Quickest route to full time teacher

Discussion in 'General Education' started by substitute_stev, Nov 14, 2020.

1. substitute_stev

substitute_stev Rookie

Nov 14, 2020

Hi,
    I've been a substitute and a full time PE teacher. (I'm currently working as a substitute).
    Due to having only a BA in Social Science, obtaining a full time teaching position is difficult.
    By the way, I do not recommend getting a "general" bachelors' degree as it will make your pathway to teaching cumbersome.

1.)Does anyone know how to become a full time teacher in the most efficient way?

2.)Which grade level is in demand?
    At this point I can and will teach anything to land a full time position.

Thank you.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 14, 2020

Possibly a MAT degree would work.

In my school, we have the most trouble finding math and English teachers. Fortunately we don't have positions come open all that often.

4. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 14, 2020

Check with your state and see what credentials you need. Highest demand will always be math and science. Areas of greatest need are inner-city school systems.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2020

OP, a great deal depends on what state you are in, because the pathways to teaching vary so greatly.

Caesar753 likes this.
  6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2020

This is what I was going to say.

Some states and districts offer ARL (alternative route to licensure) opportunities. My previous district had a program for people who already had non-education degrees. I know several people who did it. Quick and fairly painless.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:33 PM

Working as a sub is a good way. I would say that you want to focus on the level you're interested in, and then (as a sub) work there. I worked as a sub MANY years before I landed a job. This helped build the skills I needed. The key factor for me was the pound the pavement during the hiring season, hand delivering resumes. The online application process, I was like 0/1000. With hand-delivering (even though the job listings said don't do it), I was about 1/10 or so.