Quick Games that get kids moving?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by seemoreglass, Aug 24, 2008.

1. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

So my schedule stinks. Kids start coming in at 8:05 and don't have a break until 12:05 at lunch!!! Math followed by reading!! Obviously as I'm not a fan of torturing students, I plan on giving them breaks throughout the morning, specifically in between subjects.

Anyone have any ideas for quick games that get the kids out of their seats and moving for 5-10 minutes?

I'm thinking simon says, but then I'm out of ideas.

3. amber1011

amber1011 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

you should just have them either do jumping jacks around their desks, or even hop up and down...play some music to make it fun. When I student taught, my teacher told the kids to walk around and shake it out while counting to 10 and when they got to 10 they had to be at their seats again. I try to just transition them from the reading corner to their desks to the Smartboard...and if they get really antsy I think of cute review games to play for 10 mins. I split the class in half and one person from each teams comes up..I ask a question based on what we're studying and the first to answer gets a point. This really gets kids to pay more attention when I want to teach something!

4. collidingstars

collidingstars Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

i always did stretches with my kids - arm circles, neck rolls, up to the ceiling down to the floor... etc
    transitioning from one area of the classroom to another helps (desks to carpet area, carpet area to groups)
    around the world can get kids up and moving
    "i have who has" - a type of review game you can do in any subject gets kids to stand up
    have them sit on their desks (if it's allowed, or they can stand) and give one student a spelling word. if they get it correct, you move on to the next student. when a student gets it wrong, they have to sit down in their seats.
    heads up 7 up
    if you have one of those multiplication, division, addition, or subtraction blow-up cubes, you can toss that around the room. or those beach balls with theme, main character, setting, etc. on it.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 26, 2008

Could you expand on this one? It sounds like it would be fun and a good way to review, but I'm not sure how you do it.

Thanks!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 26, 2008

7. collidingstars

collidingstars Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

This review game takes a bit of preparation, but it's worth it.
    Each student gets an index card with a clue on it. Each index card leads to another index card.
    For example, I would start, reading my index card, which says "I have 24. Who has 3x7?" Then the student with an index card that has 21 on it, stands up and says "I have 21. Who has 8x9?" etc. Each card will lead to another card, and then the last student will stand up and say "I have ___. Who has 8x3?" Then I would read my index card, which says "I have 24." Then you can shuffle the cards and deal them out again. This is a great game because not only do the students have to listen for their math problem, they have to solve each math problem in their head.
    You can do this with any grade level and any subject. I did an I Have Who Has game on vocabulary words from my animal unit in science. For example, one card's clue was "Who has the term for an organism that eats only meat?" My students really loved the I Have Who Has Game and enjoyed trying to see how quickly they could go through all of the index cards.
    I know they make books you can buy on grade levels/subjects for the I Have Who Has Game.... for those of you who don't have time to make cards of your own.

Basically, the only tricky part about this game is making sure you have 1 card for each student, and making sure you know who starts the game, or making sure you start with the leading card. Once the students understand the concept of the game, you can pick any student to start. If you have a student that's absent, then you can choose a student to hold more than 1 card or you can hold more than 1 card.

I hope that explanation wasn't too confusing. :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Gather children in grps. of 4-5 in a circle holding hands. Blow up a balloon and they have to work together as a team to keep it up in the air. (Kagan activity).

Students stand up and count from 1-10 without anyone else repeating their number . Ex. Student A and B both stand up and say "1" at the same time then you have to start all over. Student A says 1, B says 2, c says 3, d&e say 4 at the same time then you have to start over. Students need to stand up as they say their number so that same student doesn't stand up again. There will be "hogs" here who always want to start so I tell them that they need to wait and call a larger number. Before too long they start reading body language and know when to stand and when not to.

10. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I don't have a site, but you can download a great resource called "Energizers: Classroom-based Physical Activities." It is from East Carolina University's College of Health and Human Performance. Maybe if you google?? All are great curriculum based physical activities that can be done in anywhere from 2-10 minutes.

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

PS...mine is a younger version of the one from the link above from Ms. J.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

Oh. Mr. K., I didn't know there was a younger version. That excites me, though some of the older stuff works for 4th and up, depending on the group. :)

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 26, 2008

I call this Don't Step on My Toes. You can count, say the ABCs, multiples, etc. It is super fun-my kids have made it up to H in the alphabet, they can't seem to get past there. We play this a lot when we need a state change.

14. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

thanks guys. these long mornings are killlling me. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get them to stop asking when lunch is. Especially when they start asking about 2 hours before lunch!!

Anyway, here's the energizers for K-5 I found in case anyone else is interested....

http://www.ncpe4me.com/pdf_files/K-5-Energizers.pdf