quick question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kavade, Nov 17, 2017.

1. kavade

kavade Rookie

Nov 17, 2017

Hello folks (and TeacherGroupie if you are still here),

Could someone please tell me if the CBEST, having been passed once, needs to be taken again after a certain period of time? I'm wondering if it ever "expires." I think I read somewhere that once it is passed, that's it. You're done.

I passed the CBEST years ago, I have an MA, and I'd like to do a little substitute teaching at some point.
    To do that I think all I need now is the background check - is that right?

TeacherGroupie, if you are still here, how are things in The Golden State? I hope all is well with you. I'm still in the Land of the Rising Sun, but due to retire in a couple of years. Maybe I'll see you around!

Best to all at A to Z.
    Kavade

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 17, 2017

Hi, kavade! Good to hear from you again!

CBEST scores are good forever.

Preliminary credentials can be revived in circumstances of which yours remind me. This could come in handy, for districts that choose to require more than bachelor's-and-basic-skills of their substitute pool.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. kavade

kavade Rookie

Nov 18, 2017

Hey there, Teacher Groupie! Thanks for the confirmation.Good to know you are going strong!

I was (many moons ago) doing a credential through the internship option. But I abandoned that in favor of working in Japan and doing a liberal studies MA. I finished the MA, and I'm still in Japan, though eyeing a return to California in a year or two.

I'd like a little supplementary income when I get home, since my retirement income will not be huge. So, the substitute option seemed workable. I also thought I could do a little substituting when home on vacation from Japan for a two month break in the spring. I need 8 more credits for social security.
    For the SS problem, I'd also like to pick up some credits doing online teaching, but everything I have seen strikes me as dubious. ESL/EFL is my thing, but I don't like the look of the ads I've seen online.
    Is there such a thing as a solid, reputable online teaching company? If anyone can recommend, I'd appreciate it.
    ありがとうございました!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 19, 2017

Let me point out that some slack might be cuttable for your activities overseas. In addition, while you were Otherwise Occupied, California has gone and sprouted an English Language Development credential; you might want to chat about it with the COE to which you're likeliest to return.

6. kavade

kavade Rookie

Nov 21, 2017

I had no idea. I will indeed check the new English Language Development credential. Ah, California
    Such an inventive place! Man, I miss it!

7. kavade

kavade Rookie

Nov 21, 2017

Thank you, TG!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 21, 2017

The new credential area first came to my notice three years ago, I believe. I quite approve, not that anyone was asking me.

You're more than welcome, and one looks forward to welcoming you back.

9. kavade

kavade Rookie

Jul 30, 2018

Hello again Teacher Groupie, and anyone else who might share an opinion,
    I'd like to solicit opinions about the California Adult Education Credential. I was looking at the requirements and they are, uhm, not very stringent, it seems. But it's not at all clear to me that it is worth doing, though truth to tell it doesn't look very involved. Any comments from anyone?
    Thanks for any input.
    (Oh, I have an MA in Liberal Studies and TESOL Certificate and an English/Religious Studies BA. I'm just in the market for a little extra income after retirement, so committing my life to a standard teaching credential makes no sense in my situation.)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 30, 2018

As far as I can tell, the DSAE (Designated Subjects Adult Education) credential would enable a K-12 or 9-12 school district to hire you to teach those of its adult-education courses for which you'd qualify. Community colleges offer similar coursework but don't require the credential: instead, there are specific academic or work-experience requirements, depending on the specific course. Noises were being made about smoothing the path of community college instructors wishing to teach in districts' adult-ed programs and vice versa, but at the moment I think nothing has come of that.

Community colleges tend to maintain pools of applicants for part-time temporary teaching, and for academic subjects at least the requirements seem to be fairly consistent across the CCC system. I mention this because it means that application packets may remain on a community college's website year-round: you could have a look at the website of a likely CC to explore what it's requiring for the kind of teaching you want to do.

11. kavade

kavade Rookie

Jul 31, 2018

That was what it looked like to me too. So given that it doesn’t seem terribly rigorous I think it’s worth it
    Thanks TG

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2018

That's what, um, fiends are for, kavade. Good hunting to you!

13. kavade

kavade Rookie

Aug 7, 2020

Hello again Teacher Groupie, and all at A to Z,
    Could someone please tell me what the following means? It comes from a community
    college equivalency description for a job posting. If one has an MA of some sort, is this
    irrelevant? I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the sentence and the only thing I can think of
    is, for example, two years in a PhD program, or...well, I don't know what else.
    Help? Thanks. Kavade.

• A minimum of two (2) academic years of supervised discipline-specific research and written work similar to that of a master’s thesis

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2020

Hi, kavade! Good to have you back.

I think the point of the requirement is to screen out those who haven't done research and writing at a postgraduate level (that amount of specialization and depth and accountability to advisers). It wouldn't surprise me to find that more attention is paid to this point when one is fresh out of school than when one has a track record.

15. REP

REP New Member

Aug 24, 2020

Hi TeacherGroupie, Would you mind sending me a private message? I wanted to get your advice on whom to contact for CEST English tutoring but could not figure out how to private message you. Thanks

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 25, 2020

I've responded to your email.