Quit My Toxic Student Teaching Placement...

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by skyline, Jun 12, 2019.

1. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

Update:

I'm finishing student teaching this Fall in a new placement. I didn't fail, because I left before my CT could fail me. I decided to go when my CT: closed out my computer tabs before a series of lessons my supervisor was coming to observe, tried to send home required student work samples I had to submit to my college, and was making off the wall passive-aggressive remarks.

Now, the CT is trying to find out where I'm being placed this Fall.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 12, 2019

That CT sounds like she's a few fries short of a happy meal. Hope you have better luck with your next placement (how could it be worse?)!!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

LOL...missing fries and the lid on the drink wasn't on tight. I'm praying for a better placement! I can't imagine going through that again. My health was even being affected. I developed IBS from it.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 12, 2019

Why does she need to know where you’ll be placed this Fall? Is she trying to sabotage you? Yeah, don’t let her know anything and get far away.

What a nutcase.

whizkid likes this.
  6. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

I'm worried about that! I'm afraid my supervisor will tell her. My classmates did not want to get the supervisor I got. She would talk about my classmates to me (problems they were having), and one of my classmates told me my supervisor was telling her about my health.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. futuremathsprof

Jun 12, 2019

Put in writing a request that she not reveal that information to your previous CT. It is no longer her concern where you go and it would be invasive for your supervisor to reveal that information.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  8. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

Thank you! I'm working on writing the program advisor about it. I'm going to let her know my supervisor shared my health status with my classmate. And, I don't want her to share information about me with my former CT. This is something I really don't like to do. I wrote the email, but it's stressing me out to send it.

9. futuremathsprof

Jun 12, 2019

Her revealing your health status is a serious violation. Yes, definitely email the program advisor and maybe request a new supervisor because the current one is not working out.

Linguist92021 and whizkid like this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 12, 2019

Can you request a new supervisor? I'm so sorry you've had to work with a bunch of immature "professionals".

11. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

Is there usually a policy that prohibits a supervisor sharing someone is having health problems?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 12, 2019

I'm not sure if I can request a new supervisor. I haven't opened that can of worms yet. It worries me if I complain, and they don't change, but my supervisor hears about it, it could create problems. Thanks for responding and the support!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  13. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2019

That's how it is here. If you're not a particular administrator's favorite person and you decide to resign, they'll go all FBI and try to find out what district you're planning on going to (even out of state) and try to badmouth you to people they may know there. They give you continuous grief and hell while you're here and get mad that you leave, so that's their way of retaliating. I advise close co-workers not to tell anyone anything about where they're going, even if it's not in education. It may seem like paranoia, but trust me, it's warranted.

14. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 12, 2019

Sounds aaaaallllll too familiar. That's why I'm very careful about what I tell coworkers, especially administrators. I always keep the conversation about the job and never anything personal because they will tell it. They're extremely nosy and when people tell you everything, better believe they're telling everything you say too!

15. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 13, 2019

Thanks, that's great advice, but I had to give my supervisor my doctor's slip; that's the only reason she knows about my health. I'm a very private person and try to keep things professional. I'm a career changer, so I've learned that lesson a long time ago, and keep the focus on the job. I haven't told my mentor where I'm being placed, but my supervisor will be told by my college, because she has to go to where I'm placed and observe me. I'm worried my supervisor will tell my former mentor.

16. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 13, 2019

I really hate that type of behavior from people! They are the worse kind. Working on someone's job, their livelihood, is one of the lowest things someone can do to someone else! They are the stab in the backs. Has this happened to you?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 13, 2019

Oh yes. It has.

18. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 13, 2019

I'm sorry you've been through that!!! It's a real worry, and yes, people can say, you're being paranoid, but I know what you mean. I've seen enough that it has me worried with reason that my former mentor will try to sabotage me at my new placement.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    certification answers likes this.
  19. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 14, 2019

If you don't mind sharing, which I understand if you don't, did your ex-admin contact your new job? If so, what happened as a result?

20. certification answers

certification answers New Member

Jun 14, 2019

I'm really sorry as well. I'm sure that you'll bounce back.

skyline likes this.
  21. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 14, 2019

Thank you! I just want it to be over with already! The anticipatory anxiety is getting to me. After being in a bad placement, there's a lot of fear that it could happen again with the current process my university uses to place student teachers.

22. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jun 14, 2019

People getting in good with administration, lying, backstabbing, that's how my situation was similar, I wasn't in your situation per se, I mean the general troubles of working with human beings.

23. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 14, 2019

I'm not sure how to handle it in my new placement if it comes up. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb, because I'm not student teaching under normal circumstances. I'm supposed to be there less time, and I'll be doing it Fall semester, which my college only offers student teaching during Spring semester. I live in a rural area with my college being the only one within an hour, so local school districts mainly get people from my college, so they'll know it's unusual.

People are probably going to want to know why. And, what if just in general conversation my mentor asks about what I was doing for Spring semester? I want a clean slate and a fair opportunity without assumptions or biases seeping in from needing a new placement. So, how should I deal with that professionally?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  24. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 15, 2019

Question:
    How do I handle questions from people at my new placement about my 1st placement?

I'm sure the program advisor is going to have to tell my new school and mentor, because this is different than the typical student teaching experience. I'll be going less time and will be there during a semester that my college doesn't have student teachers. It's only offered in the Spring. We're the only college within an hour, so almost every student teacher comes out of my college. I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb, and I don't know how to deal with that or people wanting to know why my student teaching is so different than others.
    Thanks!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2019

"Unfortunately, I wasn't able to complete a student teaching placement in the Spring. I'm really thankful that the college was able to work with me so that I can do my placement now. I'm so excited to be able to experience the beginning on the school year!"

bella84, skyline and futuremathsprof like this.
  26. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 15, 2019

Thank you, that's perfect! What should I say if my mentor or principal or anyone specifically asks why I couldn't complete a student placement in the Spring?

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 17, 2019

I would say something like, "A personal matter came up, and had to be dealt with." That is vague enough to be true, but lets the person doing the asking know that you do not wish to discuss it further. And it can mean literally anything.

28. skyline

skyline Companion

Jun 19, 2019

Thank you MissCeliaB! Hopefully, my new mentor is socially adept and gets the hint I want to focus on the here and now and move forward!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  29. skyline

skyline Companion

Jul 7, 2019

How did you deal with the gossip and backstabbing that followed you to your new job?

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 7, 2019

Have you seen evidence that it is going to follow you?

31. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 7, 2019

Oh, it didn't follow me. I found it where I work.

32. futuremathsprof

Jul 7, 2019

I didn’t mean to chuckle, but I just couldn’t help it.

33. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 7, 2019

You come on here and you think that teachers in moderate/big cities are working at these great schools only to find out that their schools are nearly as sh**y as mine. It's quite mindblowing.

34. skyline

skyline Companion

Jul 7, 2019

The behavior I've seen gives me good reason to be concerned. My former CT is wanting to know my new placement location. This woman closed out my computer tabs before a block of lessons my supervisor said she'd probably be there to observe, tried to send home student work samples she knew I had to submit to pass my class, made numerous passive-aggressive remarks, and acted out towards me in numerous passive-aggressive ways. She's messaged me a couple times since I left asking if I found out my placement yet.. On top of that, my classmate told me our supervisor told her about my health issues and problems during a visit at her placement.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  35. futuremathsprof

Jul 7, 2019

Just block her and change your settings such that all of her messages get sent to your spam folder. Done.

If she continues contacting you, then report that she is harassing you to a higher authority.

swansong1 and skyline like this.
  36. skyline

skyline Companion

Jul 7, 2019

Thanks for the advice! I know what you mean, I'd like to bury her messages in my spam folder and forget her, but it's not that kind of messages. I blocked her for a short time, but then I got to thinking. If I block her, then I won't get the messages at all, and I won't know what she's thinking when I'm getting close to start. It may be good to have a record of those messages in case I need to go to the program advisor with it.

37. skyline

skyline Companion

Jul 8, 2019

I'm sorry you had to deal with that! It can take a toll even if you practice self-care. I hope things have improved for you in your current workplace?

whizkid likes this.
  38. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 8, 2019

I'm close to being vested in the state, so I'll breathe a little better after that. I'll know I'll have a pension coming.

skyline likes this.
  39. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 8, 2019

I always advise people who leave and are vested to try their best not to take the money out cause they'll get more back than we and our district contributed.

40. skyline

skyline Companion

Jul 20, 2019

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and support! Dealing with a passive-aggressive person has been one of the most challenging things I've done in a job situation. They are toxic, and passive-aggressive behavior is difficult to prove. I felt like I was losing my mind. Gaslighting was a problem. My CT, "I told you about that," when I know she didn't. Or, "I thought you were going to do X, Y, and Z," when that wasn't the reality. The advice I have if you're finding yourself confused and know something is off, but can't put your finger on it is to speak up early with concerns and document everything.

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 23, 2019

I can't imagine having the nerve to treat someone like that. And all the time to waste making your life miserable. Just...wow o_O

skyline and futuremathsprof like this.