Quick turnover at conferences

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BumbleB, Nov 17, 2014.

1. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Nov 17, 2014

We schedule parent-teacher conferences in 10 minute slots, but almost 99.9% of the time, parents want MUCH more than that. I don't want to be rude and push them out the door when their time is up, but I have so many parents to meet with on conference night.

Would it be tacky to come up with a feedback sheet where parents could leave comments about what we didn't get to discuss and then I can call them to address these issues at a later time?

3. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

That's what we do at my school

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2014

10 minutes? I have never seen conferences scheduled that short. We have them 15 minutes and all 15 usually are used up. Personally, I understand 10 minutes, but I think it should be switched to 15.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 17, 2014

I provide my teachers with an (optional) checklist to use with parents as a conversation guide during conferences.

Additionally, parents know before they arrive at their child's classroom that their conference is only 15 min. I send a ConnectEd to all parents, too, reminding them to arrive on time and stick to the 15 minutes that are allotted. One conferences that goes over on time throws off all other conferences, which isn't fair to everyone else.

Many teachers even set a timer!

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 17, 2014

I would not do this. I would be upset as a parent.

I think if you know 10 minutes is not enough time, then you should simply schedule more time or follow up on another day.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Nov 17, 2014

Wow only 10 minutes for a conference? That's extremely short! We have 20 minute time slots.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2014

I put a schedule on my door and a note that says 'Please help me keep on schedule and knock if prior conference runs over into your conference time. Thank you.'

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Nov 18, 2014

10 minutes is not enough time with parents.

However, I make sure to address anything major well before conferences so we're not discussing new problems at that time. It is much easier to stick with the schedule if you're touching base rather than explaining a problem for the first time.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2014

I agree.

If I have major concerns, the parents (and students) will know about it long before conferences roll around.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 18, 2014

Ours are 15 minutes. Most of the time mine are very short. I keep in pretty constant communication if there's a problem. But most parents who come are my A students.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Nov 18, 2014

Just to be clear, I don't have control over how long the conferences are scheduled for. Admin set them at 10. I can go over, but like some of you said, it messes up all of the other conferences.

I also have parents show up on conference night without an appointment, which puts me in a tough spot as well. If I have to turn them down due to being full, they're visibly unhappy. I was trying to find a way to make sure all parents could get interaction with me in the short amount of time I have.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 18, 2014

We have 10 minute conferences- I write such detailed comment sheets that I can usually be done with going over what I wanted to say and address any of their concerns no problem. But we have an open door policy at our school- if you need a phone call or email or want to meet, there is time throughout the school year to do those things.