Quiet Activities during Testing...Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gutterballjen, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

For the rest of the week, every grade will be testing for the first 2 hours of the day except mine (Pre-K). We tried to follow our normal routine today, but we got 3 complaints that we were too loud. Normally, we do morning meeting, a literacy lesson, movement and centers. Centers takes up the most time. Our walls are pretty thin, so we have to be pretty much silent while everyone else is testing. This is really hard for 23 four year olds to do!

I don't have much to work with. We have super strict copy limits that have already been used for the month. We can't do our regular centers, even if we do it silently (per my P), I don't have a projector or a computer to show videos.

What can I do with my kids to keep them from disturbing the other classes? How can I keep this up for 3 days?! AAH! :help:

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Sep 24, 2013

Is there another room in the building you can use? Cafeteria? Library? Something that's not next to a classroom?

4. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Sep 24, 2013

Sadly no. All of the rooms that are typically empty are being used for testing those with accommodations.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2013

Wow, that's tough! I'd be very tempted to bring in a tv and DVD player from home...

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2013

Read aloud
    Tubbing
    Art activities

Can you take a nature walk outside? Go to the school library?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2013

I'd try to do a little more seatwork or woksheets during the testing time. I have my own copier at home, so if that means I have to use some of my own paper & ink for the week, I'm willing to do it. I've printed out plenty at home throughout the years when I was a sub & as an SLP.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 25, 2013

Word Searches with the students' own names in them

Tangram puzzles with foam pieces - or any other foamy activities with geometric figures

Small handheld puzzles (like ones sold at Barnes & Noble and other places)

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2013

I'm a big fan of word searches when it has to do with independent, quiet, seat work!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2013

The OP is a preK teacher. Word searches aren't going to work with her kiddos.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 25, 2013

Neither is staying quiet for testing.....

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2013

Haha...exactly! A story and a couple really quiet activities will probably be pushing it, and that won't cover all of the testing time.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 25, 2013

Is the gym available? If all the other classes are testing, seems like the gym would be empty (unless it's being used for testing too).

Then they can do physical activities and get all that "restlessness" out while still being far enough away from other classes to hopefully not disturb them.

You could do Freeze Tag, Dodge Ball or any number of activities that don't require squealing and shouting.

14. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013

How about:
    a read aloud outside
    Practicing sight words with sidewalk chalk
    Sight word hopscotch
    Abc hunt outdoors (find something that starts with each letter of the alphabet)
    Measuring playground equipment (by their actual feet or the whole length of their bodies?)

15. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Sep 25, 2013

Water fun.

Use eyedroppers and tons of little containers, however they can only transfer water using the eyedropper. If you want to extend the activity add a few drops of food coloring and let them mix colors one drop at a time.

Bring water outside and let them "paint" letters and pictures on everything........ they are amazed at how it dries.

:hugs: