Quit before non renewal Help!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Dragonfly1, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Dragonfly1

Dragonfly1 New Member

Jul 30, 2015

Hello,
    I would appreciate some advice please. This is killing me here. I worked as a hs sped teacher in a resource room for three years at a very small rural school (after initial trial year was offered 3 more continuing contracts) I did a great job and have great letters of rec from principal, glowing reference from superintendent and had proficient to exemplary on my evals. Then I wanted to move back to the city I came from. I applied for one resource room job, and based on my successful record, and recommendations I was immediately hired. I did not visit the school first before deciding to accept the job, which was a mistake. I was just so eager to return. The people there were great, but I did not have my own classroom, (shared a very small cramped one with another teacher) As I did not have my own room, I would have to take preps in the teacher’s lounge or library. I had to teach in four different locations. To get around, I used a cart. This not having my own classroom, where students came to me, really threw me. I found it difficult to do and I was not as effective as I was at the other school. Sometimes dealing with different technology was frustrating. Early on I knew I was not the same teacher I was before and I was very stressed, and felt anxious and nervous by this. (Even had high BP) My evals were not like before, which made me feel horrible, as I knew how good I was before. I was told I might not be renewed, and on the last observation the students behaved, but some were bored and not engaged (drawing a picture, one had cell phone out that I missed) and this hurt the eval. I went to my eval meeting and I felt it was better to resign at the end of the year, then get a non-renewal letter, which I did not, but would have. I asked if this was it for me and teaching and both supervisors said no, and that I had a lot of good things and that they were not trying to sabotage me. Both are great people who I respect very much. It really was not the right fit for me. I was not able to adapt to not having a room. I was not so effective. (Though students most showed growth. One student went from below average to above average 60th percentile on a norm referenced standardized math MAP test.) Also, my caseload of thirty sure kept me working non-stop. I rarely had any personal time, even on weekends. A much larger load than before. So now, here I sit, applying for jobs again with six years successful gifted ed experience, and three successful years sped experience and one year of an unsuccessful experience. So how do I explain this on applications that ask have you if you have ever resigned because of an impending non-renewal? I am looking for sped positions at small rural schools where I believe I am most comfortable. I am really feeling bad here. Thanks.

3. Barbera

Barbera Companion

Aug 5, 2015

Be honest. There are a ton of other schools out there. Ask those admins for letters of recommendation. Seriously.