Quick Science Fair Project

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by momof6, Sep 8, 2008.

1. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

We were just informed today that we need to do a run through of a science fair project *including completed display board* to be displayed next Thursday night at Open House. That's right folks...I have seven days to complete this. Any ideas for a QUICK project??

3. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Are you supposed to be doing an investigative project, or an experimental project? I can't remember at what point they switched us over in school...

4. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

That hasn't been specified. I think any project involving the scientific method will do. I just want it to be engaging for the kids, as science is last in our day and already a difficult time for us!!

5. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I usually do one with my students just to walk them through all of the steps. I divide them into groups then have them actually do the experiment. They do everything except for putting the info on the board.

I tell them they are going to put a piece of ice on each piece of colored construction paper. They need to make a Hypothesis (educated guess) about which ice cube will melt the fastest. They usually choose black.

I give them each small pieces of construction paper. (each a different color ie: red, white, black, blue, green, yellow, etc)
    Each group has to put one ice cube on each piece of paper. The ice cubes need to be close in size and shape. They time how long it takes for each piece of ice to melt. It doesn't take long for this to start to happen. I tell them they cannot blow on the ice, move it ( causing friction), or aide the process in anyway. After they have timed the ice. They have to make a graph telling which one melted the fastest etc. If for some reason the piece of ice on the white paper melts faster than the black. They need to tell in their conclusion some of the reasons that this may have happened ie; the white piece of paper was right beside the window, under direct light from the over head lights, near where someone was breathing, someone moved it around on the paper...etc.

Anyway it's a pretty quick and easy experiment.

HTH

6. mylonite

mylonite Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

How about electromagnets? If you wanted the class to do the experimenting you could put them in groups, let some vary the wire gauge, some the number of turns, some the battery, some the core size or material... It's all quick enough that you could verify all the results yourself in an afternoon.

7. KDS

KDS Companion

Sep 9, 2008

How about diving ketchup...put a packet of ketchup in a full water bottle...with the lid on, when you squeez the bottle, the packet should rise and fall...

you could test if anything other than ketchup works...

it doesnt btw...mayo, soy sauce, taco bell sauce...nada

i got it from Steve Spangler

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000090

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I have a fun lesson on static electricity. All you need are large pieces of felt, flavorless gelatin packets, and balloons. I used it for one of my principal observations, so I have an "official" lesson plan on it saved on my computer. Send me a pm with your email address, and I can send it to you...if you are interested, of course.

9. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

What plants need to grow. You just need lima beans and lentils. Place the beans between wet paper towels, inside baggies and keep them in a sunny area. Keep the paper towels moist and you will get sprouts within 3 days. Put a baggie in a dark area with water and one in a dark area without water. Also place a set without water in a sunny spot. Those last bags serve as comparisons. Have them make their predictions on day 1 and observe each day. You can have them keep a log for data by checking and recording each day. The kids may be surprised by some of the results.

10. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Gobstoppers

Give every student a Gobstopper and they have to guess what color their candy will change into after 1 minute in their mouths. Keep on timing for up to 5 minutes and see what their predictions bring. Then give each child a petrie dish and have them place the Gobstoppers (5 I think) in rainbow order in the dish with water. The colors look awesome but them they combine and make a mucky color.