Quiet class....

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by a_new_beginning, Jan 31, 2014.

1. a_new_beginning

a_new_beginning Rookie

Jan 31, 2014

Hi everyone.

I'm needing a bit of advice. I just started my first teaching job (art teacher, yay!) and I am teaching at three different schools. My first school of the day is exceptionally quiet.... and they don't do anything. I can't get any feed back from them and I am afraid of pushing them too hard to get things done. I don't really know how to approach the situation.

The kids are from a very low-income/poverty area and are mostly Hispanic. I'm white and 23. I know this makes it rough already.

Any input would be appreciated. I want them to enjoy the class, but I can't get anything out of them.

Thanks

3. ZebraStripes

ZebraStripes Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

I teach in a similar demographic. What I do when they're really quiet and/or tired is do silent ball, but modified. I'm not sure how well this would work in an art classroom, so let me know if this isn't feasible.

I teach English so instead of throwing a ball around in a silent room, the kids have to demonstrate their knowledge throughout the game. For example, I may pick the subject of verbs in the past tense. The students will pass the ball around and when it comes to them, they have to say a past-tense verb and then throw it to another student. Any wrong answers and you have to sit down. Perhaps you could do this with art vocabulary or something?

I also have a radio in my classroom and a music player on my computer (I go between two different schools as well). During work time I'll play music. It usually wakes them up a bit.

4. MissP89

MissP89 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

Hi,
    I'm a new teacher too, isn't it challenging when we're first starting out!
    I can certainly see how withdrawn/silent students would be a concern.

You didn't state what age-level the students are, but to me it sounds like art-related team building would be a good place to start. I know that some students feel as if they have 'no talent' in art because (as most people have) lack of ability to recreate reality exactly in drawing, so perhaps some of your students are also having some self doubt.

I personally would start with some activities which can allow students to show their hobbies, interests and personalities, such as silhouettes with collage, name art, etc, and make a real point of engaging with and talking to students about their work and lives, drawing comparisons to your own life as well. If you are willing to create and share your own example that would be good too. You could assemble the students' work in a collaborative piece to emphasise the team nature of each group.

It also might be a good idea to begin with very creative/freeform activities such as line art and pencil/marker work, so you can explain to students there is no 'wrong' creativity in art class and no such thing as someone who 'can't draw'.

I also liked ZebraStripes idea about playing music too, I think it would help the kids to loosen up and build relationships.

I wish you the best of luck. Personally, my classes have all been TOO noisy and with bad behaviour, so I'm the opposite end of the scale.

5. a_new_beginning

a_new_beginning Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay in responding. They are still quiet...except for two students with special needs that are constantly making inappropriate comments or just noise. They talk and I don't think they really realize that NONE of their thought stay in their head.

I'm still locked out of the school internet bypass system. I would LOVE to play some music, but I can't stream any music on my computer. I also share this room with another teacher who teaches at the same time I do, so I can't have too much noise anyway. I teach middle school and she works with gifted students, normally the younger kids and they spend a lot of time reading out loud.

Sorry if none of this is making sense. I'm really overwhelmed....