching is not for you if you cannot find a way to make communication work for you.

Having a person to talk to about this might also help. You may think what you are saying is easy to understand, but it is always good to have someone else tell you how they feel about what you say.

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 9, 2019

Boy, you just nailed the issues that OP has posted about profusely. Best, or worst, part is that you lived with someone who displayed all of these same ways of "wanting help" but NOT wanting help in the same breath as OP. Even if OP had listened when it was pointed out that resigning would block receiving unemployment payments, that is a short term fix, in the long run, lasting a limited number of months, not years. If OP gets disability benefits from Social Security, it will almost certainly not be considered a living wage, equivalent to the income from being employed.

OP, if you have family to take you in who understand your problems, this may be the time to swallow your pride and go that route. It is not the time to blame all public schools because you didn't work out in the jobs they offered. If I remember correctly, you also didn't work out when teaching at the detention center. I also don't think that avoiding face to face interviews is a smart strategy - you may feel like you will get the job, but the employer may very well feel that they were duped, and you were deceptive. That's a terrible way for the school to find out just how much help you really need/want/require to do the job that someone else could do with a minimum of extra help or additional training.

If I was you, I would be on the phone constantly trying to get vocational training. If they refuse to help, find out why. Make sure your diagnosis of ASD is confirmed by a specialist who deals with these disorders, so that the diagnosis is not questioned. You will need all the documentation you can get.

Please, don't go into SPED - you need to be able to think on your feet and adapt to changing conditions. Additionally, you would almost certainly need more grad school, which I am certain would stress you out even more. Some people on this forum teach ESL online to children in China. I have no idea what the pay is, or if you would be able to do the work, but maybe you need to explore something like that. Best of luck.

a2z likes this.
  32. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

The program closed. It was only part-time.

That's why I should probably avoid it. I don't try to be, but I'm sort of thin skinned. It's easy to get to me, and I'm naturally distrustful of certain personalities.

I'm sure there's a reason why the interview is part of the process to begin with. I thought about VIP Kid, but that requires a whole demonstration video. That would require a lot of acting, and I've been putting it off, because I don't want to mess up a good opportunity by blowing the interview. I'm terrible at cold interviewing, but videos can be edited and tweaked. I guess I could sit down with a friend one day and make a convincing one.

I think my big concern with face-to-face interviews is my appearance. I'm not really sure what it is, but it seems like I only tend to get the job when I'm recommended by someone the employer knows...

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2019

No matter how much training, experience and support someone has, teaching is fast-paced and stressful. Working with others and communicating effectively are an essential part of the job. I understand that you have invested a lot of time and money in this career, but I'm hoping that you'll be able to find something more suited to your personality and strengths.

a2z likes this.
  34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 9, 2019

My EX did well (from outside points of view) with his factory job. They showed him exactly what to do, and that is ALL he did all day long. He worked there a few months, and then they asked him to train for a second task and train others for his job. That's where he hit panic mode. He quit, claiming that everyone made fun of him and nobody was willing to help him.

Perhaps you need a job where you have limited, repetitive tasks.

vickilyn and a2z like this.
  35. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

For a survival job? I would gladly take something like that. As long as it's not too fast-paced, I would be fine. The slower afternoon shift at a restaurant, a job tutoring a small group of well-adjusted kids, a position as a co-teacher, a job slowly assembling parts on an assembly line, etc. are all jobs I could do fairly well. It just gets harder when too much unpredictability or speed gets thrown into the equation. At some point, I just "shut down" and "panic" and have trouble thinking about the task.

Well, considering I can't even keep up with repetitive little fast food type jobs that are fast-paced and high-stress, I guess that's something to consider. I know it requires a lot of organization and such to do the job well, but the thing no one ever told me was that nowhere in teacher training or on the job do they teach you how to do it. You're kind of just left to figure it out on your own, and for me, that's a no-go. I need clear, structured, nearly step-by-step instructions to feel comfortable completing a semi-complicated task, but it's difficult for me to wrap my mind around the concept that everyone isn't like me and they just "magically" know what to do. I think it makes more sense that they were taught what they know, at one point or another.

36. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2019

It is my understanding that the employment office may let you know about jobs that are open that may fit your qualifications, but it it up to you to get and do the interview.

a2z and vickilyn like this.
  37. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 9, 2019

You may choose to believe that they were taught what they know simply because your own mind can't conceive of a world where people make connections intuitively based on their education. For you, your education was viewed as a how to manual, but that's not how most people utilize their education. Education is the road map, but you have to know how to connect the dots. I'm not sure that is something that you can learn, and I am addressing OP. Certainly trying to use the education that you paid for has not been successful for you, so there is something wrong in "connecting the dots". You can write, so maybe that is something you should look into. Not sure in what capacity it would work, but maybe there is something I am missing.

a2z likes this.
  38. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 9, 2019

Our temp agencies point you to their website and say, good luck.

Now, there is job training for the poor if they qualify but that is under a different umbrella.

39. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 9, 2019

You are absolutely correct. Any one looking for a job can seek out employment at the same place where you would go to draw unemployment benefits. Although OP is not eligible for money from unemployment benefits, any person looking for a job can view postings for workers wanted at the unemployment office that services you. Businesses like to post there, since it cuts down on the costs of running ads in newspapers that many people no longer receive. It would certainly be worth a look.

40. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Feb 9, 2019

I see the world the way I see it, and if that's not everyone else's perception, I guess I'll never know.

Yes, I've been trying the employment office. I was informed that a lot of people looking for work also use websites like indeed.com. I did manage to find my freelancing job by simply scouring websites and blogs, so maybe it's worth a shot. I could probably find a good job if I just committed to the search. I usually have other things to do during the day, though, and can't spend the whole day job hunting.

Another idea would be to just go where the jobs seem to be. For example, there are some truck driving schools that pay their students to train with them in exchange for accepting a contract upon completion of the training. I thought about going that route, but so far all I've found is CDL training, and my dad hates the idea of me getting behind the wheel of a truck, even though they would train me six months and pay me while doing so. I'm walking away from what seems like an almost "too good to be true" opportunity because I have been advised against it, but after failing that teaching job, I don't really trust a lot of things anyway. I wouldn't want to wind up stranded on a snowy mountain or something, after all.

These "pay to train" opportunities do sound good, though, so maybe I'll look and see if I can find more in other fields. I have options. I'm just getting stressed because I'm starting to actually need the money I make. People sometimes complain about teacher's salaries, but for a single person with few major expenses, it was actually a pretty good income.

41. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 9, 2019

How about a job at a museum, library, or book store? Administrative assistant? Post office worker?