quick question for those with lots of interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pommom, Jul 28, 2015.

1. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

Do all teaching positions require a demo lesson? Has anyone got an offer by just doing the interview?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2015

I have been teaching for over 40 years. I have taught at about 7 different schools in that time. I have had about 9 teaching interviews in my career. I have never had to do a demo.

I think it may be a regional thing.

4. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I've gotten an offer after just an interview, no demo lesson. I'd say only about 10% of my interviews required a demo lesson. I feel like it depends on the districts/schools you are applying to.

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I've only ever had to do a demo lesson when applying for a midyear position. I've never done one during the summer hiring season.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 28, 2015

I've never had to do a demo or a second round interview that wasn't with the superintendent or the board.

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 28, 2015

I've never done a demo lesson.
    Most of the interviews I went on required me to do 2 interviews, either a working interview (but not teaching a lesson) or a panel interview.
    Some gave me offers after the first interview.
    I'm scared for the day I have to do a demo, hopefully it never comes... :)

8. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 28, 2015

I have only had to do two demo lessons throughout the four years that I was interviewing. I was offered a job this summer that did not require a demo. Where I live, it depends on if the principal wants you to do one or not.

9. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

I have had to do 4 demo lessons total. Some interviews have been only 1 interview, and others have been 2 rounds - first round with just the P or a screening interview, and second round either a demo or a panel interview. I think it depends on the district but also the timing of the interview. I have had some summer interviews that did have me do a demo during summer school, but I was just offered a job very recently and it was an initial interview with the P only, and he initially said that the second interview would be a demo, but that they weren't able to work it out with their summer program, so it just turned into the second interview as a panel only.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2015

Every district is different- sometimes even from year to year. I've done several demo lessons (3-4, I think).
    First job- one and done interview, 2:1- on the spot offer
    Second job- one and done, 2:1- on the spot offer
    Third job- mid year, two interviews (5:1 then 2:1) plus observing and interacting with the class, but no demo. One the spot offer.
    Fourth job, one and done. 3:1

11. ~HistoryNut~

~HistoryNut~ Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I hadn't even heard of a demo lesson before this forum. My university has a good teacher ed program so for them to omit that little gem tells me they aren't common here.

I've heard most districts here (mine included) have an HR screening interview, after that the candidate's information is forwarded to individual principals. For my district, that was the final step. My principal offered me the job on the spot and I signed my contract a week later.

There is a district here who has an 8 step hiring process, so that may include a demo. I wouldn't know because I totally bombed out on step 1: a totally awkward "one way digital interview." A demo lesson would have been preferable over that, methinks.

12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

I recently had a great interview and was asked to come back and do a demo lesson in front of a panel. The demo lesson didn't go good. It was uncomfortable and kind of awkward. I hope I don't have to do this again for my upcoming other interviews this summer.. This demo lesson was asked by a charter.

13. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 28, 2015

I had never heard of them before this forum, either.

14. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 28, 2015

I had one demo lesson and got a job offer from it and turned it down.

No other demos after that. It depends on the district. From what I've noticed here the more urban the district the more often than not you'll have a demo lesson.

I think they want to weed people out who just want certification and a quick job then leave. Suburban districts don't bother with demos.

15. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I'm a first year teacher, but I had three interviews before I got hired. None of those interviews (all from the same district) asked me to do a demo lesson. I didn't have to do a second round interview either. I actually never heard of demo lessons before I started reading this forum.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2015

I moved around a lot because my husband was in the military. This will be my 9th year teaching and I've taught in 3 different states. I've probably had 30-40 interviews and never had to do a demo lesson. I think I've only had to go to a second interview once. All the offers I've had have been after only one interview, even though I've had a few tell me during the interview that they would be holding second interviews.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2015

I've done demos for maybe about 20% of my interviews. Some places around here will do 3rd and 4th round interviews, demos, etc. and others will hire after one interview. Strangely enough, IME the schools around here with tougher populations that may have a hard time getting as many candidates tend to have the most involved interview processes. At my current school we hire people after a short phone screening and one 30 minute in person interview. I thought that was really strange and hesitated to take the job when offered, but everything worked out! When I'm on the interview committee I think it's really hard to get to know someone in a 30 minute interview and I often wish our process was more involved. However, we have extremely low turnover, so I guess it works out! All of our new positions are either due to newly created positions or retirements.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2015

It definitely varies by district and region. I've had everything from a single-round panel interview to a two-round interview plus demo lesson to a full day group interview with various stages, including a demo lesson. I think it depends on how much time and effort the hiring team wants to put into finding the right candidate.

19. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Jul 30, 2015

I interviewed with 9 districts since I graduted in May:

For 8 of those 9 districts, the first interview was a screening. I went to 3 second interviews, then 3 lesson demo final interviews.

It depends on the district, they are not looking for the content, they are looking on how you engage with the kids, and conenct, and respond to the situations that arise during the lesson!

20. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 30, 2015

I also have never heard of second round interviews until this forum. Maybe it's a smaller districts in other states like where applicants meet the superintendent. Ours stay at the bigwig corporate offices and we see them in pictures. They come around to select schools and if they get to your campus it isn't a faculty meet and greet but a view in a select classroom and like the pope if you're teaching you can't stick your head out and shake and hand and have a few words.

Screening HR interviews too mostly come from the urban districts/minority majority. They want to weed out people that might balk at teaching at Dangerous Minds looks schools or baby Dangerous Minds in elementary.

Suburban where minorities are the minority or even numbers 20/202/20/20 of all demographics don't both with HR screening and demos. You apply, and principals choose who to interview and if you're a go HR processes your stuff.

21. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 30, 2015

I've gone on what seems like a million interviews in the past few years, and what always strikes me is how different the hiring process is in every single district. Some have a multi-step process, some require demos, some only have one round. I've learned to expect the unexpected.

To answer your second question, I've gotten two offers from just one round of interviews, and another offer after two rounds. I've been second choice after demo lessons twice (in the same district - ugh!)

22. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2015

For one interview abroad the director asked me to come in and teach one sample lesson a day for three days. I think it was incredibly helpful to not only her, but for me. She got to see my teaching style and interaction with the kids, and I got to see a little more into the school environment.

I was offered the job and accepted.

But of all the other interviews I've had, and it's been a lot, I only had the interview.